Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 05-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Some Internal Organs

paper torso - a set on Flickr
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
congratulations John, you get the award for the craziest find of the month! Of all the subjects to model in paper, that one takes it.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
That is wild! Ya gotta love those Japanese. Tsunami wipes out the coastline and they still have time to create stuff like this!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Oops! Not sure if it's Japanese since it's for the Fiji's. Did you look at the heart? It's an amazing piece of art!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thanks for comments on this find. It reminds me of the over the top French anatomic prints and 19th c. wax anatomic models that you can still see in the back corners of some museums. (There are some anatomy prints on Patricia Eureka's site that have layers and fold outs) I wonder of the artist, Horst Kieschle, got some inspiration from a "visible man" model.
The schools in Fiji must have a very limited budget if they have to resort to donated paper models, instead of being able to purchase some of the very detailed, teaching models that are now being substituted for classes in dissection, or using teaching models based on 3d body scans.
I looked at his downloads, they look like they would be a tough build to do make something as neatly done as his final sculpture.
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
I read his Horst Kieschle's comemnts too and in those he told he will be delivering the torso too sometime when he finishes the layout for A4 sheets and gets some instructions done to follow. Lets keep our eye on him. ;-)

Tappi
Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 PM

I remember dissecting a live frog and dead cats as a high school sophomore/junior. I built models then, too, and I could not help but wonder what I was learning from killing a living thing that I could not learn from a model.

Professionals who will need the detailed knowledge, yes, I understand the need to use the real article. But, a high school student?

I intended to start building this and donate it to our local high school How cool would it be to make the parts out of colored paper?

Thanks, John, for this great link!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Maj. Did you say LIVE frog?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Yes, it was live. It didn't turn my stomach; I've got a steely core. It just saddened me to "pith" the frog for what amounted to no reason at all. And I knew hundreds of thousands across the country suffered the same fate.

Pithing was a process whereby one inserted a needle into the base of the frog's brain which terminated the "conscious" processes, but left alive the autonomic functions such as breathing. Yeah, that poor thing was breathing as we explored its inner organs. I didn't learn one damned useful thing.

The cats were dead already. But, still, I could not see the point of cutting into a once live creature as a high school student.

In both cases, models would have done as well. And, we're still doing this in high school bio classes. I believe the use of live animals has ceased, but I taught high school and our bio class used pig fetuses for dissection.

I'll get off my soapbox, now.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM

When I was in school the only thing we dissected was a dead frog, I've got the same steely core, and don't get sickened or grossed out by such things...Just never heard of a live dissection.
Google Adsense