PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models

Here's some shots of the beta build for Murph's Models ATR models. I currently know that there will be an ATR 42 in DHL's yellow/orange paint scheme, the French version shown here, and ATR 72s in American Eagle, Aurigny, and FedEx paint schemes.

The model has separate tab pieces to join the major pieces together. As usually with Murph's Models, all the panel lines and lettering all line up perfectly. Wish my model designs would do the same. It also includes 4 bulkheads to give it a very distinctive oval fuselage cross section. There's a small cut out section at the top of the fuselage to allow the wing spar to pass through. The wheel well section takes some time to get the curves worked out right but once built it fits to the fuselage perfectly. I'm going to cut out the landing gear bay in the next model I make to see how that works out. Although I haven't added the engines yet (forgot to take that sheet with me on the road this week), I would recommend putting a little weight in the nose if you are planning on displaying it on it's landing gear to prevent it from being a tail sitter. I still need to finish up the engines, landing gear, and find a clear plastic bubble for the tail cone.

The full size model scales out to be about 1/56 scale. The model in these photos was built full size which gives it a wingspan of 43.3 cm. The kit has 8 pages of parts, and one page of instructions. I going to shrink all the other paint schemes by 78% to make the model 1/72 scale to better fit in with the rest of my airline models.

I only found two flaws in this (beta) kit, the passenger windows need to be more square shaped than oval, and the pitot and static port warning area on the nose should be outlined in red, not black. This particular model also has a few of the colors wrong according to my research. I'm going to build another one with corrected colors this next week and will post photos when finished to show the differences.

There's a lot of ATR's flying in the world today with lots of colorful paint schemes. Lots of different models to keep the repainters busy. This model should fill a much neglected part of the modeling world, the hard working turboprop airliner.

Hope to see a DHC Dash 8 soon . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2032.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2035.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2038.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2039.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-2675418.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Very nice. Can't wit till it's available, put me down for several.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Very nice build knife. Another great model from murph.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 12-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
yes please if someone wants to do it
Attached Thumbnails
ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-1008735.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Maybe another "Murph's recolour contest"?

Gary

Design Group Alpha
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.72 GB
nice to see an ATR modell in murph's title...seems am promotional ATR model of the builders page
ATR Aircraft

Old 12-29-2015, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentuenhar View Post
nice to see an ATR modell in murph's title...seems am promotional ATR model of the builders page
ATR Aircraft

Found another link.
ATR Aircraft
But this link seems really old for some reason....... I hope to get Aaron's ATR soon!!!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:35 PM

I finished up the first ATR. I added a strobe unit to the back of the fuselage, and used a hot glue gun to form a clear dome over the unit. The instructions of where to mount the landing gear to the fuselage wasn't to clear so I made a best guess and trimmed to fit. Since I didn't add weight to the nose I made a tail stand out of a Q-Tip shaft (the real aircraft also has a tail stand).

I built up a subframe for the vertical tail, since I find that it's a weak point for this style of aircraft after a few months of storage.

I'm almost done with the first ATR 72, and part fit is good. Only need to fix one small paint problem (which I will send to Murph) and this model should be ready to go. It is built at 1/72 scale, and I modified the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2113.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2114.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2110.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2102.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2117.jpg  

Old 01-01-2016, 03:27 PM

Great work knife, I love the strobe unit. Nice framing for the V stabilizer. Aaron should incorporate that into the kit.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
Old 01-01-2016, 06:31 PM

Next model will have the landing gear bays opened up.
Attached Thumbnails
ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2123.jpg   ATR-42 and ATR-72 from Murph's Models-img_2121.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
model, models, paint, fuselage, section, schemes, gear, murphs, atr, landing, perfectly, engines, built, full, colors, oval, cut, make, lots, tail, beta, nose, photos, build, scale