PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
solar powered gizmo

While cruising eBay I ran across a cute little solar-powered race car here Mini Solar Power Energy Car Racer Moving Toy Children | eBay and thought 'Gee, that's cute, I bet my grandson would like it' and ordered one. Then a lightbulb went on...solar powered electric motor, small enough to fit into even a 72nd scale fuselage, with enough power to move a little plastic vehicle around, so should have no problem with a paper propeller, and for less than two bucks post-paid? So I ordered a dozen.....
Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those look very interesting. Inexpensive and free shipping to the USA from Hong Kong too. Your idea about motivating propellers is interesting too.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Curious......... wonder what voltage is required to spin the motor.

4 motors wired in a series spinning the props on a Consolidated B-24 Liberator, yeah I can see it.

Although......... individual motors wired to a control box with a rheostat for each one would allow individual start ups and with sound effect could make a dramatic diorama.

My Drawings
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Just a guess, John, but probably on the order of 1.5 volts. Funny, but the same thought crossed my mind, but wiring them in parallel would be better.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A cunning plan Darwin!

They look like they are meant to have a body clipped on, but who cares as you are getting them cheaper without and do not need them anyway.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Hmmmm..... might work in a Fiddlers Green airplane, people have got them to fly, or one of Trotskiy's or Ojimak's planes which are meant to be flyers.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have a couple of those motors here and they will give you a spinning action. Enough to turn the paddles on a sidewheeler or spin the prop of a small airplane. I used one in a static model of a very small plane and it worked but not well enough to show off. I picked up another that spins an offset wheel and it will vibrate like the devil. Kinda like the vibrator on a phone. My last one is hooked to a prop you clip on to a hat to create a breeze on hot days. Doesn't work very well