PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
GPM Poland also has it.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I would strongly suggest ordering it from someplace OTHER than directly from Modelik. I ordered the Jupiter and a couple other kits and it has been EIGHT weeks on Friday since they were supposedly shipped and I still don't have the kits. The response to my emails is just "be patient". I consider myself a very patient person, but eight weeks?! I could drive to the east coast and kayak across the ocean in less time than that.

I've always had good luck and fast service ordering from GPM.

Cheers, Corbin
Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM

just out of idle curiosity, can anyone explain the reason for the huge conical funnel? Could they not have just used a straight cylinder? Functional, or decorative?

Lovely detail on the model, looks like it would be a lot of fun to build!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
The early locomotives were wood burners and created very dangerous sparks and embers flying out of the stack. There were dozens of different designs to filter, beak up or recirculate the embers. The design on the Jupiter was one of the most popular, employing either screens or an interior inverted cone (or both) in an effort to capture the sparks and let them burn out before escaping the stack. Even with these ember traps, in dry times a second firefighting train often followed the main train. As the spark issue lessened when locomotives moved to coal the straight stacks came into vogue and when oil became the fuel the stacks shortened considerably. There were straight stacked woodburners, though.
Chris
Old 06-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldane View Post
I would strongly suggest ordering it from someplace OTHER than directly from Modelik. I ordered the Jupiter and a couple other kits and it has been EIGHT weeks on Friday since they were supposedly shipped and I still don't have the kits. The response to my emails is just "be patient". I consider myself a very patient person, but eight weeks?! I could drive to the east coast and kayak across the ocean in less time than that.
I've always had good luck and fast service ordering from GPM.
Cheers, Corbin
I just got back from the VA clinic, and in the mail was my notice that my order from Modelik just came in.. Was shipped April 24.. I already had the mind set that it was going to take awhile, as they told me in the beginning that it was going by "sea".. Will go to the post office tomorrow and pick it up, and give more of an update on what I got and the condition of the package.. I've ordered from GPM before, and it was quicker .. but from what I can remember, I think the shipping was quite a bit more..
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the explanation Chris, very concise! It hadn't occurred to be that they were wood burners as opposed to coal, early steam engines would not be my forté at all.

Oddly, trains never held as much attraction for me as a child as say, aircraft, but since I studied mechanical engineering in college, I can look at a steam engine in a whole different light

But regardless of how much you know about the mechanics, I always marvel at how something so raw and functional as this, can end up looking so darn cool!

Oh, and by the way, Eatcrow2 - I hope your deliveries arrives nice and flat!

Last edited by think-floyd; 06-24-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot something!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
package in hand..

Picked it up this morning at the P.O... Arrived in perfect condition.. As I can't do any modeling at the moment because of some surgery that was done near my eye leaving me with no sight in the left for a few days.. and not dealing with the right real well as far as focusing, I can at least fondle these .. Will do reviews later in the week, on the two that haven't been done yet..
Would I order from Modelik again?? Yes.. as long as it wasn't something I'm wanting right away..
Here's how the packaging looked..

Wrapped on the outside with this sheet which I thought was cool. Inside with layers of cardboard.

The kits..
"Jupiter".. I'm going to have to get the laser set for this.

"Saint Chamond" w/laser tracks & frames

"Curtiss N-9H" w/laser frames
Old 07-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 539.65 MB
Jupiter

Hi Guys,

Just a thought but do think that there might be a very slim chance the designer might share his black and white patterns?

Sincerely

Tom
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Tom, I would venture a guess, no, since this is his bread and butter, so to speak.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Looks like you got a page full of Dingo parts with your order. I ordered some stuff from Modelik once and got a page full of B2nt Freudenstein parts.... Guess what I ended up buying and building after that?:D

greg
Google Adsense