PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 10-06-2014, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Thumbs up Acquisitions from across the ditch...

I've made a few acquisitions from the list that Planenut007 posted - leading by example, you know - and these have arrived in two loads over the last week or so...all are 1/33 unless otherwise stated...
A couple of oldies that should build up into nice retro models - I'm not sure that there would be a lot of point in tarting them up as there are now more recent and more detailed releases of both models...
These are both quite basic kits and one must continually remind oneself not to be taken in by nice cover artwork...the Beaufort has a basic interior but the Hampden is designed to be build with opaque glazings (if that's not oxymoronic)...
The Wellington is the same genre as the Hampden and Beaufort but has an interior and bomb bay detail on which to build further details. The Blenheim is quite nice and a good example of the sort of kits that bridge the gap between the older hand-designed models and the CAD-based masterpieces of today...it has an interior - quite detailed - but no bomb bay...
These two are typical of the current state of the art in preprinted paper models. The Halifax especially is very detailed (preview here: Handley Page Halifax 1:33, MM 2010.4-6 ) with a complete interior and very detailed bomb bays...
These are also from that bridging period of the late 90s and early 2000s - quite well detailed but lacking the weathering and detailing of the He-111 and Halifax...The Hawkeye was the first paper model that I came across when I was was researching details for the ID Models 1/32 Hawkeye I scored in an auction in 2008...
I like helicopters and the Mi-2 looks quite detailed although it seems that some touch up maybe needed in the cockpit as not all the bulkheads are coloured on both sides. The patrol boat should scale up nicely to 1/72 even though it is not actually the one I thought it was when i ordered it: I thought it was the similar ship with the big anti-shipping missile cans on the stern...never mind, it's still something a little different...
The Me-163 looks like a nice little model on only three pages and the SZCZE-2 is another aircraft rarely seen in model form in any scale...
Couldn't resist adding this beast to the stash...despite its size, it looks fairly simple, especially if you opt to button up the nose doors (which would be a shame as it comes with a loading ramp and 6x4 truck)...detailing these larger models is a lot easier now due to the wide range of accessories and parts available for the Revell and other recent 1/32 releases...
Google Adsense
Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Wow I think just about sums it up. Great choice of aircraft the Gigant must be huge.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
looks like a good selection.was a pity he had nothing on list i wanted
Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
You got some fun building projects ahead of you.

For the Gigant, you will definitely need to build it with an open mouth ( doors open ). This is such a huge plane and the interior is fully visible ( you can even add little LED lights inside ). Add hinges to allow you to open and close the doors?

Also, I would recommend detachable wings though ( for storage or transport ).

Have fun

Isaac
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Was thinking along the same lines, Isaac, re the wings: I haven't had a good look at the design yet to get an idea of what the best option may be but I like using interfitting tubes...The interior begs for additional detail but I think my first job will be to translate the instructions as the GPM kits don't seem to have the callouts that advise what card to use for laminating the load-bearing parts...
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 AM

More preparation for the paper model GB (my excuse and I'm sticking to it)...all are 1/33 in scale
Not sure that the colours are quite right on this but it has the retro feel of the 60s era big Revell builds so I love it...

These later Maly models are real gems...

I had to buy the Buffalo just to see how the undercarriage was done and very nicely too, i might say; the 109 was a freebie tossed in by the seller and it is very nicely printed as well...

I've always been into big guns and these 40mm were among the larger mounted by RAF aircraft...and large scale Sea Kings are few and far between in any medium...

A twofer offering two versions i.e. two kits in the 'box', of the Flettner 282, and, as an added bonus, you can buy this base for it from GPM...

This is currently winging its way to me now and I din't think that I could have one without the other...this will be the first laser cut kit I have purchased so am very keen to see what is inside the box and it MAY make an appear in the paper model GB...
Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 PM

...and from a slightly wider ditch...fresh in from Poland:

I 'had' to get this to go with the GPM Flettner FL-282 helicopter...it's the first time I've seen a laser cut paper model in the flesh and I am very keen to see who it goes...all the parts are just sitting there in the frame, only held by friction so you have to be very careful how toi handle it as once they are loose they stay that way...I ma worried that I might be tempted to get some more of these and try to build the rest of the ship...to make the postage worth while I also 'had' to get a couple of others...
These later (from about 2007 onwards) Maly Modelarz models are real gems...the Ark Royal will be upsized to 1/200...there is a set of brass gun barrels available for the Dreadnaught but I forgot to grab a set...
I'm been resisting getting into paper armour and vehicles because the default scale is 1/25 and I'm not sure if they will scale down that well to 1/32 or 1/35...
Old 11-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
...and from a slightly wider ditch...fresh in from Poland:

I 'had' to get this to go with the GPM Flettner FL-282 helicopter...it's the first time I've seen a laser cut paper model in the flesh and I am very keen to see who it goes...all the parts are just sitting there in the frame, only held by friction so you have to be very careful how toi handle it as once they are loose they stay that way...I ma worried that I might be tempted to get some more of these and try to build the rest of the ship...to make the postage worth while I also 'had' to get a couple of others...
These later (from about 2007 onwards) Maly Modelarz models are real gems...the Ark Royal will be upsized to 1/200...there is a set of brass gun barrels available for the Dreadnaught but I forgot to grab a set...
I'm been resisting getting into paper armour and vehicles because the default scale is 1/25 and I'm not sure if they will scale down that well to 1/32 or 1/35...
Ark royal looks interesting.i have the older maly version
Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 AM

I haven't seen the earlier version but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a computerised update as opposed to a new design - it doesn't look as polished as the Dreadnaught, and it is in the slightly old-school scale of 1/300 where new Maly Modelarz ships designs seem to be more in 1/200...
Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 AM

the ark royal i have from maly is the 1990 version also in 1;300
Google Adsense