PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 12-17-2014, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.26 MB
For the geoscientists among us...

This page has been around for some time, but I don't think anyone here has linked to it.

The research staff at the Fault Analysis Group at the School of Geological Sciences of University College Dublin have posted a number of simple models demonstrating key structural geology concepts as teaching tools for undergraduate students:

Paper models
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Very interesting for anyone (like myself) who looks attentively at all those fascinating lines and structures in rocky landscapes. Geology is an almost completely closed book to me - sometimes a tourist brochure gives some idea of what hap-pen-ed-so-very-very-slowly all those millions of years ago. Fascinating!
Isn't there an (amateur) geologist among us who could combine some of these models with real life pictures?
Old 12-17-2014, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
These are very cool.

I have a BSc in Earth Sciences (and I'm currently a geography teacher-in-training). I'll look for some photos from my travels.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Yes Nikki, as a former teacher myself (English Language and Lietrature) that was exactly what I had in mind. Even though geology was of course way off my pitch, I always found an occasion to explain to my students that the very slight sandy ridge just behind the sports field of our school In Zeist near Utrecht, the Netherlands was in fact the extreme edge, the end of the end moraine, of the last Ice Age. This notion alweays woke their interest.
I am sure some local geography lessons could be brightened with a combination of some of these models and local pictures.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Yes Nikki, as a former teacher myself (English Language and Lietrature) that was exactly what I had in mind. Even though geology was of course way off my pitch, I always found an occasion to explain to my students that the very slight sandy ridge just behind the sports field of our school In Zeist near Utrecht, the Netherlands was in fact the extreme edge, the end of the end moraine, of the last Ice Age. This notion alweays woke their interest.
I am sure some local geography lessons could be brightened with a combination of some of these models and local pictures.
Exactly my line of thinking.
Google Adsense
Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
... the Netherlands was in fact the extreme edge, the end of the end moraine, of the last Ice Age. This notion alweays woke their interest. ....
I wonder if there is a moraine in Moraine, Ohio. North of Moraine the landscape looks like it was mashed flat, while southwards there are some hills.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
There is a beautiful example of a moraine just south of my hometown in Iowa. In the 18 mile wide low spot, there are dozens of gravel pits and many large chunks of granite sitting in fields. It's always fun to take some pictures when I'm home, and then show them to my students here in Omaha. Many have not seen anything other than the city. Actually seeing pictures of things we are studying is pretty shocking. Some of these models can definitely help teach some plate tectonics.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Those are really neat items, and great for education. Some of the geophysical programs we use these days are based on seismic surveys in the oil field. 3D "virtual" goggles are worn and a person can actually take the well "elevator" down into the "pay" formations and walk around. It is full on "tron" kind of stuff.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Also, if you are interested in that sort of thing, there is the "Geoblox" series of models:

Geoblox Home

Though designed for young people, they are instructive for adults and fun to build.