PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 09-02-2021, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Back from the past:

ƒIƒŠƒ“ƒpƒX@ƒJƒƒ‰•Ž†ƒ‰ƒCƒuƒ‰ƒŠ[@`OM‚‚EƒVƒXƒeƒ€‚‚Ł`

ƒIƒŠƒ“ƒpƒX@ƒJƒƒ‰•Ž†ƒ‰ƒCƒuƒ‰ƒŠ[@`OM‚‚EƒVƒXƒeƒ€‚‚Ł`

(the original link: 企*ƒ…*š‚ƒƒƒ‘‚)

I stumbled across a past posting of a link to paper models of Olympus cameras. and lenses.
The original posted link no longer works, but thanks to the miracle of the WayBack Machine the paper models are still accessible. Make sure you get Both the paper model and the instructions for each model. Explore the archived Olympus web site as a variety of models and screen savers are presented on it, and not all of them are available at the same time on each Wayback machine snap shot.
Not so long ago these cameras were cutting edge technology, now they are quaint antiques. In Japan, there is a cottage industry dedicated to repairing and selling old cameras, and a group of photographers who still enjoy using this ancient technology for capturing images.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 09-02-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 227.59 MB
Exclamation Tatebanko Database Backdoor

Art Research Center, Ritsumeikan University

I really like the Kabuki style of the Japanese Tatebanko. I attempted to find some through the university website but the user interface is difficult to navigate and a general search, in both English and Japanese provided no results. Thanks to John Wagenseil, who originally posted several links to the Last Stand of the Soga Brothers Tatebanko. I discovered a backdoor into the database of vintage Tatebanko; see link below. In your URL bar, pay close attention to the last three numbers in the web address. If you replace the number at the end with the next number in the sequence, you will be able to access 57 pages of vintage Japanese Tatebanko; 596 through 653.

https://www.arc.ritsumei.ac.jp/archi.../arcUP5596.jpg

There is a lot more stuff to go through, I just havent had the time to hunt-and-peck my way through the database. If youre interested in vintage Japanese Tatebanko, this is a nice little find. If this is old news to you, then I suppose it may be new to someone... like me!

"Art is whatever you can get away with." Andy Warhol
Old 09-03-2021, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
"Papermau" recently reposted the Sanda Sakamoto website with its collection of Japanese buildings.
The Sakamoto website has been reorganized since my last visit, and the new format makes it much easier to see what buildings are currently available for download, as well as displaying on a single page all the buildings he has designed and either previously released or intends to release in the future.
In the past Sakamoto-san has rotated the buildings available for download, so it is worth revisiting the site from time to time, in order to see if there are new offerings.
(...)

...and the most annoying feature of the Sandā Sakamoto webpage is the "rotation" of the models, i.e. addition of the new models is coupled with the removal of the old ones, which means that the previous models were no longer available. Or maybe they still can be purchased somewhere? I don't know (I didn't found any link). As a result, only few of the older models are still available on other owners' webpages.

I don't know if this is the proper thread to put this kind of supplication, but maybe someone here have collected the older S.S. sheets (up to No. N58 approximately) on his disc? Is it against the rules to ask you kindly for the reposting or sending this stuff within a private message/e-mail? (in case of they aren't deliberately hidden by the author in order to keep selling them for a fee - in the latter case please help me find the [missing ] link).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by Viator; 09-03-2021 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
...and the most annoying feature of the Sandā Sakamoto webpage is the "rotation" of the models, i.e. addition of the new models is coupled with the removal of the old ones, which means that the previous models were no longer available.
!
Sakamoto San is not the only Japanese paper artist to set up his downloadable works in rotation.
I wonder if this is a hold over from the time when bandwidth and and storage were rare and very expensive, particularly in Japan, and they did not have the storage to post all of their works at the same time. This might even be true today, a pen pal had on going complaints about the bandwidth and storage limitations imposed on her by their phone service provider. It might also be a reaction to paper model hijackers, though by limiting the availability of the models at the source, people looking for the paper artists work will be more likely to seek out less honest venues to obtain them.
Things are as they are.
I came to Sakamoto san's site late so their are many of his early models that I was unable to collect. That is a tad annoying, but the reality is that I have collected more paper models than I will ever be able to study, let alone build in what lifetime is left to me.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
As for me, I collected more models than I'll be able to build too, but if I want to make a less or more consistent diorama I must have some choice so the bigger the excess, the better.

And I suppose you are right, still there are forums or clouds limiting the space for private albums or images, and not only in Japan.

Let's wait, maybe someone else could help.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD View Post
Art Research Center, Ritsumeikan University
I really like the Kabuki style of the Japanese Tatebanko. I attempted to find some through the university website but the user interface is difficult to navigate and a general search, in both English and Japanese provided no results. Thanks to John Wagenseil, who originally posted several links to the “Last Stand of the Soga Brothers” Tatebanko. I discovered a backdoor into the database of vintage Tatebanko; see link below. In your URL bar, pay close attention to the last three numbers in the web address. If you replace the number at the end with the next number in the sequence, you will be able to access 57 pages of vintage Japanese Tatebanko; …596 through …653.
https://www.arc.ritsumei.ac.jp/archi.../arcUP5596.jpg
There is a lot more stuff to go through, I just haven’t had the time to hunt-and-peck my way through the database. If you’re interested in vintage Japanese Tatebanko, this is a nice little find. If this is old news to you, then I suppose it may be new to someone... like me!
Thank you for posting.
I discovered that method awhile back but never posted it since I thought I was the only person obsessive enough about tatebanko to go through the ARC images one by one, in hopes of finding tatebanko among the general collection of kabuki themed prints.
If you stumble around the ARC site, you will come across pages with many thumbnails of kabuki prints, and clicking on the tatebanko images and then clicking through the buttons will sometimes get you to a colelction of tatebankos. Navigating the ARC site for me was a matter of luck and persistence.
I think that even a lot of Japanese might have trouble with it, since the site uses a lot of kanji, and younger Japanese are not as comfortable with kanji as are their elders
I have found that if a Japanese web site is kanji heavy and the Google translation is cryptic, translating the page with the Traditional Chinese option sometimes leads to better results. I will also grab a bunch of likely looking text from the Japanese page and put it into the Google search window, and see if the search results contain any tatebanko or paper model related pages.
Recently I have found that finding tatebanko has become easier, using both Google and Bing search, though the frustration of finding that many of the ones posted are too small to download and build remains.

The ARC collection consists of Kabuki themed prints from the late 19th and early 20th century and the quality and aesthetics of the tatebanko vary greatly, from works of art to crude and garish. I think the tatebanko may have been handed out by Kabuki theatres, the way movie theatres during the Depression handed out glassware, as an incentive to get people to buy more tickets. I prefer the earlier tatebanko which used less bright inks and were often more carefully composed, and illustrated incidents from Japanese legends or history rather than from Kabuki plays.. The early and mid 19th c. tatebanko and paper toys are rarer and much harder to find. For example it took me years to find an adequate on-line copy of the Kabuki theater tatebanko.

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 09-03-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
As for me, I collected more models than I'll be able to build too, but if I want to make a less or more consistent diorama I must have some choice so the bigger the excess, the better.

And I suppose you are right, still there are forums or clouds limiting the space for private albums or images, and not only in Japan.

Let's wait, maybe someone else could help.
Hey Andrew,

You've mentioned the Brother Precision website, but there's a lot more if you dig deeper, about 10 pages worth including weathered/unweathered generic buildings and even trams useful anywhere:

精密ペーパークラフト素材 | 趣味 | 年賀状・無料ダウンロード | 年賀状ならブラザー

津川洋行監修 紙で作る 鉄道ジオラマ - プリふれ模型店|プリンターでふれあおう!プリふれ|年賀状・無料ダウンロード|年賀状ならブ ラザー

The files can get quite large but if you're using them as-is, printing them to a PDF file sometimes reduces the file size significantly. The trade off is unavoidable pixelation when enlarging.

I do agree that Sakamoto-san has more variety, though - I've sent you a PM.

Last edited by lfuente; 09-03-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 227.59 MB
Lightbulb

@JohnWagenseil; The struggle is real my paper pal.

Immediately after hours of painstakingly going through the arc.ritsumei website and then detailing my find for this forum, I found another thread started by Robert Tauxe (aka papermodelfan) titled, A new museum collection of tatebanko online where he describes his donation of tatebanko to the Smithsonian.

Wouldnt you know it. Robert's collection is basically the same tatebanko pages. Theyre even divided into sets, which is extremely helpful since my image-dump from the university database came with no descriptions.

John, I saw you were already on Roberts thread but for everyone else, here is the Smithsonian link to the Robert Tauxe collection (You searched for Robert Tauxe | Freer Gallery of Art & Arthur M. Sackler Gallery)

"Art is whatever you can get away with." Andy Warhol
Old 09-05-2021, 08:28 AM

A 100th scale model of a Japanese modern house saved from oblivion
papercraft/freedata02
Click "freedata/house01" to download the model.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:44 PM

Sumiyoshi Ward Mascots
大阪市住吉区:「ペーパークラフトすみちゃん」をつくってみてください。 (すみちゃん)

Tags
edo period tatebanko