PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Just Fiddling Around

Hi All,

After listening to CT and others going on about the Fiddlers's Green models I finally broke down and checked it out. I was so impressed that I just popped for the WWI disc and much to my delight was able to download the contents right to the old hard drive on the spot. Lots of goodies and some with variations of scale and different color schemes. I even got 3 freebies just for registering and logging on.

I downloaded the Gee Bee racer since I have a fondness for things that Jimmy Doolittle liked to race and Sikorskis' S 51 Helicopter. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it comes with no less than four different color schemes. Now I need to come up with a set of floats to add yet another version.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I like the models I got from Fiddlers Green so far. I will also say that the ME-109 really makes a great little model when you shrink it down to print on 4x6 inch index cards. I have the Bell UH1 Huey but have not built it yet, along with a number of others. The up side to these models is the fact that they are so easy, but still look good. They are not as detailed as some other models, but for what they are, they are great! I am glad that you ordered from them and I am sure that you will have a great time! I look forward to seeing some of your completed work!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I think my favorite thing about FG is how he sticks with how to build models. Pretty much all of them are designed around the same principals so if you can build one of them you can build all of them. He has some great artists too, thats for sure!
Chris
Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
And Chip makes sure we follow all his standards. No model gets accepted until he's built it himself.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Yippee for FG!!!!! I love the models Chip puts out. Especially ones from a certain designer in Arizona :D
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2009, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Hope you build some of those Jay, that's where I got hooked myself
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone need worry about me building any of them, the only question being which one to start with! They may be somewhat "soft " in some areas but for the most part they convey the shape and form of what they are supposed to represent.

I tried printing out the Gee Bee racer but for some reason my printer wants to make the red come out a tad bit dull, I suppose I will have to deal with that little issue. I have noticed it with the hull red on some ship models as well, so I don't think it is an issue with Chips' models. Some of the other ones that I printed out from his downloads came out with nice bright colors as they were supposed to. I think it just may be my printer or the color adjustment of the software.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to hear you are going to build some FGs, Jay. I think Chip and crew (including the redoubtable birder) have made a great contribution by providing such a large number of models of varying degrees of complexity. Some of the early hand-drawn models have their flaws, but even those have their charms.

Don
Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I thought of them years ago as fun and easy starter models, great for a first time builder. Built the whole racer series at subminiature scale, and pinned them to a board like an insect collection. Then I built the two Sikorsky Amphibians, S-39 and S-38 These are real works of art, with elegant construction and beautiful artwork. Simply a pleasure to build, and to hang from the ceiling. Truly hooked, now (and hoping for an S-42). Where else do you find a whole series of float- and seaplanes? Cheers, and happy Memorial Weekend.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Gee, it looks like I may have struck a chord here with several fans. I am way stoked by the WWI collection which includes a trio of floatie planes, soon to be on the bench. I am sure that one of my next purchases will be the Amphibians so I can add the two Sikorski designs you mentioned.

I was unable to resist the Gee Bee, even though I have the Rex perking along with the float built up and ready to mount, I just had to try my hand at the nifty looking little race plane. What is not to love? Proof that given enough horsepower and blade even a brick will fly.

I did add some engine detail and gussied up the prop a bit with some styrene as well as added the rigging with some stretched sprue. My first Fidders Green model is pretty much complete, it just lacks a few coats of gloss to shine it up a bit.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend so I can come in from the salt mines tomorrow and see a whole raft of new pictures and threads to enjoy. Have fun and be safe.
Google Adsense