PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Found it on the internet (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/found-internet/)
-   -   FedEx Kinko's glossy card stock (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/found-internet/7382-fedex-kinkos-glossy-card-stock.html)

BARX2 03-09-2010 03:10 PM

FedEx Kinko's glossy card stock

OK folks, I took the plunge and bought a 250-count pack of glossy card stock today for $21.99. This is great stuff. I highly recommend it. Now that I have the package I know the brand name and can find it elsewhere. BUT, the pack is very heavy and so shipping would be a killer. Probably best to just get it at Kinko's. It's Mohawk brand Ultra Gloss cover 90 pound/218 gsm, stock number is 37-104. Here's more info:

Mohawk Card/Cover Stock Ultra Gloss Color Copy/Laser Paper, White, 90 Brightness, Letter, 250 Sheets (37-104) - SuppliesPlus.com

avro202 03-09-2010 03:25 PM

Interesting!

Hmmm...but its for laser printers. I wonder if they have the same for ink-jet?

BARX2 03-09-2010 06:04 PM

Forgot to mention, I am using it with my Epson Stylus 1400 ink jet printer and it's doing great so far. I'll take a picture and upload it.

BARX2 03-09-2010 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures. The first is a screen shot of the original pdf of the FG B-17 Olive color. The second is a photo of the same pdf printed on Kinko's glossy card stock. The color in the photo is a little off because it was taken under fluorescent light. You can see some smudging, but I think it's acceptable. I printed the page using the Best Photo setting and selected Plain White Paper for the medium. I noticed when I selected Glossy Photo Paper the smudging was more pronounced.

ltla9000311 03-09-2010 09:17 PM

Hey Barx, thanks for the tip on the glossy cardstock! I work for one of the sister companies of FedEx Kinkos, (soon to be FedEx Office) and can get an employee discount!;)

The picture of your priny looks nice and crisp, I will definitely give this stuff a try!

gregh 03-13-2010 06:52 PM

thank you for the tip, could not find glossy at staples, office max, office depot.

cMags 03-13-2010 07:12 PM

Have you tried gluing it up yet? Does it hold with PVA as-is or do you have to use CA or scratch off the surface?

BARX2 03-14-2010 08:34 AM

It glues perfectly with my usual Tombow Mono Aqua. No need for CA or scratching the surface. See my Canon green sea turtle here: Picasa Web Albums - Joe - Green Sea Turtle I had the model printed at Kinko's on their laser printer.

I will back off a little on my praise of this card stock when used with the ink jet printer though. Things get a little muddy when there are large areas of color. I guess it's best with a laser printer.

rmks2000 03-14-2010 08:47 AM

I've tried a couple of prints using Staples inkjet brochure and flyer paper., It prints well but is way too thick - 8mm because the coating is double-sided. I only looked at the weight (180 g/m2) and not the thickness when I bought it. It was pretty expensive, ~$30 for 150 sheets. However, Staples allows you to return it at anytime if not happy, so I will probably do that.

alpinemike 03-19-2010 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=BARX2;109714]It glues perfectly with my usual Tombow Mono Aqua. No need for CA or scratching the surface. See my Canon green sea turtle here: Picasa Web Albums - Joe - Green Sea Turtle I had the model printed at Kinko's on their laser printer.

great looking turtle!