PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
browsing japanese websites for paper models (and a xls sheet with links)

As you might know a lot of free paper models can be downloaded from japanese websites. The problem is how to find those files and websites.
The expression is that "many roads will lead to Rome" and this post is to show you my way..
as an example, here's how I found a lot of free fire department models (and more)

- Google in Japanes: I've translated various search term into Japanese and googled them in Japanese. It will bring you to dozens of websites with papercraft from various fire departments.

firetruck papercraft ( 消防車のペーパークラフト ) will give this result
fire department papercraft ( 消防署ペーパークラフト ) will give this result

You will find a lot of paper models have been designed by a professional named Hiro Kato (at least I think his name is Hiro Kato). There's copyright on his models, so doing a repaint cannot be done I think. (but he's made so many unique models so you don't need to make your own repaints). His website is here

If you get lost on a website and translating does not work, you could find your way just moving your mouse over all buttons. Most websites have their structure written in English, so you could find your way by looking at the url of a link when you have your mouse above a certain button. This does not always work, and you also have to keep your eyes open for errors in spelling (example: papercraft could also be written as peparklaft, pc, creft etc etc).

About a year ago I posted a xls sheet with links to free fire department paper models. Due to HD error I had to re-download most of the models again and by doing so I found out I needed to update my sheet on many occasions.

So here's the sheet, it's a work in progress, and written in a mix of english and dutch for my personal use, so it makes sence to me, hope it makes sence to you.

The scale to most models is unknown, but in real life a firetruck in Japan is not wider than 2,49 meter (like laddertrucks), a normal firetruck is between 2,3 and 2,45 meters wide. In some occasions the fire departments provides this kind of info about their trucks, or search for vehicle specifications on wiki

I also added some ship models of the Japanese Coastguard (JCG), I skipped the JCG aircraft because I'm not interested in those models at the moment.

I'm still confused about the term "Mitsubishi Fuso", I haven't figured out if that's the name of the manufacturer itself, or the name of a certain line of Mitsubishi trucks

Anyway, I think these are links to about 600+ individual models. Have fun!!!!!

PS: This is a work in progress and I haven't finished checking all links. If a link does not work, and a search on the website does not help, you might try the wayback machine on archive.org
Attached Files
File Type: zip japan_fire_department.zip (61.2 KB, 137 views)
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Thanks for the advice. It is very easy to get lost in the depths of a website and be faced with a whole host of links to pages taking you away from the model you have seen a completed image of.

Its useful to also learn some generic website terms too such as First Page, Next Page, Download etc.

Perhaps we ought to put a sticky thread together for useful Japanese terms to look for.

I must admit though that I never thought to try Google Translate on pages.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 03-03-2015, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
the japanese maritime self defence force<or in other words their navy>have a great free site also with loads of modern warships
Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Looked for the site but cannot find it, do you have a link for the site?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1158 View Post
Looked for the site but cannot find it, do you have a link for the site?
download the zip file attached in my first post. it contains a xls sheet with file descriptions and the url to the main downloadpages and the url for the files themselves (mostly pdf files)
the database has more than 750 entries to models, although some models require two entries (most ladder trucks are made out of two seperate sheets). it is safe to say that after downloading and building all the models you will have added 600+ models to your collection.
posting them all in one thread requires a lot of posts with links only

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
the japanese maritime self defence force<or in other words their navy>have a great free site also with loads of modern warships
the jmsdf files are next on my to do list

for those of you who've downloaded the sheet, just noticed I saved the file with a filter applied to "organisatie" and "subcategorie". choosing the option "show all" to both will show the full database. apologies for this

Last edited by Foute Man; 03-03-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Thank you for the updated list and the kanji search terms.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
After just a few minutes of exploring links, I found a lot of dead links, but at the sites that are still alive there are more fire truck models that I could build in a life time.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
After just a few minutes of exploring links, I found a lot of dead links, but at the sites that are still alive there are more fire truck models that I could build in a life time.
started checking the links a few weeks ago. due to hd error i also had to download the files again, so the entries with the filesize filled in should have a working link, because i've visited the site and downloaded the files during the past 4 weeks.

i found out that in some occasions the website has been renewed and the models have another locations/url. unfortunately some websites have removed their models, but via the wayback machine on www.archive.org you could manage to download some of the missing files.

no need to tell you it's easier browsing by translating the japanese search results into the language of your preference???????
Old 09-10-2015, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 729.88 MB
sorry to bump an old post but thanks for the tip! (飛行機ペーパークラフト) looks like it will lead to more models
Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foute Man View Post
download the zip file attached in my first post. it contains a xls sheet with file descriptions and the url to the main downloadpages and the url for the files themselves (mostly pdf files)
the database has more than 750 entries to models, although some models require two entries (most ladder trucks are made out of two seperate sheets). it is safe to say that after downloading and building all the models you will have added 600+ models to your collection.
posting them all in one thread requires a lot of posts with links only

the jmsdf files are next on my to do list

for those of you who've downloaded the sheet, just noticed I saved the file with a filter applied to "organisatie" and "subcategorie". choosing the option "show all" to both will show the full database. apologies for this
i have a couple of entry pages for their sites
Google Adsense

Tags
fire-trucks, japan, spreadsheet