PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Michael, and others. Correct me if I've misread the Polish build thread you are referring to. I believe there is more than catches the eye at a first glimpse here. Very interesting.

Now, y'all go and read a Google translated version of that thread. Try to follow the sometimes very flowery language of the author (and commentators). Study the photos. Note particularly all the harsh criticism directed against the author by the builder for ill-fitting parts. Ponder about your own opinion of the quality of the build. See what you think about the spinner photos before and after. Could some painting really accomplish that much?

And watch for the surprise ending. Now, isn't that something up your alley, Ray (Texman)?

All in all, very entertaining. But not properly helpful if you want to build the model as downloaded, right?

Leif

PS. I learned one useful thing - ordinary (diluted) nail polish accomplishes the same thing as the much written about nitro cellulose varnish. Although it's probably only economic to use on Ray (Texman) size models...

PPS. There is actually a more regular build going on here (or Google translated), at the same Polish forum.

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-27-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Leif,
Most likely you read it correctly - there are several issues with the kit, but they can be overcome rather easily.
The biggest gripe against the kit that I saw are the markings on the fuselage.
In the first installmet, lettering was reversed: W2-Y was made into Y-2W on the other side. This was corrected later but now the roundels are not symmetrical on sides of the fuselage.
I'm waiting for third edition...
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Everybody, let's just be sure we're on the same page here - the first thread (with the "criticism") is somewhat of a joke thread, and all the criticism is friendly banter. Everbody knows that the builder actually isn't building the model at its stated scale, but in somewhat like Ray's (Texman's) usual scale. In this case, it turns out at the end that the builder has reduced the original 1/33 model to 1/125, just about a fourth of the original size.

But for the length of the whole thread, the builder, and the commentators, are treating the subject as if it was an ordinary build, and they complain about the effects of the "devastating macro lens" and keep reiterating that "in reality the discrepancies are not visible at all". Very good irony at times.

The yellow spinner shown as "before" and "after" painting is in reality a comparison between the 1/125 scale yellow spinner, and a Maly Modelarz yellow painted 1/33 scale, more than four times larger. This is all disclosed at the end, when a number of subassemblies of the 1/125 scale model is collected inside the 1/33 spinner.

I thought the whole thing was rather funny, and particularly so in the Google translated version. Much is then left to your imagination... but the photos of the model in the palm of the builder's hand and the number 1/125 at the end tells you all you need to know. Well done, I'd say.

So there really wasn't much of real criticism of the original model in that thread. Which isn't to say that the issues Michael points out aren't there.

I'm sorry if I contributed to the confusion.

Leif