PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.88 MB
I love the anchor chain....just in case it were to float off....

John
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Haha,

Yes, it actually seems like it rains in the photo - the Forecastle deck is wet. I wonder if the wood holds out in really bad weather . . ?

Best,
Bengt
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM

Anyone know the timescale we are looking at for the release of the new kits?

John
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
It is said, that "Shipwright" will do their best to release at least one model at the end of 2012r.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM

RMS Titanic, HMT Olympic, & HMHS Britannic in 1:200 Scale

Sounds nice, Strk,

Hopefully the RMS Titanic . . ?

All the best,
Bengt
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hopefully, HMT Olympic . Her camo looks awsome
Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 AM

Print Colors of The New SZKUTNIK Nr 201 Titanic Model

Hi Strk,

Any news on the new models? If Shipwright needs some input from modelers world wide, I'd like to contribute with something on the RMS Titanic;

If you have any contact with the people who will design (and eventually print) the paper model, please tell them to go REALLY easy on the saturation of the print colors. Sadly, GOMIX-Fly Model made such a terrible mess of all the colors. The Schreiber-Bogen model is much, much better and cleaner, but in my opinion, the colors could still be a bit more subdued (less saturated). See for example this excellent YouTube clip for a Schreiber-Bogen model in the water: Titanic Metal Leviathan - YouTube

The color of the funnels (The White Star Line 'Buff') is a subject for much debate (as no real color sample of this exists) but some modelers have come very close to what seems to be the general established opinion on this matter, for example Peter Garner-Davies and Jason King. The most important thing is that it doesn't become dark 'mustard yellow', as seen in so many plastic models over the years. Here is Jason King's 1:100 scale scratch-built model under construction:

The shade and brightness of the red anti-fouling color on the lower hull is another matter where opinions are divided. On the paper models to date, all attempts have been too bright (and in GOMIX-Fly Models case, bright pink!) - the color needs to be really dark and subdued in saturation, bordering on dark rust red.

The bright Oregon pine decks (for example the upper boat deck) which are so bright in all the period photos, are in the models hitherto published much too brown or dark. Schreiber-Bogen (and aslo Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen's 1:250 scale model, to some degree) has made the best so far, in my opinion. This close-up in broad daylight (colder light) of Peter Davies-Garner's model shows clearly how very bright they should be:

It is also important to have some variation in color, brightness and texture, so that the wooden decks 'come alive'. Here is the bridge (with the GREY roof!) and forward well deck of Peter Davies-Garner's first 1:48 scale model, the one which has been published in his book for ship modelers:

A couple of years a go, I played around with a photo of the GOMIX-Fly Model Titanic, and came up with this rather quick Photoshop proposal with corrected colors (for example if the model is scanned and enlarged) - the decks are still a bit too dark and the color of the funnels a bit too much Magenta (or red):

Compare the image above to this one, with the ACTUAL colors of the GOMIX-Fly Model, and you'll get the idea:

Let's hope that the designers of the new detailed SZKUTNIK Nr 201 RMS Titanic model have learned from previous mistakes as far as print colors are concerned.

Please give my very best to the SZKUTNIK designers,
Bengt
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 AM

Titanic Model Breaking Up

Hi again Strk and everybody else,

Sorry to steal your thread again. Just have a look at this hilarious video, of a Titanic model with a 'historically correct' breaking up and sinking: Dog Sinks Titanic - YouTube

Bengt
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Shipwright White Star Tender 'SS Nomadic' 1:250 Scale Model

Great news!

Paper Shipwright in the UK has published a very fine and detailed 1:250 scale model of the White Star tender 'SS Nomadic' - one of Titanic's tenders:
SS Nomadic | Paper Shipwright

Unfortunately, the White Star Buff funnel color is just a little bit in the 'mustard yellow' category (in my humble opinion), which of course can easily be corrected by scanning that very part...
This would also be necessary if you would like to construct a Cherbourg sea diorama with the upcoming SZKUTNIK 'RMS Titanic model', which will be in 1:200 scale.

All the best,
Bengt

PS. I have ordered the Paper Shipwright 'SS Nomadic' model - Ł10 in all, with shipping.

Last edited by Bengt Fredén; 05-11-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Fredén View Post
Hi again Strk and everybody else,

Sorry to steal your thread again. Just have a look at this hilarious video, of a Titanic model with a 'historically correct' breaking up and sinking: Dog Sinks Titanic - YouTube

Bengt

I am not so sure it really was the dogs fault....

but I laughed anyway.

John
Google Adsense