PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 07-28-2021, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
A new museum collection of Tatebanko online

Dear friends. Here is some good news. Last year, I donated my collection of tatebanko (or kumiage-e) to the Smithsonian National Museum of Asian Art on the Mall in Washington DC. After some time for processing and scanning the collection, I am glad to say that the whole collection of original prints representing 61 partial and complete models, has now been made available online. Some day, I hope to help the Gallery hold an actual show, including displaying built versions, and possibly a workshop on how to build them. But for now, I am very pleased that they are available.

I have shared bits and pieces of the collection at past Paper Model International Conferences, and have helped write three articles about the form, with colleagues Tony Cole and others. A number of you have approached me about sharing them, and so now I am glad to see them now available for viewing and even download. My prints date from about 1880 - 1912. Each one depicts a story, most often a scene from a play, Kabuki, a Noh play, or a Kyogen - a light-hearted story acted out during the intermission of a Noh play. Some mark historic and cultural events. The collection can be viewed here: <https://asia.si.edu/search/Robert+Tauxe>

or go to asia.si.edu and search on my name, Robert Tauxe

You can see the first available page of each of the sets, and then click on them to enlarge the image. At the bottom of the enlarged image are thumbnails of the rest of the set you can also open up.

All the best, and please stay safe and get vaccinated, if you are not already

Robert Tauxe (aka papermodelfan)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thank you, sir.

Stay safe
Old 07-29-2021, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
This is amazing Robert! I remember discussing these with you at one of our conventions. This must have been a time consuming and rewarding process.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Thank you for sharing your collection with the world.
It must have been unimaginably time consuming to build your collection.
It is very hard finding antique tatebanko on the internet, locating and acquiring the real thing must have been several orders of magnitude more difficult.
I downloaded the Kato Kyomasa page and look forward to adding it to my (small, 3 ) collection of assembled sets of armor and storage boxes. I assume that these were for display on Boys Day.
Again, many thanks for your much appreciated donation to the Smithsonian Museum.

(Do you think you can find a copy of the Kabuki Theatre tatebanko? I have caught glimpses of the assembled tatebanko on the Japanese web, but have yet to find high resolution images of the prints.)
Old 07-31-2021, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Since I made the post below, I found two Japanese web sites that host the Kunisada Kabuki theater. According to Wikipedia, Kunisada Ogawa was a very prolific and popular artist who did a lot of Kabuki themed work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
Thank you for sharing your collection with the world.
It must have been unimaginably time consuming to build your collection.
It is very hard finding antique tatebanko on the internet, locating and acquiring the real thing must have been several orders of magnitude more difficult.
I downloaded the Kato Kyomasa page and look forward to adding it to my (small, 3 ) collection of assembled sets of armor and storage boxes. I assume that these were for display on Boys Day.
Again, many thanks for your much appreciated donation to the Smithsonian Museum.

(Do you think you can find a copy of the Kabuki Theatre tatebanko? I have caught glimpses of the assembled tatebanko on the Japanese web, but have yet to find high resolution images of the prints.)
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2021, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Those are beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Thanks, John Wagenseil for your indefatigueable scouring of the web for these tatebanko models. Yes, the one page print of the set of samurai armor (and the box it goes in) would have been for giving to a boy on Boy's Day. There is probably a parallel for Girl's day, of a star-stepped representation of the Heian High Court in their traditional costumes - I have seen modern versions of this , but not yet as a tatebanko. I am very glad to my collection is now available for folks to download and build (best with ledger sized paper)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is wonderful, Rob!

Don
Old 08-05-2021, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermodelfan View Post
Yes, the one page print of the set of samurai armor (and the box it goes in) would have been for giving to a boy on Boy's Day. There is probably a parallel for Girl's day, of a star-stepped representation of the Heian High Court in their traditional costumes - I have seen modern versions of this , but not yet as a tatebanko.
Sometimes it feels like every Japanese corporate website with papercrafts has a Boy's Day kabuto-kazari display and a Girl's Day hinakazari display! The Canon website has a very cute one where you make model Akita dogs and then dress them up as samurai or royalty.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.48 MB
A great find! Thanks, Papermodelfan!

Greetings from Brazil!

Mauther
Google Adsense