PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, thanks for that link with the completed prime. That thing is a beast. That makes me really want to start on mine. I have fresh ink cartriges, but I am struggling to find some heavier weight paper for the legs. I have visited 3 different craft stores. Oh well, I may just go with the heaviest I can find. I hope to start this weekend. I'm going to go from the feet up.

Caustic when you wrote on there 'Big O' I was a little confused. My first thought was an anime series called 'The Big O' and I thought someone had done that robot. (I have seen plans but no actual builds) I thought hmmmm he must have posted in the wrong section, but I still wanted to check it out. Much to my suprise it was the first completed Optimus Prime. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrr 'The Big O'ptimus..... I'm not the brightest crayon in the box sometimes. LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 07:55 AM

Do you have any office supply stores in your area? Something like Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max? You can get heavy paper there easily enough. That's where I get 110 lb cover stock, which I use for all but the smallest parts (which don't exist if you're building Optimus at the intended scale ). They should all have a pretty good selection.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
I was working on Julius' Optimus Prime but I was using photo paper (not the best choice) the glue would just sit on the surface...just barely bump the model and it would fall apart. Anywho I was moving it a few weeks ago to make room for something else and it fell off my desk. The end result looked like Optimus fell into a meat grinder, the parts just exploded. So needless to say I'm going to have to start over with 110# stock, I think when I start working on him again, I might just start from the feet up. I haven't decided yet (can't print anything at the moment because my printer decided to go on vacation and not leave a forwarding address). I wanted to build him 2x to make it easier on my stubby fingers, but one look from my wife sent chills down my spine...hey I figured double size I could put some nice lighting effects on it but well....nuff said
Old 08-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.24 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewalston View Post
I was working on Julius' Optimus Prime but I was using photo paper (not the best choice) the glue would just sit on the surface...just barely bump the model and it would fall apart. Anywho I was moving it a few weeks ago to make room for something else and it fell off my desk. The end result looked like Optimus fell into a meat grinder, the parts just exploded. So needless to say I'm going to have to start over with 110# stock, I think when I start working on him again, I might just start from the feet up. I haven't decided yet (can't print anything at the moment because my printer decided to go on vacation and not leave a forwarding address). I wanted to build him 2x to make it easier on my stubby fingers, but one look from my wife sent chills down my spine...hey I figured double size I could put some nice lighting effects on it but well....nuff said
gettin rearly confussed with all the comments about using photo paper .....with glueing etc ....below is what i use and have had no problems at all with the part sticking together ...i have a small squeeze tube that i aquired in another paper model kit ages ago ,it is re-fillable and has about a 1 mm nozzle..i use the glue pictured below..for glueing all i do is put 2 or 3 beads of glue along the flap ,then spread it out and remove excess with an old x-acto blade,using this method the glue is quick to dry ,but i still get time to make adjustments to the fit..ive not had any problems with the glue sticking???? ...

the glue is bought from my local £1 store ..
Attached Thumbnails
Optimus Prime : Paper-Replika-glue.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up Caustic. I will try to hit one of those stores tomorrow afternoon. I just picked up 2 things of regular 110lb. Thats what I do almost everything in. But I really need to finish my Samaritan Gun first. I can't wait to tackle this. I think the only mod I'm going to do is add blue led's to the eyes.
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.64 MB
bit late, but here is my build-

Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.60 MB
Nice work. Bigger than you think, isn't he. Still got mine, really should take some photos.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM

thanks. he's almost as big as my 1/100th ISS AND my LUT! but sadly he is slowly destroying my Iss =(
Old 10-01-2011, 10:47 AM

done 1 leg, pic-, you can Just see my foot, its HUGE

Tags
movie, optimus prime, transformers