PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating conversation. I would never have noticed it myself, but David's comment about the illuminated bridge makes complete sense to me..

It's always nice to see posts from you, David. I am very glad to hear that you have ordered this model set and hope that it means you are able to build paper ship models again.

Don
Old 05-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
Bridge... oh, yes.

The cover painting shows the Andrea Doria all lit up, including the bridge windows. You wouldn't illuminate the bridge interior at night, because the light would bounce off the glass like a mirror so you couldn't see out the windows. Recall the Pepper's Ghost effect.

(So maybe that's why the bridge crew didn't see the Stockholm until it was too late...) ;-)

David T. Okamura
take the prize
i didnt spot it either but it made perfect sense when pointed out to me by member of other forum.Mayby as you said it might have been lit up.Have not seen detailed accident report
Old 05-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
It's the same reason airliner cockpits are dark during night flights, though the rest of the plane is lit. Even before cockpit bulkheads and doors, you had a curtain to keep cabin light from entering the pilot section.

Don, thanks for your kind comments. It's been a long "dry period" while taking care of my parents and handling their final matters (Mom passed away nearly two years ago), but in recent weeks I've been busy building other paper models. More on this soon...

David T. Okamura
Old 05-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Thanks, Herky, but I was just joking about the bridge lights being on. Nothing in the accident reports mentioned this.

There's a good account published decades ago by Alvin Moscow called "Collision Course". I still have Mom's Reader's Digest condensed book series with that one included (1959).

David T. Okamura
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dto View Post
Thanks, Herky, but I was just joking about the bridge lights being on. Nothing in the accident reports mentioned this.

There's a good account published decades ago by Alvin Moscow called "Collision Course". I still have Mom's Reader's Digest condensed book series with that one included (1959).

David T. Okamura
yes i have read this also now.the artist simply wanted to create stunning cover for the model and this he suceeded The comments came on a shipping rather than modelling site and they have rivet counters on there also .On there they never even got past the cover lol

Last edited by herky; 05-16-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add ons
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2018, 03:34 PM

this is going to be model for skilled builder at this scale.heaps of small parts for a challenge