PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
A very nice La-5 model, 1:33 scale free download

Confession time: From time to time I have a look at Russian sites where scans of printed models are illegitimately offered for downloading. However, on rare occasions there also appear fully legitimate models, shared by designers or repainters (with the designer's approval). This is such an example.

This is the cover of the model – a Russian La-5F fighter, the mainstay of the Russian fighter aircraft during WWII. There are several reasons in my view for highlighting this repaint & redesign:

• The level of complexity is attractive - you can build a delicious model without having to get stranded on internal complexities like a fully detailed engine which isn't visible anyway. The cockpit is fully detailed.
• The paintwork is exquisite with shadings, wear and tear marks included to a moderate degree.
• The kit is a complete remake of a 30-year old original, very attractively laid out in its new form.
• The download comes as a high-quality pdf-file. Although it is not a vector original, the lines and paintwork are so carefully executed that you could easily enlarge it to double the original size without any adverse effects.
• The design explicity has eliminated the need for doubling formers, ribs, spars, etc. with hard-to-cut cardboard. Everything is built up from ordinary thickness paper.
• The instructions are possible to copy and paste into any web-based translation programme.

Finally, I cannot but applaud the effort to redesign an existing model, repainting it, and getting the blessing of the original author. All in order, and a good example of how I believe paper-modeling should move forward, building on each other's efforts.

Here are a few samples of what drew my attention to this model:

This is one of two instructions page. I don't believe it is a scan of the original instructions at all, but a very carefully made redrawing for this version.

A sample parts page (there are six of them). The full quality of the repainting cannot be judged from this reproduction, but you can get an idea of the spacious and logical layout (no desperate crowding of parts here, since we are dealing with a download design, not a printed version, which means you don't have to strive for as few pages as possible).

The original design is by Timofej Nikolaevich Kiyanski. I believe he is now designing for the Russian YG-models brand of high-quality paper-models. This Ukraine-based company has produced a modern and very detailed model of the La-5, and a similar model of the later La-5FN. There is also an extremely detailed model of the La-5 from the Oriel company (also Ukraine-based).

The redesigned & repainted version of this older model is introduced in the forum of the site I looked at. On page two, post 18, in that thread, you can read the designer's blessing. He says there that the original design is 30 years old, and that he is very happy with this effort to modernize it.

The redesign & repaint of this version - if I've read the translated Russian texts correctly - is by V.N. Shatov. The kit is marked as No. 1 (2015) under a trademark I read as "3K3". I have found no further reference to this trademark, but I do look forward to similar redrawings of this quality.

On the same site there is also a build thread of the model. If you peruse these threads you will also find a link to the biography of the pilot of the specific aircraft modeled, Leonid A. Gal'chenko. Very interesting reading!
A note after publishing this thread: After a discussion with the admins of Papermodelers.com it transgresses that no linking to the site I visited can be accepted, since the site as a whole encourages illegitimate downloading. I accept this, even if it leaves this review kind of stumped.
Anyway, here's the instructions/introduction translated (with just a few efforts to clean up the computer translation):

Quote:

General instructions during assembly

To build the model, you will need: scissors, stationery knife, a few staples, metal ruler, as well as glue. It is recommended to use a PVA glue, torque, etc.

Print pattern must be on paper density 130-160 gr/m, keeping out all the same print settings. After printing, it is recommended to check out all the sheets. This model does not need laminating. But you can use it in places if you need to strengthen some of the details.

Assembling the model is divided into elements, each element has its own designation on the circuit assembly. Carefully follow the instructions carefully and customize parts. The edges of the pieces is recommended to tint the appropriate color.

Aircraft performance

Type:
La-5F
Wingspan: 9,8 m
Length: 8,67 m
Height. 2.54 m
Wing area: 17.5 sqm
Normal take-off weight: 3200 kg
Engine Type: 1 PD Shvetsov ASH-82F
Power: 1 x 1850
Maximum speed: 600 km/h
Maximum Practical range:
760 km
Rate of climb: 910 m/min
Service ceiling: 9550 m
Crew: 1 person
Armament: two 20-mm cannon ShVAK, 2 100-kg bombs FAB-100

Aircraft La-5F of Gal'chenko LA

This model represents the plane of the hero of the Soviet Union Leonid Gal'chenko Anya.

Born Gal'chenko LA April 2, 1912 in the city of Petrovsk-Port (now Makhachkala) in a large working class family. Ukrainian. Member of the CPSU (b) since 1941. After finishing 7 classes in 1933 he entered the road construction college. In the same year, after learning about the set in the Krasnodar school of agricultural aviation, I went there. Shortly before its completion in 1933 he was enrolled in the Red Army and sent to Stalingrad Military Aviation Pilot School. At its completion in 1935 he was assigned to the Fighter Regiment based at Leningrad.

In the war with Finland (1939-1940) he served as a first lieutenant in the office Gal'chenko flag-navigator 5th Mixed Aviation Regiment. He performed 50 sorties, was awarded the Order of the Red Banner.

In 1941, before the war Captain Gal'chenko finished refresher courses commanders in Lipetsk. Arrived at its 145 th Fighter Aviation Regiment 1st Composite Air Division Air Force 14th Army only on June 25 and immediately joined the military operation in the post of commander of Fighter Squadron.

Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on June 6, 1942 for exemplary performance of command assignments and for displaying courage and heroism in the battles against the Nazi invaders captain Gal'chenko awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union and the Order of Lenin and medal "Gold Star» (No 872). The Decree was awarded the highest rank, and his friend and follower Viktor Mironov.

His plane LaGG-3 Gal'chenko called "black cat" and its logo was a cat chasing mice. Later this emblem appeared on the aircraft La-5F. His last enemy aircraft shot down Colonel Gal'chenko October 22, 1944. In December 1944 he was appointed deputy commander of the 324th Fighter Air Division in the Moscow Military District and the rest of the war in the battles did not participate. Total of 1 November 1944, his account was 310 combat sorties, 40 air battles, shot down 13 aircraft in person and 10 in the group (in the literature, and provides higher data - 410 combat sorties, 90 fights, shot down 24 aircraft in person and 12 - in Group).

After the war he served in aviation, in command positions in the Air Force of the Transcaucasian Military District. In 1950 he transferred to the Arctic Circle, near Murmansk, the commander of the 16th Guards Fighter Division of the Air Force of the Northern District. In 1952 she enrolled students of the Higher Military Academy named after Voroshilov (now - the Military Academy of the General Staff).

In 1954, Colonel Gal'chenko because of severe illness transferred to the reserve. He returned to his home in the city of Makhachkala, was actively involved in military and patriotic work. He died September 26, 1986.

Author and developer:
Design: Kiyanskiy TN
Layout: Shatov VN
Leif
Attached Thumbnails
A very nice La-5 model, 1:33 scale free download-cover.jpg   A very nice La-5 model, 1:33 scale free download-instr.-sample.jpg   A very nice La-5 model, 1:33 scale free download-parts-sample.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-16-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Correcting & adding a few facts
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Yes, it is frustrating to find a legitimate model amongst all the pirated flotsam and jetsam on some of those sites. Might you be able to contact the designer via the publishing thread to seek their permission to upload the model here..? Or even to possibly relied the model to a more ethical download site like the Yandex that Maksart uses..?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:57 PM

So I've sent a message with that request, by way of the feedback mechanism at the site I visited. We'll just have to wait and see now, won't we...

Leif
Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Just had a look at the model and I see what you mean: it is a good design and very well detailed...hopefully it will be able to be shared via a more ethically-leaning site...
Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Can't help but snigger a bit...,

Hi Leif,

Nice discovery work. I find the contrary origin of the model something of a conundrum for Paper Modelers - worthy of a slight snigger or two.

Having the author and repainter agree to mount the model in PM's download section would be the quintessential accomplishment in a twisted and contorted sort of way.

Bringing a great designer and repainter to PM so that all can enjoy their art is the other half of the "twisted contortment" - going legit is always so marvelous...,

Bien Cordialement,

-Gil
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 168.46 MB
Maybe the Admins would let you bypass the Russian site and link directly to the depositfile download.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:35 AM

While waiting for some sign of life from the Russians, I just noticed that I misused the word "transgress" in the first post. I think the word I was looking for was "emerge". While I transgressed unwritten site rules in the original post - and may have done so also in my initial reaction to the deleting of the links - nothing but amiable conversation took place after that. What emerged from the conversation was the site rule not to link to sites which promote piracy, whether what's linked to in the specific instance is kosher or not.

Just to clarify. - L.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 05-17-2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Really trying to get it right...
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 AM

Or transpired. That's the word I was looking for. Takes a while for the dime to drop. Too long to be able to edit it in... - L.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
actually I look at the pirate sites to get a better view before I purchase.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.48 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleslie48 View Post
actually I look at the pirate sites to get a better view before I purchase.
I do this too. I wish the stores that sell legitimate models would provide better sample images of instructions and parts so that we have some idea what we're buying. I've wound up downloading some stuff from these sites to look them over before buying from the vendor or bidding on them on ebay. I would never actually use a pirated model, but I want to look at what I'm getting before I pay for it.
Google Adsense