PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" - A. G. Smith

On Friday I received my copy of Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" A Full-Color Paper Model of the Reconstruction at Plimoth Plantation by A. G. Smith. As discussed in this thread: Cut & Assemble the "Mayflower" - A. G. Smith, there wasn't a lot of information about the quality of the kit save some hearsay and some folks having seen the white beta builds. So here's a full review of the freshly unpacked kit.

I found a copy cheap (less than $10 shipped) on Amazon in used condition. It's beat up around the edges of the cover, obviously looked over a number of times, and certainly not in collectors' condition, but quite fine for building. The pages are a quite thick, measuring 0.009" on my caliper (a little thicker than my 110lb index stock), and glossy. The pages are 9x12, so I have to decide whether to build this from the book (some small parts may be difficult to build in the thick stock, and the glossiness doesn't look quite right), or find a way to scan and print the oversized pages (possibly with a slight scale reduction).

The kit contains 13 pages of text and diagrammed instructions, 14pages of parts, and 2 pages of shroud patterns.

There is a full hull framework to be built - it does *not* require laminating to heavier card, but instead uses a set of spacers between the ribs:

Then there are plenty of details in the parts pages (only a sample shown here):

The shroud templates:

And the sails, which are back-side colored:

The masts are designed to be folded hexagonally, with the mast partners and caps showing hex cutouts, but hopefully can be rolled round without too much notice (likely fixable in photoshop if scanned):

Finally a couple shots of the tail end of the instructions to show a bit of the detail that will be in the final build:

I've got a few projects on the table at the moment ahead of this build, but I expect to lay the keel in the next couple months. There will be a build thread of course.

There are a few more in the used list on Amazon if you want to get yours now...
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

The model looks and sounds to be ok. Scanning will be a tad awkward unless you have it done at an office with the adequate scanner. A good scanner will have no problem with the gloss image, and once you get it done, you will be able to scale her to what ever you desire. I like Galleons, and hope to build one of them one day - they have a certain appeal and charming to look at. Good luck and enjoy this when you get to build her.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
cModerator

Yea, I was thinking about disassembling the book (staple bound so it should be pretty easy) and having it scanned, but I need to confirm they can handle the full 12x18 sheets first. The last time I asked about scanning it was something like 25-35 cents a page, give or take, so it should be plenty affordable for the 8 plates.

Otherwise it will have to be one of those efforts where I scan 75% of a page, then the other 75% that includes the missing section from the first scan, and try to stitch them together in post... Difficult and drawn-out, but do-able.

But yes, the kit is an OK kit. It's easy to build - definitely a beginner to low-average model, but not overly simplified. The graphics are nice, nicer than the '89 Maly Modelarz version in my opinion, but the newer Maly versions made up in the lacking graphics and are obviously proper model kits. And then the Shipyard version, well, that's the Cadillac...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You can take the book and have it scanned at Fed Ex Express for .99 per page. They can print the oversized pages to any scale you want, too. Of course, you would need to laminate some of the parts, but that's no problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Forum Helper

I think if i was going to build one, this would certainly be the best starter for this type of Galleon - i could only ever dream of getting something to look and be as good as the epic build our Doris gave us here... i mean that is just mind blowing what a gift she has to perform what i call miracles !
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
You can take the book and have it scanned at Fed Ex Express for .99 per page. They can print the oversized pages to any scale you want, too. Of course, you would need to laminate some of the parts, but that's no problem.
99 cents a page? That'd cost more than the model did! As long as Office Max's scanners can handle the 12x18 page size (last time I asked them, I asked about tabloid and A3), they'll do it for a third that if I remember correctly. I think now that it's something like $1.95 for the first page, then 0.25 or 0.35 for each additional page, as long as it can go through the feeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
I think if i was going to build one, this would certainly be the best starter for this type of Galleon - i could only ever dream of getting something to look and be as good as the epic build our Doris gave us here... i mean that is just mind blowing what a gift she has to perform what i call miracles !
Well the Shipyard kit may be the Cadillac of kits, but Doris's scratchbuild work would be the custom hand-built one-off antique replica Rolls Royce lol. I can't even say that I'd want to be able to build at that level - I just flat out don't have that level of patience and dedication to the craft. I'd like to be able to build the Maly kit someday, but for today, this kit will do me nicely.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Forum Helper

I think we can be assured of a great finish in your most capable hands - Look forward to this one when you are all finished up on what you are doing now.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
FedEx is the most expensive place around here to get large size copies,
try a print company that serves architects, engineers, etc.
As I mentioned in other thread Plimoth Plantation sells a 4 sheet (16"x24")set of plans with a booklet that covers mast and spar sizes plus other details. The plans are drawn by William A. Baker the designer of the Mayflower II and show lots of detail that is not part of the kit. Complete rigging being one item not done on the kit.

George

Agree that Doris' work is upper part of upper 1% of modeling any where!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
cModerator

Thanks for chiming in again George. I'm going to see if I can make it by to see the Mayflower II at Plymouth in July while I'm in Boston visiting family. I haven't been there since I was a kid, and while I remember the rock, I can't recall the ship, though I know she's docked there. Maybe the giftshop will have copies of the plans.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Thanks! I've got some large scanning to do. I'll give Office Max a try.