PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.13 MB
Space 1999 model (potential ideas)

Hmmmmm...

For those of you that are interested in the highest end model of this Space 1999 Eagle, if there was work between the designers of the massive, tubed model... parts that were of the simplified model and serious work on the textured (down to the pixel) to make the most accurate model available anywhere, would you be willing to fork out a small monitary sum to have the best designers and textures in your completed model...? I ask because, it'll take a lot of work and some decisions between the designers to make this happen.

My intensions are to make this model as easy to build and still having all the details and textures as the original model used in the Space 1999 series.

You're opinions matter so, either way... please state what you think and why you think the way you'd want to go with this. There are a few versions of the Eagle on the net... I wish for perfection on something that we can all do to make this one of those... 'must have' models.

Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The eagletransporter site has the original release of the tubed model together with the 3D model used to make the unfolds.
You should check that site to see if anyone is revamping it.

My suggestion is to start completely from scratch without any regard to the available models, designing the model with high detail in mind, texturing and then renderbaking it with dirt, weathering and shadows.
The only real difficulty is deciding on the construction size, too big and the weight of the paper/card gets too much for the backbone, too small and you loose detail.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
If you are asking "would I be willing to pay for a better model of the Eagle transporter?"
then you first need to ask if you have the legal permissions to produce
a retail(commercial) model of the eagle.

There are already some nice models of the Transporter available for free.

While "free" doesn't give you any copyright exclusions, it does put you into
the "fan art" bracket, which is more tolerated by copyright holders.

I would be careful asking for money for something you don't actually have
the rights to sell...no need to piss off the wrong people before you even got
the model done.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
I hate it when I agree with Dave.

First thing that came to mind was Copyright violations and not infringing on the owners turf.

You could indeed have a very brief career as a cardmodel designer if you make any money with your venture.

Swampfox
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
You hate it when you agree with me?
Whats that all about?
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I believe that was humor
Old 12-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
You hate it when you agree with me?
Whats that all about?
We've never agreed on anything, makes me question my sanity when it happens;-)

Just take a deep breath and relax and close your eyes and I just fade into no where....or maybe you'll fade into no where. Either way, one of us will be gone........

SFX
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
Aren't small series of such model kits tolerated even if they cost a little money? I'd swear the whole garage-kit industry would break together if you asked everyone about copyright... Not wanting to make someone doing illegal things, but I have the impression that the whole thing is a bit out of control these days...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 398.13 MB
Points well taken...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Hey, Danoman. do you want to try designing an entirely new Eagle, or just try to greatly improve mine?

Although mine was the first one out there, there are now 6 versions altogether that I'm aware of, if you include Janx's, and one I've seen that was never completed, as far as I know (the Domatine and Frohickey versions being the other two). I'm not sure that the model could be sold in the first place though, no matter whose it was or how good/easy to build it is. I don't know how protective ITC (or whoever owns the Eagle now) is of their IP. Much as I'd love to be able to sell it, I never planned on that when I first designed mine, I just wanted a halfway decent Eagle model that wasn't a nightmare to build. With all those tubes, I've heard Marc and Keith's can be, but I haven't tried it yet. The closest I came to building one was to scale their command module down a bit, and replace mine with it on my test build, since it's shape is better. I did see theirs scaled up to 6 feet on the Eagletransporter forum, and it looked amazing.

Right now, I'd just be happy to see someone actually build one of mine, the original white, or your colored version. So far, the only one I ever saw built besides your original recolor, was on one of the pirate sites.

Still, regardless of everything else, I'm always interested in new and especially improved Eagle versions. Maybe a kitbash of all the best and easiest-to-build elements and/or options of the 4 released versions, with improved graphics (and permission from all designers involved)?

Scott K.
Google Adsense