PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Correction on Zero 32

My earlier post was made hastily. I saw the date and that the unit was the Tainan Naval Air Group and made an assumption that the unit was operating from Rabaul. Obviously, by September 1944, Rabaul was no longer an operational airfield and the Tainan NAG apparently had redeployed back to their original location on Taiwan.

The heading of the page reads, "Zero Type Fighter 32 Model (A6M3). Tainan Naval Air Group. September 1944. Taiwan, Tainan Air Field."

Sorry for an overly-hasty posting and initial bum dope.

Incidentally, I would be grateful if someone with a greater facility with Japanese than I would translate the inscription to the left of the identification stencil on the fuselage (port side, aft of the Hinomaru national insignia).

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-21-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM

I think I've Got Most of It!

I've been struggling with the inscription on the Zero 32 of the Tainan Air Group. As near as I can tell, it reads:

Right hand column: Battle [Sen] History (or diary -- the second character is obscured by the panel line).

2d Column from the right: Showa Year 19, 8 month, 31 day (August 31, 1944)

3d Column from the right: "Participated in air battle [kokusen sanka] of/at ? [Ko-indecypherable character- sang- ku-a]"

4th Column from the right: "September 3"

5th Column from the right: "[Doka?] participated [sanka] in shooting down [gekitsui] one [ichi-ki] B-24."

Anybody who can read this will greater accuracy, please weigh in.

Don
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
The 'type 52' (A6M5) is now available for download.

In addition, the first 2 planes no longer have the 'vector' coloring, instead the first 3 have the 'secret' coloring. Not sure what that means...

Also this site makes me kinda tingly - especially that P61 down on the bottom. Now if only I could find a download site for them somehow.

Last edited by dansls1; 12-22-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Dan. He sure is being prolific.

For the Zero 52, Trotskiy has provided two tail numbers: 81-161 of the 381st Naval Air Group, stationed in Aichi Prefecture as of March 1944 (Showa 19), and 43-188 of the 343d Naval Air Group, stationed on Guam in June 1944.

Since he began reissuing models, Trotskiy has added an identifier to the file number. In some cases, a small letter that indicates the carrier air group (so far, he has used “a” for Akagi, “h” for Hiryu, “s” for Soryu, and “z” for Zuikaki) or a number that indicates the tail number of one of the aircraft.

How did you ever find the "archive" site? The Japanese appears to read something to the effect that the site is closed for some reason. I think it also asks for the location of the site not to be revealed. However, since there are no action links, I don't think any harm has been done. There sure are a lot of neat airplanes. Maybe someone will eventually find out how to get into the site. I would be more than happy to pay for some of those models.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-22-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 AM

Question for you Trotskiyphiles - how do you handle printing them? I cannot print A3 sheets full size so have settled for scaling to letter size (65%). Apparently the locking of the file does not allow one to move the view in order to do "print current view" on different sections. Any solutions/thoughts/suggestions on printing a full size version???
Google Adsense
Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Hi Ron. I also scale to letter size, so for me, the Trotskiys are miniature airplanes.

I print them on standard sized 8.5x11 inch paper, using fairly light stuff, usually Wausau Exact Bristol 67-pound, which is .008"/0.2mm thick, and setting the Adobe Acrobat to "fit to printable area." This results in an airplane of roughly 1/90 scale for the Zero 52.

I'm eager to hear from other, more computer literate folks on how they deal with them.

Don
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Hi Ron. I also scale to letter size, so for me, the Trotskiys are miniature airplanes.

I print them on standard sized 8.5x11 inch paper, using fairly light stuff, usually Wausau Exact Bristol 67-pound, which is .008"/0.2mm thick, and setting the Adobe Acrobat to "fit to printable area." This results in an airplane of roughly 1/90 scale for the Zero 52.

I'm eager to hear from other, more computer literate folks on how they deal with them.

Don

I also print them on US Letter size stock. This results in a nice sized model appropriate to the level of detail they have IMHO.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
you would need to buy a printer that can print 11x17/A3 in order to print the files at 100%

short of that, you are stuck printing on letter/A4 sheets

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Since I prefer 1:100 scale models, I print at 60 percent on letter size stock and I have what I want. Otherwise you need a printer capable of A3 or similar size.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:32 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
The A6M2 seaplane is up for download.

I have thus far only collected his models, but when I build them I will also shrink them so they can print on a single 8.5x11" sheet of paper, most likely at 1/100 scale as Ashrunner has indicated.