PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 11-17-2018, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Kallboys barge model Rheintauer 5

Kallboys has a model of a Rhine River barge that apparently was pulled along by pulleys on the boat that were attached to a wire in the river.
https://www.kallboys.de/mondorfer-bastelboegen

Rheintauer 5
Quote:
The elaborate pulleys can be built in two variants: as simple disc wheels, where the spokes are merely printed or as spoked wheels.
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
When I were a lad, out and about cycle touring wiv me folks, we used to run into these so-called 'Chain ferries' fairly often in the UK. Some were quite big steam-driven floats that carried up to fifty cars. Others were just rope hauled dinghies meant for passengers, but they usually squeezed our tandems on, one at a time.

The last one I was aware of was from Kyle of Lochalsh across to Skye. We used it often when I was posted to the Hebrides, but I know it was replaced by a bridge many years ago. There was a hand-hauled four car ferry at Burrel Boom in Belize that I used to use often, but Google Earth shows me there's a bridge there now.

Doubtful I know, but I wonder if the Rheintauer 5 Barge is still operating?
Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I remember one across the mouth of Poole harbour - you can still see the chains on Google Earth, so it is still operating. The locals called it the 'floating bridge'. There are still several in operation in Holland: the current in some of our narrower rivers is too strong for a 'free' ferry.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
This is nice addition to the ferries and barges on Kallboys site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
I remember one across the mouth of Poole harbour - you can still see the chains on Google Earth, so it is still operating. The locals called it the 'floating bridge'. ..... .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks_Ferry
Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 548.99 MB
Yes, there are still a few in the UK, the Poole one is still there and there is one in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. My great grandad used to operate the one connecting Portsmouth and Gosport, usually massively overloaded apparently. Julian
Google Adsense
Old 11-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The historical notes that are included in the pdf mentions that this particular vessel used a wire rope instead of a chain. It was quieter and made it easier to maneuver the vessel to avoid collisions with other river traffic.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 530.47 MB
Well, I am afraid it is not the sort of the vessel which we here on the Continent usually call ferry. Such barges were used to tow boats upstream the Rhine and other European inland waterways. For that purpose hundreds kms of chains were laid along the riverbeds. Downstream the boats sailed usually undriven. Thus, for example, millions tons of coal were exported from Bohemia to Saxony and Prussia in the late 19th century; thousands of empty wooden boats built in Prussia and Saxony were towed by such steamers upstream, loaded they sailed undriven. Once the loaded boat reached the customer for the third or fourth time, cargo was usually sold including the boat used for its transport. The coal merchants usually took the unloaded received boats apart into firewood or even building timber.

In my homeland Bohemia the last remnants of the chain were removed from the Elbe and Vltava (aka Moldau) riverbeds as late as in 1950s.