PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 11-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Good to see you back to work on this project. I have the kit in the build pile, but it’s pretty far down in the que.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Good to see you posting and building again Simon. Your pics show what should be a solid model when finished. Nice work.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think it will need to be, Elliott, it has to support the flight deck and the helicopter which was/is the whole pint of the exercise...
Fixed the upper sides of the gun room last night…P71120-001845 …reinforced the joins with 5mm balsa…and added the sidewalls for the rear crew compartment…
I’ll complete the rear compartment for strength, before returning to the interior of the gun room for the barrel mounts and an all-over interior coat of the deepest darkest black to conceal the (lack of) interior)…
Old 11-20-2017, 06:55 PM

A little every day…not much last night as it’s fire training night and that tends to go longer as the days get longer…

…sanded the balsa to shape to represent the glacis armour. I’ll hit this with spray putty before fine-tuning into shape…

Just getting an idea of what the final product will look like…I’ll add the roof armour from balsa and sand to shape before fixing the roof in place for good and then fine tune after puttying…
Old 11-26-2017, 04:13 PM

I added the rather simplistic gun mounts last night. I think this now puts paid to any idea that I might have had about installing full guns based on something like the Modelik 1/25 Hummel. Once the interior is painted black and the roof plate is in place, there shouldn’t be be too much to see in there anyway…

Braces for the mount plates are provided in the kit but I’m going to fix the barrels in place i.e. non-elevating, so the beam that runs between the mounts and holds the barrels should be reinforcing enough…

I also added some supports to the turret roof to help carry the weight of the flight deck. I’ll bevel the end of the beams so that they fit nicely onto those supporting the turret sides…
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 AM

Test fit of the gun room roof…I still need to fine tune the shaping of the armour thickness around the gun ports…I’ll spray putty this and smooth it off before fixing the roof in place:hopefully that will reduce the amount of dust that that will drift into the gun room itself – although dust deterrence is still a long term problem to be solved…

Fixing supports for the crew room walls in place and shaping liners for the rear wall. Without these, the rear wall would be nothing more substantial that a sheet of 160gsm paper…The liners will have to be pre-curved to match the profile of the rear of the turret...
Old 11-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Adding rear supports for the crew room roof..had to shim one of the supports after some lazy measuring/cutting…I’m probably hideously over-engineering all this but I have had models, in the past, slowly start to sag under weight and want to avoid that here…
Old 12-04-2017, 06:46 AM

The last few days have been quite busy in real life plus I have been thinking on how to best support the rear wall of the crew room. I thought of using soft wire or foam board to create a support for the edges of the wall plates…but in the end, I opted for good old card templates…
Seen here all labelled up so I can remember which way is which…

..and here the bottom plates being clamped into place while the PVA dries. I’ve indented each plate to allow for the the thickness of the card I’m using for the rear wall plates…
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Fixing the templates to the top of the crew room…

We’ve got some real summer weather now – for how long who knows – so maximising outdoors time at the moment and only getting little bits of modelling done...
Old 12-08-2017, 04:13 PM

Added the top plates to the crew room roof last night…
…after all the mods and fettling, they fitted really well…
…with just some minor touch ups required…
I have made up two parts for the back plates but this morning, as I’m looking at it, I wondering it I wouldn’t be better off using a single piece in order to get a smoother curve around the rear surface and avoid the join (with any commensurate changes to the curve) in the middle…
Google Adsense