PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
my guess is you'd do a swap for sure
For sure,for sure, Peter. A class 1 Tina costs around £5k nowadays, whereas I'm looking at £23k for a class 2 DS21.

No the Jag isn't BRG or Bronze. It's a nice pretty sky blue ...
And the RRC is silver ... "Hi-Yo-Silver" (Lone Ranger)

Johnny.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
For sure,for sure, Peter. A class 1 Tina costs around £5k nowadays, whereas I'm looking at £23k for a class 2 DS21.

No the Jag isn't BRG or Bronze. It's a nice pretty sky blue ...
And the RRC is silver ... "Hi-Yo-Silver" (Lone Ranger)

Johnny.
Looks nice John, not into the RR's but i know there are a lot of folk that love 'em. The Jag is a beautiful beast, i'd like to take her up the Motorway to stretch her legs
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
The Jag is a beautiful beast, i'd like to take her up the Motorway to stretch her legs
43 years old, and she can still do 150 mph. Trouble is I couldn't resist and did it too often. The wife was not only scared to drive it, she refused to even ride in it, so it had to go. I tread the RR throttle much lighter, and the Mrs enjoys being able to see over the hedges. It's Teddy bear upholstery is sooo comfortable too, but that big lazy ol' V8 can lay on the revs if you ask it too.

Johnny.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Being a fan of old Buicks, I always had an appreciation for Rovers, and all the other cars that ran the 3.5L V8.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmccool View Post
Being a fan of old Buicks, I always had an appreciation for Rovers, and all the other cars that ran the 3.5L V8.
To an American, I suppose my refering to it as a BIG lazy ol' V8 must raise a smile. In US terms the 3.5 lt V8 is a tiddler, eh? But, over the years, especially in the Land Rover sheds, the engine did grow to 3.9 and eventually 4.2, both using CPU controlled Fuel injection systems. I prefer carbs though, so I guess I'm stuck with the 3.5. I lost track of what they did with them after 1998 though, and I'm not sure if the original Buick block is still in use.

Johnny.
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM

From what I understand, Rover finally discontinued that engine when Ford bought them.

To me, this engine made a great deal of sense for the American market, it was just ten years ahead of its time. Imagine if GM had been able to offer that engine in its mid-sized cars during the fuel crises of the '70's. They were very short-sighted in selling it off as they did. One of the more novel applications I saw for this engine was in repowered Toyota 4X4 pick-ups in the late '80's. It was almost as light as the 22R 4-cylinder, but had loads more power, as long as the owners knew a friendly smog inspector to get around the law.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM

Prior to the Rover V8, the only 'home grown' V8 available to us Brit Hot-Rod fans was the Daimler Hemi. A beautiful light-weight alloy motor, but very hard to source. (Don't even mention the Triumph Stag abomination.) The 'Rover' found it's way into many a hybrid though. I personally grafted one into a Bedford CF van, and a sister-in-laws boyfriend tucked one neatly into a Ford 100E Prefect. Both were real 'Street Sleepers' which took many a Jag and sports car by surprise.

Prior to my Rangie though, the last involvement I had with a 'Rover' mill was an experiment in Cyprus to graft one into a DS21 Citroen. It was grafted onto the DS drive unit OK, and fitted into the car well, but when I got posted away, the team were still scratching their heads over the one forward, four reverse gears syndrome. Simply turning the diff upside down just wasn't feasable on the front wheeel drive set up. I'm pretty sure they never did overcome this.

Johnny.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM

Folks that converted their old VW's to Corvair-power in the 60's had the same problem, but they figured out that they could flip the idler-shaft in the transaxle to correct it. Worked great in those old underpowered Microbusses...