PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Smile Is this a problem?

I got introduced to Paper Modeling several years back, coming off years of plastic and model railroading. I enjoy Paper Models for the wide diversity, and make it a rule that although I love ship models, I always build something unrelated between each one.

But, I find myself always going anywhere there is a new free model posted and downloading it - automatically - even if there is little chance I'll ever build it. For example, Cannon has just listed a fantastic model of the Potala Palace - and it looks fabulous. But, there is little chance I'll ever build it - I'm not sure that I even have room to work on it - still I downloaded it.

My question - is this a problem?

Or, is it just the pack-rack in me?

It's not a cost factor - I have U-Verse and it takes only seconds to do it. But I just checked, and I have at least 6.8gig worth of model files. True, I have bought 30 or 40 of them off various online sites.

I'm not really concerned - I'm just curious how others view this habit of collecting all the freebies that we can.....

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Rich,

Welcome to the papermodeler's version of one's eyes being bigger than their stomachs syndrome.

It happens to all of us, there are models I have which I like, but doubt that I will build.

Just accept it, and buy a portable hard drive, because it will only get worse from now.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
No problem as far as I am concerned. It shows an appreciation for the designer's work.

Ken
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Tis no tribble atal. I rationalize it by saying that my tastes in modeling subjects has tended to change over the years, and the freebie postings thingies tend to be fleeting in their availablility. And, if I don't build it, maybe by grandkids will be interested someday. Just get yourself a very BIG portable drive. I remember the day I asked myself if I would ever really need a 20 meg hard drive.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
always good to have a selection to choose from. you never know what youl be in the mood for down the road! my model folder is 11 gigs(bought and free.)
Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
There was another thread comparing the size of model collections a while back, so I think one way or the other it's a shared obsession with many

I know that I have tried to thin my digital collection a couple times, and I rarely end up deleting anything. There's always a possibility at some point in time I'll build it. Well, maybe if somebody invents a time machine - but have to be ready just in case :D
Old 07-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
The only problem I see is the one I have with trying to keep my folders organized...well, at least semi-organized.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Hello Nimitzfan, my name is The DC, and I too am a downloadaholic...

Despite several well meaning 12 step programs, I have many gig reserved for my 'issue...

I have tried going cold turkey and even weening myself, but several people here keep hanging around my place, with the ever inviting whisper; 'Hey kid...want some...Paper!'

My advise is buy bigger storage, and when time permits, think of this as the preparation of toys for later years. Just becareful...when getting the burst of time and energy to build the 'somedays,' you could suffer from 'toxic paper syndome.' There an entry about it on wiki, I'm sure.

THE DC
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 PM

everyone's a sucker for freebies, just get a larger hard drive
Old 07-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.83 MB
Guilty as charged! I too am a freebee addict. But like someone said earlier, it is becasue I admire the work. Besides I have found that when Idon't save a model for the future, when I want it, guess what? Not there anymore. I had to buy a separate hardrive to hold mine. But I do like looking at them from time to time and I will build some of them in the future. It is also nice to be able to help someone who is looking for something and can't find it.
Google Adsense