PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I had gigs of pirated models... than decided to turn from the darkside and deleted them.

ooohweee! That was hard. It knocked me down from over 13 gigs to only about 6 gigs of downloaded models.

However, since then; I've recently just passed 9 gigs worth of legitimate, free models.

But I DO refer to them quite often in fact. Just like JimNunn and Nimitzfan. They're great sources of new design ideas and solutions to building problems.

Yeah it IS a little nuts. And yes you ARE a little coo coo..

So, you might as well just revel in it. Maybe you could print out a few sheets now and again to roll in while laughing hysterically.

David
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Gharbad you're right! I didn't know that VISTA did that - and so that saves me the hassle of finding new software! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
Vista will show the first page of a PDF if you have it set to "medium icons" or larger, like the old thumbnail views for photos.
actually it is determined by the dedicated program associated with that file. My folder view is set to "thumbnail", but normal icon size, my PDFs are "associated with" Adobe Reader (and I also have Adobe Acrobat installed).

My PDFs all show as the first page, in thumbnail view (within folders).

I am running an old version of XP.

Note...for "PC Dummies"...change the way any file opens by changing its program association. This will also affect any and all files of the same type. You can specifiy which program to use when opening that file, by right clicking on the file icon and picking "properties".
On the "General" tab, you will see "Type of File" and "Opens with"...and you can change the associated program at that point.
Make sure you "apply" before saying "Okay" and closing this window.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelant View Post
You will feel better if you talk to a serious plastic modeler whose closet, spare bedroom and garage are stuffed with kits--for "when I retire."
Hey, I resemble that! The closets may not be stuffed, but thank god I discovered paper models. Now the collection doesn't take up so much space .

I'm still gonna build those plastic ones though. Someday.

SJ
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
"Is this a problem?" . . . not as long as there is room on your hard disk. My wife is a knitter. She has bags, balls, skeins, and boxes of yarn stashed all over the house--and I mean ALL over. It's a very common condition among knitters. I believe the common term is "yarn harlot."

Having dozens of paper model kits I'll never have the time (or perhaps the burning desire) to build is an equally common condition among paper modelers--and plastic modelers, for that matter. But I wouldn't call that a problem.

As I see it, the only problem is deciding which kit to build next, when you have a gazillion choices. That kind of problem, I can handle.

No worries,
--David
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 167.48 MB
Just been browsing this thread. Glad to see I'm not the only squirrel here! I have some 12 gigs of model files, and I download everything that's free except for things I have no interest in, like mecha, anime figures and some of the game-related models. I only build a few models as I'm often too busy, but the beauty of card modelling is that a) the models are usually free - it only costs a small amount for card and ink, b) if you make a mess of something during a build you can easily replace parts by doing another partial print or even starting from scratch. c) although card/paper models are fragile and easily damaged during a house move, for example (oh, boy, do I know this!) at least you won't have lost something that cost a fortune, and if you've still got the file you can do it again. By the way, I agree - I wish more designers would print a link to their site on the model. I now usually include this in a text file that I save in the model folder.
I have catalogued my file collection several times, but updating it can be a real chore, so I don't bother now.

Graham
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yep, I've got about 12 gigs of models burned onto discs, free and commercial. I also have quite a thick bunch of file folders with downloaded free and commercial models that have been printed and are "in the queue" .
There are also a bunch of pre-printed model books laying around, like the Unseen University. So much good stuff out there. Gotta have more! :D
See, no problem at all.:D