PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Future Trotskiys

Thanks, Ron.

Incidentally, I took a little time out from the Hampden to play around with one of the recent Trotskiys: the Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan (Jill). What I hope to do eventually is provide a little dimensionality by using a wing spar (under construction in the photo -- I printed out a copy of a Tenzan 3-view sized to 1/95 -- the scale my Tenzan -- and laminated it to 1mm card), cutting out the landing gear and inserting black paper to give the illusion of wheel wells, bulking up the wheels a little, and maybe making the prop rotate.

However, I do not want to get decisively engaged until the Flying Suitcase is finished. And, of course, I have the GreMir Shoki in my sights as the next big airplane project.

I am also thinking of posting a wrap-up when the last Japanese WWII Navy airplane appears: an index to the planes posted in this series.

If Rick, Jason, and Ash have no objection, I thought I would start a new thread when the first Japanese Army WWII airplane appears (I've already discussed this via back channel with Marv, who began this thread, and he has no objection).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TROTSKIY is up-b6n2-01.jpg  
Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Ryusei24_v25

My missing Trotskiy (Ryusei24_v25) just arrived via Troll-mail. It is Tail Number 752-24, another aircraft of the 752d Naval Air Group [Kaigun Kokutai] at Katori Air Base, Chiba Prefecture, in April 1945.

Don
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The background info has been great - especially for someone whose Nihon-go is limited to asking where the bathroom is and hoping to get a response that involves pointing.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM

It's a good way for me to practice my very modest Nihon-go, but I do not want to give a false impression of Japanese fluency (or functionality).

I can struggle through the Trotskiy translations and book captions with the aid of some dictionaries, but can't carry on any kind of complex conversation and can't read with any facility.

I studied the language in college 50 years ago, lost much of the vocabulary when I studied Korean (nearly identical grammar, some overlap in pronunciation of Chinese-derived words, totally different native vocabulary), gained enough proficiency to ask directions, pass the time of day, and recite the occasional haiku when I was stationed there 1987-90, and lost a lot of it again through lack of practice (except for a few courtesies exchanged with the Japanese International Fellow at the War College and some Japanese and Japanese-American friends in the Carlisle/War College/Dickinson College community).

But I enjoy puzzling out the Trotskiy captions and doing a little superficial research on the aircraft. My postings are a kind of recon by fire: I give it my best shot in hopes that other folks who know more will provide corrections and additional information.

Ganbatte!

Don
Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
The closest I have to any Japanese is dealing with a few customers who transplanted from Japan and waiters at the local sushi places and understanding their Jap-English. I wouldn't know where to begin to learn Japanese. The closest I've come to another language is 2 years of French in high school, and I barely remember bits and pieces of that.

I do appreciate the efforts - every time I read one of your interpretations or stories I learn something - and often then do some quick research and more reading online. Good stuff.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Volumizing the Tenzan

I've continued to play around with my attempt to give some dimensionality to the Trotskiy Nakajima B6N2 Tenzan.

The first photo below shows the wing spar and the parts of the landing gear. I used four disks of .023mm Wausau Exact Bristol, since I couldn't cut a clean disk from 1mm card with my circle cutter.

The second photo shows the spar installed and one landing gear assembled. A little fuzzy, but I am still experimenting here. If and when I get the kinks out of the system, I'll start a proper build thread and fire for the record. Meanwhile, I'll post progress photos in between translating the forthcoming Trotskies.

And if anyone has already done something similar with Trotsky airplanes, please weigh in with advice.

Ganbatte!

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TROTSKIY is up-b6n2-02.jpg   TROTSKIY is up-b6n2-03.jpg  
Old 02-14-2008, 05:43 AM

A New Saiun

Trotskiy’s Valentine’s Day gift (saiun762_v33) is a reissue of Tail Number 762-34, and aircraft of the 11th Recon Squadron, 762d Air Group, based at Kanoya in April 1945. This is one of the aircraft bearing the “Z-flag” on the fuselage and one cherry blossom marking near the forward cockpit.

The inscription at the top reads, ““Navy Carrier-borne Reconnaissance Aircraft [Kaigun Kanjo Teisatsuki] Saiun [Irridescent Cloud] Model 11, 762nd Naval Air Group [Kaigun Kokutai], 11th Reconnaissance Squadron [Teisatsuki 11 Hikotai], April 1945 [Showa Year 120], Kanoya Base.”

Don
Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 AM

Mitsubishi F1M2 "Reikan" (Pete) is up

The latest Trotskiy (Reikan_v14) is the Mitsubishi Type Zero (Reikan) floatplane that was given the Allied codename “Pete.” It is an aircraft from the battleship Musashi, Tail Number 212-01.

The heading of the page reads “Type Zero [Rei-shiki] Observation Seaplane [Suijokansokuki] Model 11 [11- Kei] (F1M2), Battleship Musashi Aircraft [Senkan ‘Musashi’ Noseiki] [“Noseiki” literally means ‘embarked machine’], August 1944 [Showa 19].

Reikan is an abbreviation for Rei-shiki Suijokansokuki [Type Zero Observation Seaplane]in the same way that Reisen was an abbreviation for Rei-shiki Sentoki [Type Zero Fighter].

I assume that the tail number reflects that the battleship floatplane detachment assigned to the Musashi was the 212th Kokutai [literally “Air Unit” that I have been translating as “Air Group,” although you will sometimes find it translated as “Air Corps”]. However, I am not sure of this and have seen references in some IJN and WWII forums to floatplanes cfrom the Musashi with “213” tail number prefixes.

I do not yet have a complete IJN air order of battle and would be grateful for any information on IJN air order of battle info generally and IJN shipboard floatplane units specifically.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-19-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
When I downloaded this file, I got Reikan_v14b as the file name. Did I miss a download? I can't open the file at work to check the tail number due to encryption issues with my adobe here.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 AM

Dan --

I THINK I mis-transcribed the file name. It probably was Reikan_v14b from the beginning and I inadvertently left out the "b." I say this because I have been checking the Trotskiy site a couple of times a day and it was still the Ryusei when I went to bed last night and I found the Pete early this morning. Ash follows this pretty closely and can probably tell us.

I do not have any of the previous Petes. My guess is that this is an update of the previous version 14 (1.4) from 2006 with some subtle change in color or an accuracy panel line fix or some such. The list of previous versions of the Pete in reverse chronological order(which you get to by clicking on the picture of the airplane) reads as follows:

2006.12.17 v1.4 側面図等修正。 [Modification of the side view.]
2004.07.03 v1.3 微調整。[Tweaking of version 1.2.]
2004.01.12 v1.2 1/60。[1/60 scale.]
2003.01.30 v1.1 マーキングが間違っていました。訂正します. [The marking was wrong. Corrected.]
2003.01.25 v1.0 またも世界初、空飛ぶ零観。みなさんがんばって作ってな~。[Another world first, the Zero is flying. I did my best to make it.]

This leads me to believe that version 1.4b (v14b) is a further "tweaking" of version 1.4 of 2006.

As always, I stand ready to be corrected by someone with more secure Japanese language skills and/or knowledge of Trotskiy than I.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-19-2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Typo correction.
Google Adsense