PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 10-09-2018, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Leif. I'm getting the impression that you might have missed the white thread wound around the centre of the motor. This is pulled out to wind up the rubber, and it just trails along behind the car as it winds back in.

For aicraft use this would have to be routed out the back to keep it well away from the propellor.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
RIGHT! Now I understand - I think...

Thanks John, for taking the trouble trying to understand how I might not have understood it.

Interesting. So, now we've got to adapt Don's sketch with a small hole in the airplane models bottom, drag out a small white thread (perhaps with a small blob on it, to stop it from disappearing back into the fuselage) and then let it go. Pretty!

Still, how does one make the rest of it; the working innards of the motor? I'm intrigued...

Leif
Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
I see how it works
Rubber motor-dzeop-owaaaoto1.jpg
Just like the good old cotton reel tanks my grandad make for me when I were a wee lad
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM

Now I get it even better. The motor is just the little rubber band or elastic inside the roll; what's outside is just for friction - plus the white thread for pulling out to wind up the motor.

Leif
Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
It is similar in principle Gary but without the candle brake.

There are no innards Leif. It's just a drum with a rubber band through it. The band is anchored to both the side rails. The drum has two brown rubber bands wrapped around it as tyres to grip the floor. The white thread is wrapped around the drun between these tyres. When the thread is pulled out it will turn the drum and wind up the motor band. It will probably work better if this is pre-wound a bit. When you let go of the thread the motor band will rewind the drum which will drive the car along at some speed. (Using a candle slice like in Gary's tanks would slow it down a lot, but this is a racing car!) As someone already suggested, the thread does need a blob on the end to prevent it dissapearing round the drum. Toys using this method of propulsion usually have a small ring that you get hold of to pull the thread out.

Phew ... Hurry up with the translation job Doug.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a tab with Epson written on it that goes on the end of the string to prevent it from wrapping completely around the drum. The tab is part 35.

I have the section of the how-to pdf with the instructions on the motor translated, pages 3 and 4. It is relatively easy to decipher even with the strange translation from the online translation engine. Probably not acceptable to share the pdf, though, since it is a copywrighted document.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.88 MB
I use rubber motors for most of my models and slow down the action by means of a slice of candle. They run fo0r a number of minutes as you will see from my videos.
The elastic band runs in a torque tube made from card in box form or a tube of print paper rolled round a pencil and glued at the end.
Both ate rigid enough to resist the tension exerted by the band.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 AM

Several good ideas and helpful instructions. Thank you! -L.