PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
WWI French Hospital

This is a direct link to a JPG image of a vintage paper model at the French Ministry of Culture Web site. It was part of an on line WW1 centenary exhibit, unfortunately for which the URL I did not save, only the paper model link.
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/imag...1_018969_1.jpg

A presentation about how to do a scientific restoration of a vintage paper model:
Commission scientifique régionale de restauration pour les musées de Bretagne - Ministère de la Culture

No paper models, only official WW1 Canadian art
Art and Culture - Official Art | Canada and the First World War
Perhaps the field punishment #1 diagram could be used as paper model subject.
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Those are some really great sketches and watercolors.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Thanks for the link to the Hospital model. My wife's great aunt was a nurse in WWI and a very interesting person. She would visit quite often. She was still nursing (at the age of 97) at a private boys school. She died at the age of 101. Her stories were something else!

John
Old 10-16-2017, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, John Wagenseil. Thanks for the model titled, Une Salle d’Ambulance de la Croix Rouge, or, A Red Cross Hospital. I’ve been thinking about my next paper modeling project, and while I can’t cut card right now, I hope to do a short series showing models dealing with the care of the wounded in The Great War. There are a number of century-old models that deal with this subject, and your post reawakened my interest.

Attached find two versions of the model linked above. The first was printed by Pellerin, the famous French publisher, while the second is a counterfeit. And not a very good counterfeit at that. It’s as if the Pellerin diorama was laid on a light table, and the fake was traced directly from the original image. It is this parentless counterfeit that is the subject of John’s first link above.

Now, I’m not casting any aspersions here, I’m only pointing out that there were such counterfeits, and evidently plenty of them. In John’s post of last July 28th in the Found It On The Internet forum, he links a number of sources for contemporary Great War models, and among them is Joconde - catalogue - dictionnaires This is where I found both the Pellerin and the fake hospital models, as well as other Pellerin originals and their counterfeit counterparts. I’m glad to have both hospital models, as the Pellerin version is a rather touching tableau showing an idealized care facility, and the second model shows the lengths that some will stoop to capitalize on the efforts of others. Thievery in the sky-blue world of paper models…who could have guessed?

It’s also worth noting that in the Joconde - catalogue - dictionnaires descriptions of the hospital models, the Pellerin model is given its correct name, but the counterfeit is also referred to as a Pellerin publication. The only difference is that the description of the fake carries the French word, “attribue” meaning “assigned.” This means that even the curator didn’t know the true source of the spurious model, and for the sake of cataloging it, it was place amidst its genuine cousins. Like a cuckoo's egg among the host's. Interesting stuff.

Getting ready for winter here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes takes a bit of doing, so it will be some time before I can get to my next paper modeling project, but I look forward to it. And, it will be a much better effort due to John Wagenseil’s finds on the internet. Thanks John.

Score and fold,

Thumb dog
Attached Thumbnails
WWI French Hospital-epinal-23-copy.jpg   WWI French Hospital-epinal-hospital-fake-copy.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Thumb Dog,
Thanks for resurfacing the link. I must have missed it when John earlier posts.
Google Adsense