PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Kit Reviews > Freshly Unpacked

Old 11-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Space Racers Paper Rockets

My wife Kathy remembered my birthday this year by gifting me a copy of Space Racers, Make Your Own Paper Rockets. As I haven’t seen a mention or a review of this interesting collection of paper models, I thought I’d present a brief description for the rocketeers among us.

Measuring 13” X 9 ½”, the heavy and beautifully produced, star-spangled box contains three books, Rocket Fact Files, Instructions and Rocket Models. The attached photographs show just a taste of the information contained in the three book’s combined 144 pages. A pair of close-up photographs of the box’s back cover reveal the identity of the ten enclosed rockets as well as information concerning the publisher, etc. No scales are given for the models and because of this, it is doubtful that they will build to a constant scale.

The model’s clearly printed parts are both die-cut and die-scored, making for an easier build for the novice modeler. I feel that the weight of the cardstock is a bit light, especially considering that the Saturn V measures nearly two feet tall when completed. More experienced modelers could find a workaround to the thin card by scanning the parts onto heavier stock.

I usually keep this kind of model compendium intact, and because of that, I haven’t actually built any of the rocket models so I can’t comment on the kit’s fit and finish. Also, I’m generally not a fan of building with die-cut parts. My prejudice comes from the days when hand-drawn model parts and hand-made cutting dies never seemed to line up properly. But in this computer age, the matching of the CAD artwork to the CNC created dies solves all manner of fit problems. With these models, the registration of the drawings and die-cuts and scores looks spot-on throughout the parts book.

Strong presentation, good color, large scale and varied subject matter make this an interesting addition to my paper model collection. Kathy bought my copy off-the-shelf at Duluth Trading, but Space Racers is available from a number of sources on the web.

All for now,

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1927.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1928.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1964.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1967.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1935.jpg  

Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1940.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1943.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1932.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1951.jpg   Space Racers Paper Rockets-img_1948.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great review and good info!

Many thanks.

Don
Old 11-15-2018, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Don. Thanks for your comments. It's always nice to receive a paper model as a gift, isn't it?

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog