PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-15-2016, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Nope...it's just highlights from the actual builds at UAMF...
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 173.93 MB
Old 11-16-2017, 03:06 PM

In mid-September, after a total collapse of modelling mojo, I started on this build again...

The first time in just over a year that I stuck some bits together...continuing my build of the GPM 1/33 Fl-282 Kolibri helicopter from last year's Large Scale Planes GB (The Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum • View topic - Simon's Flit in a Flettner)...

Still working on the turret base...not quite perfect joins - things are still a little bit wobbly after a year's break - but there's still a concealing layer to go over the top...

There isn't much internal structure to support the roof or the walls so I have been carrying reinforcing as I go. There is no structure at all for the gun compartment: what I guess is the glacis plate is only a single piece of thin card (maybe 160gsm) to support the roof and the landing pad that will be mounted on top. My next task will be to design and build enough internal support to take the weight and support the walls, which are also - at this point - only thin card...

Once I saw the initial structure of the turret in 3D, I had to up my meds to suppress the AMS urge to build some detail into the rear compartment of the turret, or to buy some 15cm field pieces to loot for gun parts...
Old 11-16-2017, 03:07 PM

17 September: Tonight, I photocopied the turret front and side pieces against a green background, then laminated the pieces onto 1mm card to make reinforcing formers for the turret; I had another look at it and I still don’t think the current design will support the weight of the flight deck let alone the helo…

I'll let this cure overnight and then cut the parts out - that may be a couple of days as our fire training night has shifted to Mondays; and Tuesday night is our monthly business association meeting...that also competes with the Tight-As cheap ribs night as Schnapps Bar up the road...

Wow! Two nights of physical modelling activity in a row..!!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:08 PM

15 October:

Lots of stuff going on in the last month or so, new job, new rescue dog...haven't had time for much else...

Tonight, I made the effort and trimmed out the reinforcing formers for the turret that I had laminated a few weeks back...these will provide a more solid backing for the paper-thin (literally) sidewalls that are all that are provided in the original kit...

Hope to have these parts fitted into the turret this week...I'm working more nights now so daytime modelling may depend on the weather...
Google Adsense
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM

29 October:

Been busy adjusting to a new job and new hours, mainly in the afternoon and evening which, ironically, mean more me...I just need to adjust to that concept and make the most of it...

This afternoon before heading off to work - as soon as this post is posted - I added the side walls for the 15cm gun compartment...

Still thinking how much of the gun compartment I want to be visible...a twinge of AMS says that I could use the guns from a 1/25 Hummel resized to 1/33...
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 PM

November 3:

Slow progress but progress...although quite a large model that will have to bear some weight when complete, it relies primarily on butt joins. I have been reinforcing each join as I go to be sure the whole thing won't collapse into an untidy heap as soon as it is all assembled...on top of this the fit of parts leaves much to be desired (common in even modern paper models where it seems the concept of a test build is somewhat alien) so the fit of each part much be checked as I go...

Last I reinforced the sides of the gun room in anticipation of fitting the glacis former this afternoon - it doesn't fit and will need trimming to fit as it is too high...
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM

November 16:

A bit of progress at a time and slowly getting there..including a little rearwards progress, regression perhaps. Somehow, I made one of the gun bay sides too small...

...as you may see here with the incorrect part against the correct plate showing the skewed error...this is one of the good things about paper models is that it is easy to make new parts to fix whoopsies like this...

Corrected part back in place...
[img]
https://sjponeillmodelsblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/p71110-000106.jpg?w=680[/img]

Adding reinforcing 5mm balsa along all the seams to keep them square and provide much needed internal support...

Mounting the glacis plate...until this time, I never thought there might be some other advantages derived from those strips of balsa....as it turns out they are great for using push pins to hold parts in place until the glue is well-cured...

...and there is a final surface sheet that will cover over these pin holes...
Old 11-16-2017, 03:13 PM

November 17:

even though I am only doing a little each day, it feels great to be building on a regular basis again...

Working on simulating the depth of the glacis armour plate…from this image, it looks like the 5mm balsa will look about right…I am consistently clamping all the balsa supports now to ensure that they are flush with the card and hold it square…

Looking at the image of the actual turret, it is very clean and free of protrusions…less what appear to be weld seams in front of below what I assume is either a vent or periscope viewer, there are few signs of manufacturing process…

… certainly not the dozens of bolts marked on and provided in the kit…while I was somewhat masochistically looking forward to attaching these parts, I am not crying myself to sleep over their departure from the construction plan…

In a blatant plug, I have left the book I have just finished rereading in the image. Into A Dark Frontier is a great read (Delivery | The Daily Post | The World According to Me…), a semi-contemporary African dystopia with no jihadis…it has a personal connection too as I assisted John in a small way with the development of the Kiwi characters…
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM

That's all posts caught up now so I'll try to keep my build synced on PM.com as well...

I'm enjoying the turret build so much that I need to keep reminding myself that this, the object of the exercise, is still to come...

Google Adsense