PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 332.39 MB
Yes thankyou for the information
Tony
Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Thanks much for sharing the sites. Great information.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Excellent Find

This is excellent... Thank you very much indeed
Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Miles Magister panel in 1/16 scale

Just to interest people in what can be accomplished in a morning's work with the help of the sources at the beginning of this thread, here's an instrument panel for the Miles Magister.

First the basic source material:

The first part is from the Hobby Kit Miles Magister in 1/33 scale, rescaled to 1/16. Then follows the panel template found at Arizona Models - and as you can see, they are quite different. Further differences can be spotted when comparing to the photos from the Arizona Models site.

So, I stayed with the Hobby Model kit outline for the part, and then added instruments from the wonderful Czech site. In the center (see left part in image below) is the big turn & bank indicator, obviously considered vital in a trainer like this. Above it, the compass deviation card (from the Arizona Models panel).

At the left you will find airspeed and tachometer (rpm's). Above these are oil pressure and the magneto switch.

To the right is a thermometer (taken from the Arizona Models panel), and an altimeter, strangely squeezed in between the panel and the compass which will be added later (not on the panel itself).

I suffer from horror vacuui, so to fill up the empty space I added a simple clock, since I thought that would be required in a navigational training aircraft, in spite of it being strangely absent from the photos of the original panel.

The idea behind making four layers is the following:

1. Bottom layer. Complete as designed, albeit only the instrument faces will be visible ultimately. If you want to make things easy, just use this. It's still better than the original kit part, I think.

2. Intermediate layer. Cut-outs for instrument faces are larger. The idea behind this layer is to provide some space between the instrument faces and the glazing, which comes next (not illustrated). This is an optional layer.

3. Top layer, with cut-outs the exact size of the instrument faces two layers down.

4. Optional extra details, for adding some relief to the panel. In this case I've chosen to print extra copies of the turn & bank indicator, the magneto switch, and the thermometer, plus the compass deviation card.

If you use these details, be sure to glue them on to the top layer before attempting the cut-outs.

This method is of course applicable to all instrument panels, and may be used on any model. Just print a few copies extra of the existing kit panel.

Leif

And, of course, I ought to build the panel before publishing this. But it looked so good at this stage I couldn't resist it. Which is why I can't resist this high-resolution "before-and-after" image either...

Attached Thumbnails
Panels & instruments to download-miles-magister-panel-1.jpg   Panels & instruments to download-miles-magister-panel-2.jpg   Panels & instruments to download-miles-magister-panel-3.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-20-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Adding the boast image at the bottom
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice system for an IP Leif.

In my current build I added fine copper wire rings to simulate the rims of the bezel glass:

It gives a nice relief, combined with 3-ring binder page protector material for the "glass":

Mike
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Well, Mike, you see I couldn't possibly get anywhere near what you are doing in your thread. Not in double the scale, much less in your 1/33 scale. I have never seen anything like it.

My suggestion for four layers is more like a quick-but-still-better-than-original method for the average builder.

But I will continue to follow your B-25 thread with great pleasure to see something really good taking shape!

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-20-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the kind words Leif, but I think you're underestimating your abilities, sir! Anyone who can put together a clear and concise system as you've laid out above, can certainly create the actual model parts with skill. I appreciate your ability to research and document your findings in the way you do, something I lack in my endeavors. I'm just glad I actually had something that I could contribute to in one of your threads!

Mike
Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM

... and seriously, Mike, I think I might try your metal wire instrument rings one of these days. I'm thinking that the cutouts in the top layer could be sanded slightly larger, equal to size of the cut-outs in the intermediate layer. Then you could add thin (ca 0.25mm) wire in the cutout itself (not on top of it).

That way, the circular cut-out would help forming the wire, and position it firmly, resting on the underlying transparency. And the ring would not be protruding particularly much at all, which might be a good scale effect. In fact, I just went back and spaced the instruments a little bit more, to allow for larger holes without breaking up the panel, to enable trying out those beautiful wire rings.

So, thanks for insisting that it really can be done!

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Panels & instruments to download-miles-magister-panel-4.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 04-20-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
...Then you could add thin (ca 0.25mm) wire in the cutout itself (not on top of it).

That way, the circular cut-out would help forming the wire, and position it firmly, resting on the underlying transparency.....
Excellent Leif. A logical "next generation" progression from my original panel. In fact, thinking about how I might used these "Czech Instruments" in a future project, after I laid them out in the base panel, I would print that in high resolution on glossy photo paper. I think that would preserve the high fidelity of the images, and the gloss paper might obviate the need to apply a layer of clear plastic. Could be useful for the smaller scales. Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
So, thanks for insisting that it really can be done!
Don't thank me, I had the fullest confidence that you would find it a good starting place for something better.....

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 04-20-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Very nice Leif. When i get round to building something requiring this level of detail, i will certainly refer to your method {and Mike's similarly} Great ideas
Google Adsense