PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Actually, SteveO, they can, sometimes you have to add a little weight and like I said, you really have to get an airfoil shape into the wing. If you follow what i said, they will fly. It will be a rather fast flight though, as the wings are short and the stall speed is high. Think of it as a dart that you can make do long sweeping curves. It won't glide like a Guillows balsa plane, which actually fly really darn good.

I imagine scaling them up would make for slower, more graceful flights, though I know one of these guys hates if you alter his planes whatsoever, though I can't remember which one it is.
I support his idea and Zathros comment but still need the video by Ojimak.

Please make one my friend.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
32 metres? It depends on how high you throw by hand or do a slingshot. You know, the first Ojimak plane I did was his F2A which took me about 2 days to complete. Then I shot it out on the 17th floor of a building. It did a 360 degree loop and glided, spiralling a large circle down and landed on a tree top some 1 minute and 30 seconds later. I didn't enlarge it but just printed it out on A4 80g paper. It just flew and glided unexpectedly well. That was awesome. I was asked why should I let my 2-day work go in just about one and half minute? I said that was the point and I was having fun watching it flew freely, some sort of real freedom, instead of allowing it to sit idle on a shelf collecting dust. That's why I just love Ojimak planes, almost 90% fly well as expected. The only less flyable ones are the Fiat and the Alpha Jet. If you asked Ojimak, he would reply giving you hints to fly them correctly. Last year, I built some 80 Ojimak planes and gave them away for a behavoural art show with the instruction that all attending should throw the planes at the same time. But no one would throw it off as part of the show. The reason they gave is that they just loved the paperplane so much that they wouldn't like to do any harm to damage it!!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 AM

Dear papermate,

Your answer is quite interesting and made me feel impressive over his work.

Probably, due to the language barrier that bar me and him to see the paper aircrafts performance so I think he should post some work for public audience then such this question will no further arise.

Please Ojimak.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
I believe you've already seen his videos of flying B-2 and YB-49?

YouTube - ojimak01's Channel

I built his F-22 in february and it glided quite well indoors... until it hit a wall. I once did some flight trials outdoors but there was too much wind. That and the ballast had detached after too many encounters with walls. :D
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
T-45 no-crease

And an Ojimak built without creasing all the lines. It still goes together fine and looks great.

Ojimak-t-45ojimak.jpg

I may use this next week - first flight postponed until then or after.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM

I wish that your guy might viewed this vid.

This is one one my sample video, I estimated it flew around 22-25 meter in a trial test.

YouTube - F-16 Fighting Falcon paper plane tested by Chaiwatkom
Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
It won't hurt to build other peoples works, Chaiwat. In fact, it can improve your own building skills!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Yeah, I couldn't agree with legion more. Apart from Ojimak, there's another much neglected designer Yuki, here at FREE Paper Planes - Yuki's Flying Cardmodels His or her planes, only three sa far, are also capable of flying long flights. In particular, it's the British Red Arrow which is a real flyer - easy to construct and flies beautifully and won't disappoint anyone. Give it try!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermate View Post
Yeah, I couldn't agree with legion more. Apart from Ojimak, there's another much neglected designer Yuki, here at FREE Paper Planes - Yuki's Flying Cardmodels His or her planes, only three sa far, are also capable of flying long flights. In particular, it's the British Red Arrow which is a real flyer - easy to construct and flies beautifully and won't disappoint anyone. Give it try!
Thanks for both of your guys and your kind introduction. Yuki's work is beautiful and very interesting.

Of course, I would like to build other people's work and very happy to did that. Many times, I made them then my friend took them for their personal purposes. Defenitely, I did them for souvenir.

For my own works, there are thousand of works awaiting for my development, including my book. Thank you for your kind advice and introduction of the webpage. But for my persoanl opinion, I still love my curvy paper aircraft style instead of the boxy style. :D
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 AM

Hi,
I can't make head or tail of Ojimak's website. Anyone know what language it is in and I will have a go at translating it.
I also tried to download some of his planes, but had no luck there either. Since I appear to be as thick as a brick, perhaps one of you more gifted than me, might lead me around by the nose and explain whatever I am doing wrong - Please.
Years ago, I used to build catapult gliders out of balsa with solid fuselages just like Ojimak's models in paper.
I used to make a profile of the hull of the jet in 2mm plywood and then glue thicker balsa either side and cut the notch in the underneath to take a curtain ring.
The wings I used hard thin balsa with the grain in the direction of the wings, away from the fuselage, so that if a plane crashed it had the strength of the balsa grain in the wings....NOT running parallel with the fuselage.
As long as the wings were dead flat and at right angles to the fuselage and tail, the performance, once launched was staggering.
Let me explain. I used a 1 meter length of Jelly Rubber or 2 feet, used in spear fishing, tied to a length of string about 10 metres or 22 feet long with the ring in the bottom.
I tied the jelly rubber to a stake I bashed into the ground with a hammer and hooked a model up to the ring, pulled back on the string to stretch the jelly rubber as far as I could and let go.
The planes took of like lightning, flew extremely fast and because I had arranged the wing tabs to give a little lift upwards, used to fly upwards like a lift. I had one model of an F-16 where I had the wing tabs on the tailplane linked to an elastic band, with slight tension on it.
When I launched the F-16 into the wind from the catapult the pressure of the wind over the wing surfaces kept the plane running horizontal to the ground for some distance (so it is important no one is in the path of a launched plane), but as soon as the pressure dropped, the plane would go straight up until it lost power and then would glide around and around until it came back to earth. Generally a flight would take 5 to 10 minutes.
Since weight is not a problem for a catapult glider, I varnished the balsa wings and fuselage of my models and I used to mark out wing surfaces and body panels, to give the models a bit of realism.
I kept a tube of rapid drying balsa glue on hand, to stick things back together quickly if a plane crashed heavily. I never had to wait more than a few minutes, to get a bashed up plane, back up into the air.
With a balsa model, put a pin tied to a length of cotton or string in the upper fuselage about half way down the front wing and weight the nose or tail so that the model hangs horizontal or at right angles to the string. That is the ideal balance point.
The weight in the nose acts like an engine, when the model is flying by trying to push the nose down, while the wings try to lift the nose up.
I built a model of the Holland Gnat with swept back wings which I painted red. When I hand launched it, it simply would not fly, it fluttered to the ground, but when I used my catapult, it flew like a bird and was easily one of my best models.
One warning however. I was too quick one day, setting up my stake in the ground (which happened to be a big screwdriver) and when I was pulling back on the string, the screwdriver jumped out of the ground and flew back at me and hit me between my legs, fortunately the handle end and not the pointy end, otherwise I probably would be wearing a dress now!!!
Should you have a go at these planes, make sure you have lots of free open space around you and some little helpers to run after the planes and bring them back for the next launch.
The average cost of a balsa catapult glider was $2.50, even for the bigger ones.
Too old, too many things now.
LOL
bigBenn
Google Adsense
Closed Thread