PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
? plasteeq ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140677...7625827016776/

Labeled as a paper model SU-27 but I do not believe it. Any thoughts?
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2018, 03:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
looks like paper to me... hand painted

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
You can see signs of it's paperness. He used petals for the nose, so instead of being round, it's polygonal.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
it is a paper model, just a bit heavy on the paint, and the raised panel surfaces.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
USD 140 for this glossy, chunky toy? the guy must be joking!
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2018, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
He did put a lot of work into it but I would buy it. Painting paper models is a no-go for me .
Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Looking at that I realize that I am in the wrong business if he is getting $140 for that!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 08-09-2018, 04:41 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
before this thread de-evolves into a shouting match over pricing, keep this in mind.

If you were to be asked to create something using your skill set(whatever the hobby, whatever the medium) would you not want to be fairly compensated for your time, electricity, glue, paper, internet bill, food, water, etc, etc... all those things that were used when you were working on that project?

It is the only build of this aircraft in the world, it will not be printed again, and built, so it is a 1 of 1 example.

The price he is asking, is not totally out of line with any other handmade item, in my pen turning hobby, the selling price is anywhere from 2x to 3x for time/materials and other costs. I have seen handmade kites go for well over $200, ok, so the item might not interest you at this moment, there will be someone who likes the look of that model, and will pay what the builder is asking.

It is not our place to argue about the price, or the build itself, because then my next question would be, can you do any better?

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.47 MB
well, yes i can do better and i am certain that most members here can do better than me. that's not the point. unless it's a forum rule that 'arguments' about the price, or the quality of a build are forbidden, i fail to understand why, when a model is presented on an open forum like this, it is 'not our place' to voice our opinion, praise and/or criticism?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I, personally, don't like much the glossy, heavy finish of the model being discussed. But having been in the hobby for so many years, and having developed skills in many other crafts, I am not a t all surprised by the price he put to his work, even if I would never buy it. One may not like at all one object to understand its inherent value/price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
well, yes i can do better and i am certain that most members here can do better than me. that's not the point. unless it's a forum rule that 'arguments' about the price, or the quality of a build are forbidden, i fail to understand why, when a model is presented on an open forum like this, it is 'not our place' to voice our opinion, praise and/or criticism?
Sure you could do better, as people following your builds have seen your talent.

And we've certainly have had discussions on the relationship between our hobby and money. Most recently this one:
A Question
So, it is not a forbidden topic.

And we have daily discussions on the quality of our peers' models.

This forum has been characterized by the high level of the way people express their own opinions and supporting arguments, and the respect towards other modelers and their work, whether that work is shown here or elsewhere.

That's why it is sad to see that some people voicing their views in a very 4-chan-ish way. Describing something a fellow modeler spent dozens of hours building as a mere "chunky glossy toy" doesn't speak much about the model itself.

Don´t dismiss something other person made using derogatory terms just because you don't like it. That's far from a supporting argument: it is merely a loosely worded opinion that looks more as coming from passion than from reason. And this world has had enough of heated passion without dialogue or compassion.

Now, I really wonder if some the same words that have been written to "criticize" or express an opinion about the model in question, would have been uttered if the modeler himself would be a member of this forum and had showed the photos himself here.

It is natural for groups to reject what comes from the outside, and even more if we sense some differences to what we do. Just look at how some people can't even say "plastic models" aloud in this forum as if it were a taboo word. But we're talking about other people who do as we do, just in different ways we don't.

As a famous now-dead singer once said: "you show respect, even if you disagree".

Google Adsense