PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I am Roma (Romany to the majority), or in more general terms ... a gypsy, although none of the last five generations of my family have lived in a caravan.

My race were also decimated by the Nazis, but the numbers are unrecorded. They were not rounded up and recorded before execution, they were just shot on sight, and left to rot.

In 1939 my father had three sisters and five brothers. He was in a reserved occupation (Telecoms), so he did not get mobilised, but all his brothers and sisters served in the British Army. None of them came home.

To this day I cannot bring myself to own or drive German, Japanese or Italian vehicles, but I bear no malice. Life, as it is, goes on, and we must progress.

I'm afraid Mauther's model sparked no emotion in me. It's just an old building, which now serves as a monument of sorts. It serves a purpose, as does whatever it is that will replace the 9/11 site, and the Colliseum. All history, good or bad, should be remembered and LEARNED FROM, but moving forward is much more important.

As a child, I had the usual interest in Warbirds and AFVs, but having spent most of my adult life as a ground based soldier, I learned that such things were not good for my health and were to be avoided at all costs, so I have no interest in modelling them now, but I've no objection to the rest of you doing it, and they don't offend me.

Bottom line being ... If you don't like Mauther's model ... don't make it. Just ignore it, as I do all the tanks and warbirds that you guys seem to love. As an ex-grunt, I do like modelling hand weapons. They were the tools of my trade for a long time, but I can understand the current backlash against such things. Though I stiill make the stand that guns are not the killers ... The killers are the men that carry them. Bin there ... done that ... If there's a God I await retribution.

Open the cage luv, I'm comin' back in'.

Johnny.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.33 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Bottom line being ... If you don't like Mauther's model ... don't make it. Just ignore it,
Johnny.

Well said....
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
Amen! Very nicely said.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
What I can say is that this thread is an image of the respect we have for each other here in this forum, because we come from very different places and cultures.

My humble opinion is... don't forgert what happened in that place and others like it (even in modern times), and from our homes and families be better human beings.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Johnny - thank you! You echo my thoughts here.

Last edited by Kevin WS; 03-01-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
@Mauther

May I suggest changes to the Auschwitz Gate model.
Keep it it black and white.
In the foreground add the words "Never Again" in German, Hebrew, Yiddish and English, in muted red color, in perspective on both sides of the tracks.
I think you could get help with translation from people on this site.
Then you model becomes an unmistakable condemnation of what happened there, a memorial and a warning.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM

For all the many memorials, websites, and political pontifications centred around "The Holocaust, it may have escaped the general view, but Ethnic cleansing is STILL BEING CARRIED OUT in several places around the world, and even slavery has not yet been abolished. Why is it not featured more in the News, and why the hell ain't we doing anything about it?

Johnny.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
A comment on the thread and why this is about the only forum I come to anymore. Even though there is obviously some strong feelings, it has been kept on a level of respect without getting into invective and emotional namecalling.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
A comment on the thread and why this is about the only forum I come to anymore. Even though there is obviously some strong feelings, it has been kept on a level of respect without getting into invective and emotional namecalling.

Johnny.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 147.85 MB
These days, we have in the thread: models build - aviation, a beautiful model of B.29, exactly what launched shampoo and soap on Hiroshima.

The most downloaded model is the beautiful Lancaster of Gary Plisworth, the protagonist in Dresden e Hamburg of the launch of violets and daisies.

What about the Heinkel He 111 for the springtime touristic tour over london, ...... five stars of rating!!

No one is scandalized for a reproduction 1/10 of a napalm bomb which dispels the colesterolo.

JohnM, your avatar wields a fishing rod? and wearing camouflage in order to avoid being seen by mosquitoes?

mauther, fault of your, for all the tears of hypocrisy of this thread...

matt77
Google Adsense

Tags
diorama, download, paper model, papercraft, ww2