PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii-100 year old color Pictures

Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii invented the Periodic Tables, and a method of taking color pictures, which have lasted 100 years. Kind of amazing since modern color pictures may not last that long The film based ones won't.

There might be some great reference photos among all of these, whether architectural, or mechanical, or anthropomorphic. I found it interesting. The curtains on the truck cab is something I had not seen before, also answers some questions I always wondered about of open cab trucks like that. Below is a link to the Google search results, and a couple of samples.

sergei mikhailovich prokudin-gorskii photos - Google Search

Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing!

Wyvern
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
That's really impressive!
Thanks for the information

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Great pictures and there is (or was) an exhition of his work in the Library of Congress (link here). But color photography was pretty much invented in Scotland in 1855 by a physicist James Clerk Maxell as he introduced the idea and principles of color separation and how to produce a color picture on a paper - separation being the famous RBG. First color separation photos were taken by Thomas Sutton in 1861 and then that pioneering work work of the two gentlemen was forgotten for about 30 odd years.

The same basic principle was then reinvented several times around the world. It was American Eastman that introduced the flexible film for the first time 1885 and the transparent roll film in 1889 Kodak. The latter led to Edison's motion picture development. Color in film form was introduced later. Prokudin-Gorskii envisioned all that and did some experiments of his own but those didn't lead t anything. All these pioneering color works of his were pretty much glass plate photography.

Prokudin-Gorskii used a tecnically pretty clever camera invented by his teacher and mentor photochemicist Adolf Miethe Those years were busy years in developping and inventing and re-inventing everything needed for photography as we used to know it. Digital world changed all that but it's a different story.

BR Tappi
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Apparently the Library of Congress purchased all of his work some time ago. It seems like the photos on glass plate held up the longest.

I posted he invented the Periodic Tables, and his own method of photography, not color photography, which has been invented, forgotten and invented several times, as posted. The only color photos the I have from the 60's have seriously degraded, all have been digitized, but these prints will not last like the ones on glass I (the digitized stuff will last as long as there's are 1's and 0's, and a method for sorting through them).

Inventions can be strange like that. We know more now about who invented what and where than the people who were reinventing the same subjects.
Google Adsense
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Well I figure he didn't invent those either. He did study chemistry in Saint Petersburg and there his teacher was Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev who is credited to be the creator of the Periodic Table of Elements. But go figure, interesting fellow anyway and a creator of a great photocollection. He travelled around Russia by train and had train wagon converted into a photographic laboratory.

BR Tappi