PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Trotskiy Ki-44

I ran into some problems with my attempt to add some dimensionality to the Tenzan, so I took a break to try the same techniques with the Trotskiy Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki version 1.6 in the colors of the Hitachi (Training) Flying Division flying from Mito Airfield in late 1944.

My only modification was to add spars to each wing to get away from the flat wing shape. I would like to have done something about the flat nose, but couldn't figure out how to do it without major surgery.

Here is the spar:
Attached Thumbnails
TROTSKIY is up-ki-44-01.jpg   TROTSKIY is up-ki-44-02.jpg   TROTSKIY is up-ki44-03.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Trotskiy Ki 44 in Flight

And here is the finished airplane on a little stand (4 1mm card disks glued together, covered with blue paper, and impaled on a bamboo skewer).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
TROTSKIY is up-ki-44-04.jpg   TROTSKIY is up-ki-44-04a.jpg   TROTSKIY is up-ki-44-05.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks good, Don. I really think just adding some thickness to the wings makes these models much more realistic. I did a couple of his JU 87s with formed wings last year and it really helps. But I really love your idea of adding dimension to the landing gear.
Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Thanks, Chris. I'd love to see your Ju 87.

I hope to get the Tenzan (with the landing gear) finished and photos here soon, but I have to get to work on that Hampden (still at my back I can hear, Troll's winged chariot hurrying near).

Don
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
nanzan_v17 is up now, a new one for me
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 AM

I'll have to work the translation tonight (Pennsylvania time).
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Seiran-kai (Nanzan)

Sorry to be late with the translation, but it's been a long day.

Today’s Trotskiy aircraft (nanzan_v17) is the Aichi M6A1-K, modified Seiran special attack aircraft (Seiran-kai). The caption reads in Japanese 特殊攻撃練習機晴嵐改(M6A1-K), which translates as: “Special Attacker Trainer [Tokushu Kogeki Renshu Ki] Seiran-kai [Modified Seiran] (M6A1-K).”

The Tail Number Ko-M6-6 begins with the Japanese katakana character “”pronounced “ko,” which indicates that the aircraft was assigned for testing purposes to the Aviation Technical Flight Testing Station [Koku Gijitsu Hikojikenbu] at the the YokosukaNaval Air Technical Arsenal [Kōkū Gijutsu-shō], which the Japanese abbreviated as "Kūgishō" (空技廠).Aircraft assigned to the Yokosuka Flight Testing Station were given tail numbers that reflected the aircraft type (M for special purpose aircraft) and model number (6 = sixth special purpose aircraft produced by the Aichi Aircraft Company), followed by an individual aircraft number.

The Serian-kai was also known as the Nanzan (Southern Mountain).

Don
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 PM

It has just now occured to me that I should have been saving all your translations in my Trotskiy folder...I'll have to go back and do that. Thanks for adding to the value of his models!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
It has just now occured to me that I should have been saving all your translations in my Trotskiy folder...I'll have to go back and do that. Thanks for adding to the value of his models!
a very good idea, thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM

I am compiling a document on the translations. Because this is a busy time for me, it might be a little while before it is ready for prime time, but eventually it will be available somewhere. I want to be careful not to step on Mr. Trotskiy's toes, but I think that translations of the captions with a little additional information on the aircraft and sources for additional information would not be contrary to his interests and intentions.

Don
Google Adsense