PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Dave is proof that it can be controlled. I look through pirate sites for his and other designers' models, and report to them when they appear so that they can get them removed. And it works.

Don't just go through Pintrest and look at all the FiddlersGreen and other models. Note the site and report it to the designer so they can get it removed.

We can't stop all of the piracy, but we can help protect our own- our friends who design these models for our enjoyment
Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Actually, on the topic of Pinterest, they are very agreeable to the idea of removing copyrighted material.
I have in the past, reported my own models sheets on some Pinterest pages and they were removed very quickly.

Usually the owner, or an authorized representative of the copyright holder
is the one who must report and demand against copyright infringement.
But sometimes providing evidence of the infringement is enough.
If you report a pirated file, make sure to provide the original source location.
Provide information regarding the original owner and where the file is originally sold or distributed.
This means an actual link to that location so someone can verify its existence.
You must also represent yourself properly.
Declare that you are acting on behalf of the copyright holder and provide your full name and address.
You can't just send in anonymous reports.

You can submit a DMCA report by email to most sites to report copyright infringement.
Many sites have their own reporting method that may involve filling out a report submission form.
Usually, just the sight of a proper DMCA report is enough to get their attention and action.
I have sent DMCA with vague and incomplete information and still got results.

Ebay requires you to take part in the VERO program to deal with copyrights.
I don't know enough about it any more to comment.
Other than the fact that it seemed overly complicated.
But, if you are a seller or copyright holder and wish to protect your property,
it might be a good idea to sign up.

Anyone who doesn't take part, has never had something of theirs stolen.
Or, they feel entitled to steal what they can't afford or don't want to pay for.

I've heard every justification...the Robin Hood excuse, the "its overpriced/too expensive" complaint, the "didn't realize it was a copy" bullcrap.
All the excuses in the world don't change the fact that you are stealing something and you know you are stealing something.
At least have the balls to admit it.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
If everyone took the long view of this issue they would see that it is in THEIR best interests not to pirate kits. The designers of these kits cannot be expected to do this for free. The cost is not the issue with these very inexpensive kits. This is the most inexpensive hobby I have ever seen. It is not a political issue it is an individual integrity issue. Just the fact that you and others have posted trying to justify it shows that deep down you know it is wrong. If you really want to stop piracy do not do it. If everyone does then the problem is a non issue.

Example: I am a F4F Wildcat fanatic. I am holding back on building one until I have the proper skills for things like the landing gear. I found an Arsenal 1:33 kit on Pinterest and saved it. Now that I know more about the hobby I realize that I have pirated it I am now trying to find a site in Poland (recommendations welcome) to buy the full copy from which I will then either build full size or shrink to 1:100.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
While I was writing the above Dave posted his. He says it all much better than I did. I was not aware that these items can be reported to Pinterest.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM

What does 'DMCA' stand for? I doubt I am the only one who doesn't know
Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
And...its not just about money or lost revenue.
This all applies to free models and free downloads too.

For example, Uhu wants people to get his models at his website.
Thats one reason he is irritated by those who copy and share the models elsewhere.
Maybe he gets add revenue from visitors to his site, I don't know.
But he has his reasons for distributing only through his website.

So if you redistribute his models, you are stealing his credit, stealing website profits, and reducing his web traffic.

I want people to come to my website to get Koolwheelz models.
I don't want them shared on other websites by anyone else.
Because, when you come to my website, you see my presentation.
You see my articles and other offerings.
You see my Forum link and my Webstore links.
You see my Tshirt store and my Paypal donation requests.
Maybe you end up spending money on something else.

When my Koolwheelz models (or any of my models) get posted on some pirate sharing site,
it stops visitors to my website, blocks my exposure, and in the end, it potentially costs me money.

Some artists just don't want their work copied.
Some artists want to share work in a certain way, or for a limited time.
Its their right.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
One little point about ''Those sites""First its the people who knowingly upload other folks works on there that are at fault rather than the sites themselves imho.While some of the sites will remove offending uploads some will not.Good on you dave for keeping on their case when you can.Im sure they have now way of checking providence of every model that is uploaded to them.Also there is a side issue where some designers upload their own free models to those sites out of choice.Are we to tell designers where they can post there models.I started a thread months ago after i found one of maks models on there.After copping it in the ear from many holier than thou memebers for daring to trawl on there it turned oput that maks placed all his models on there freely out of choice,after long conversations beyween forum members.admin and maks he now places all his models directly through this site so we can now enjoy them without having the stigma of having to admit visiting these no go areas,I think this forum has benifited well from his decision.
Ok so now for my big shock horror confession.If there is on old out of print model that i really want and i have 2 choices to get it which do you think i would take
1,download a free pirated version?? off one of those sites
2.buy a pirated reprint version on ali or some other such site selling them.
There are many different isssues raised by these sites and at the end of it all people will all act differently,
My issue here would be with the folks-some members and some not who knowingly post other peoples work onto them
Old 02-16-2018, 01:14 PM

For the downloaders, they are either ignorant of what is going on, or they are willfully blind to what is going on, or willfully taking part.

Uploaders should know this is not right, but with Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest, etc., we are a world of sharers. Just a quick glance at Facebook or Youtube will make it obvious that people share what shouldn't be shared, piracy or not
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Let's not forget the DMCA is a USA law. As such, it can help only in those cases where servers or users are located in the USA. That's where it strength lies, but it is also its biggest weakness. In the cases where pirates use foreign servers or live in other countries (and there are +190 other countries in the world besides the USA), sometimes it is difficult to protect copyright with that tool, as other countries don't have such strong laws or don't enforce them with the same effectiveness. Still, the DMCA is probably the strongest tool on hand when dealing with internet pirates. And fortunately a great amount of the internet servers are located or have a strong connection with USA and are subject in one way or another to it.

In those cases where such tool can't be used, education is a quite powerful tool also, teaching others about respect, values, and the responsible use of the technology helps a lot. Education is a strong tool.

Also, I should say it is not surprising that someone who was made zero contributions and who has never publicly showed his modeling skills, is the same someone who has most prominently talked in favor of piracy. Because even if he hasn't explicitly defended it, such a defeatist attitude makes more bad than good. Had the allies had the same defeatist spirit when facing the nazi threat, and considered joining them because evil was inevitable, we would be living a much different story.

Google Adsense