PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Russian ISU-122

Well it came! The ISU-122 self-propelled Howitzer from the Papermodelstore [Fantastic place!] I received this model earlier than I had presumed.

The model was printed in 2005, I believe somewhere in November, provided by the card model publishing company Modelik. The ISU-122 is in 1:25 scale. The sheets are printed on A3 paper, and the finished model is 349 mm. [I'm presuming it's length. About 34-35cm.] The model sports:

- 13 pages of parts
- 3 pages of instructions
- 2 pages of formers [Still within the 13 pages of parts]
- Instructions and background information are in Polish.

This ISU-122 has a color scheme which seems to be Medium Green. There's an absence of weathering on the armor, otherwise, only the tracks have some shading. The graphics however, are very crisp, and bold. The print definitely reflects great hues.

As for the model, it comes with two different tracks, linked and band. [I'm gonna give a whack at the linked ones.] Just like the ISU-152 [Which Modelik also has a model], the ISU-122 has shares the same chassis, but only differs in the gun it sports.

My thoughts on the model... Well, I personally love it. Since Modelik provides English instructions for the ISU-122, it'll be no problem getting around the language barrier. As always, the Modelik diagrams preety much speak for themselves, they are easily read and labeled. The graphics look fantastic and I expect no less from the Modelik kits. As always, I'll be having trouble with the formers, but it seems getting the turret in shape will be tough.

I plan to put this one next to my ISU-152 after I think about starting this.
I'm not great on scanning, so I'll be waiting for an opportunity when I muster enough courage and punches to start on this massive vehicle.
I actually think I'll wait until I get the lasercut formers, as I am not too sharp with a hobby knife. And scissors don't exactly make the cut. [Unintended puns]

- I'll have pictures up in the morning. -

Last edited by The Orange; 06-16-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
There was a build of Modelik's ISU-152 on another forum - it was so good it was saved as a .pdf. I've got it on CD (somewhere) - if you send me an e-mail address by PM I'll send you a copy.

For 1mm frames a snap off knife is better than a #11 blade - easier to cut straight and a lot cheaper.

Are you going to the interior?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Sorry....meant

Are you going to build the interior?

The green colour was officially known as "4B0" - not all Russian armour was painted in 4B0 but by the end of the war (the ISUs appeared in 1944) most were.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 06-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
CharlieC: In regards to that ISU-152 build, I believe you are talking about the one on Kartonbau? And I believe I also saw it on papermodels.pl. Fantastic build, I can access it by the internet, however, I think a pdf of it will be extremely helpful. Thank you!

As for the snap off knife, I did not know that! I've been using #11 blades and scissors. I'll get a new knife sometime this week, but I believe I saw 4 others in the shed... Yes, I'll be constructing the interior.

-Seems like I can't edit my posts, ah well. Pictures for the ISU-122 -
[Please forgive me for the under-quality pictures, I've already made plans to purchase a better camera this weekend]

Look at those tracks...hidden beauty in a horror....

Since I can't edit the first post in this thread -
Sorry for misinforming, the model is actually 394 mm [39.4 cm], not 349 mm. It was late at night when I posted, so I mixed with the numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Russian ISU-122-100_3641.jpg   Russian ISU-122-100_3646.jpg   Russian ISU-122-100_3647.jpg   Russian ISU-122-100_3651.jpg   Russian ISU-122-100_3654.jpg  

Last edited by The Orange; 06-16-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Refer to first post -