PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 01-02-2008, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 426.2 KB
Mitsubishi A7M2 Reppu is up for download
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yes. This is version 15, which is identical to the previously released version 13, as far as I can tell.

The aircraft is the 17-shi (experimental) Carrier Fighter Reppu (A7M2), tail number Ko-A7-3, as it appeared in August 1945 at Misawa Air Base.

Don
Old 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Yes. This is version 15, which is identical to the previously released version 13, as far as I can tell.

The aircraft is the 17-shi (experimental) Carrier Fighter Reppu (A7M2), tail number Ko-A7-3, as it appeared in August 1945 at Misawa Air Base.

Don
Thanks, Don, as always very good explanations
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Generally, when Trotskiy issues a kit with a number update, he has made changes. I don't have v.14 to compare it to, but previous number updates included changes to things such as panel lines or minor markings. I would think this is the same between the v.14 and v.15 Reppu.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Although I couldn't find them in a hasty comparison, I'm sure you are right, Ash, and that there are some panel line or other such changes.

I don't have v.14 to compare with, either, but the aircraft represented is that same one as v.13: tail number [katakana "ko"]-A7-3. A photo of this aircraft appears in Rene Francillon's book, Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War (NY: Funk & Wagnalls, 1970), p. 400.

Do you know what unit the tail code represents? The caption of the model says it is from Misawa Air Base, but I am unfamiliar with the katakana "ko" marking.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-02-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM

Additional Info on the Reppu

Edward Bonthron posted a message to Cardmodelers' email list pointing out that the KO tail marking indicates a test aircraft at the Yokosuka Navy Air Arsenal. He pointed out that the photo that I referred to as appearing in the Francillon book also appears in Donald W.Thorpe's excellent Japanese Naval Air Force Camouflage and Markings World War II on page 17 with an explanatory caption that the aircraft was photographed at Yokosuka.

There is also a photo on the same page of an Aichi Type 99 Model 12 (D3A2-K) bomber trainer version of the Val with the tail marking KO-DKY-3, with a caption explaining that the "DKY" meant "carrier bomber trainer." This makes me wonder if the "A7" in the Reppu tail marking refers to the aircraft being an A7M (7th Mitsubishi carrier fighter).

There is still a mystery in my mind, as the Trotskiy drawing caption clearly says "Misawa Base," which is a heck of a long way from both Yokosuka and the Mitsubishi plants at Nagoya and Osaka.

Don
Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 AM

The Raiden is up for download in version 43
Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Raiden

Thanks for the heads up, Edi.

This is a Mitsubishi Interceptor Raiden ("Thunderbolt" or "Thunderstorm") Type 21 (J2M3) of the 3d Squadron of the 352d Naval Air Group stationed at Omura Air Base, Nagasaki Prefecture, in 1945.

The 352d was a composite unit organized in August 1944 for the defense of the Sasebo, Nagoya, and Omura areas and consisted of three units equipped with Zero (A6M) fighters, Gekko (J1N1-S) night fighters, and Raiden (J2M3) interceptors.

Can anyone add any additional information about the specific aircraft depicted?

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-05-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 AM

yes, and there is a constructional differenc to version 42:
42: on top was the glueing together
43: on bottom is the glueing
I think it`s better made
btw: i`ve built the 42 version:D
Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Revision to the Raiden

Trotskiy has posted a different version of the Raiden: raiden_ko_v43.

The "ko" indicates that this is an aircraft of the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal flight testing department.

The aircraft is tail number Ko-J2-34, the "J2" being a short designation of the aircraft type, J2M3: 3d modification of the second naval interceptor type - "J" - designed by Mitsubishi - "M." Also designated "Raiden Type 21."

At the top of the page, the Japanese caption says (roughly): "Interceptor Raiden ["Thunder and Lightning" or "Thunderbolt"] Type 21 (J2M3), Aviation Technical Flight Testing Station, Showa Year 18 [1944], Kanagawa Prefecture, [Tsuihama?] Base."

I hope someone whose Japanese is more tightly wrapped than mine can verify or correct the name of the air base. The two Japanese kanji characters can be pronounced in a couple of different ways, and I can't precisely identify the location [my face will be red when it turns out to be a well-known air base].

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-09-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Google Adsense