PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 12-18-2010, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Even when the club I used to attend held the district IPMS show, there were only 3-4 paper modelers competing. But then again, we were lumped into a 'Misc other than Plastic' category which could include vacuform, balsa wood and even wood models. Then the next problem that presented itself was a bunch of judges who clearly weren't capable of judging anything other than plastic. So it seems to me, that in order for those who build paper models to be included openly in IPMS competitions, there is going to have to be a concerted effort to change the way that current judges are trained. I have seen the way my former club did it, and it wasn't pretty...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Actually there are a group of four people working on just such a base set of rules to be given to IPMS judges to help them understand papers strengths and weakness's. It should it well with the current IPMS rules so as to not be a huge leap for anyone.

As I noted above I also have buy in to have someone more familiar with paper act as a judge or assistant to the judges to help proper judging of paper.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
As I noted above I also have buy in to have someone more familiar with paper act as a judge or assistant to the judges to help proper judging of paper.
In my region, that would be a stretch because I am one of only a handful who even build paper models. We also have some resistant to change and I found the voting at our last event to be absolutely dreadful.

On a separate note, how does one even report voting irregularities to the IPMS USA?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Design Admin

well thats hard to say but I can ask Dick and let you know. However if this is just in regards to how paper and other non plastic materials get judged I dont know how much a footing we will have.
Chris
Old 12-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Chris,
I was never a fan of being affiliated with IPMS. It's like mixing
oil and water. I don't believe paper modelers will have an equal
footing when it comes to their contests and judging as others
have noted. Some have tried to make inroads and have not been
successful. It's just my opinion for what it's worth.....Ron
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Ron

You are right to a point. IPMS does not need us. We need them. They allready have the chapters, shows, contest etc. that is worldwide. The paper business is mostly eastern Europe and Germany. The rest of us are relatively rare especially in the US. So the thing to do is to use their resources and show them that we care about modeling in a different medium ( paper ).

So far for the past 5 years, I entered and displayed my paper models at all the local IPMS contest with great acceptance.

So keep the oil and water mixed. It will work

Cheers

Isaac

Last edited by Isaac; 12-18-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
OK, I'm coming to this discussion late, but I'll chime in anyway. Let me start with a bit of my own history--

My first exposure to paper models was at a monthly meeting of the IPMS chapter in Orange County, CA. A member named David Okamura had shown up with his build of Martin Sanger's U.S.S. Stargazer. Two things popped into my head as soon as I saw it, first, the possibility of creating models that had never been offered in a kit in plastic or resin, and second, NO PAINTING!

Even though it took me a few years to make the change from plastic to paper, I still credit my involvement with IPMS in helping me to find an aspect of modeling that I have found very rewarding. I think it did help that that IPMS Chapter includes as members David Okamura, Bob Penikas, and a few other excellent paper modelers, but I've never encountered any negativity on behalf of the membership toward our chosen medium. In fact, this chapter includes a regular paper category in its contests and at the last meeting I attended, I took examples of some of the models I've designed and had very favorable comments from most of the plastic devotees.

Yes, there will always be those rude few that feel the need to criticize us for not fitting into their ideal (ever heard an armor modeler refer to a car model as a "Target"?) and they can be a real pain in the arse, but nothing will ever change unless we keep showing up.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Design Admin

I disagree - IPMS DOES need us. We offer a fresh perspective on scale modeling. Something many most likely never saw before and could recharge some interest overall in modeling. Just my opinion.

Also its not like we dont have paper modelers that feel the same way about plastic as some of them do about paper.... its a two way street. I dont think we are like oil and water - maybe 5w30 and synthetic blend oils, same end result of lubricating the engine but not the same either! heh heh

I think I have been doing all right with my inroads so far and have really gotten very little resistance since I am not approaching it as "we make models so you have to include us" but rather "I think paper models can fit into your current framework and here is how we can do it"

Thanks for sharing the history there pdm you certainly have some great modelers as role models there!
Chris
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Maybe you have a point. BUT.......

the P in IPMS stands for Plastic not Paper. So until the IPMS changes its name or charter to include all form of scale modeling, the paper medium is just a side show for them.

For me, I love plastic as much as paper. Because both are modeling. I also love Vacuform and wood and resin, so the name is meaningless to me. We all have our common passions, but love the modeling.

So back to my original point. IPMS is a Plastic based society. Our job is to help them broaden their horizon ( which we are doing ) and maybe include us directly as apposed to a side show ( sounds like we need a constitutional amendment).

Cheers

Isaac
Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Design Admin

Also the M stands for modeling so they are also a modeling based society. The only way we can not be a side show - which is what I am trying to accomplish can only be done over the long haul with consistent participation and education.

I doubt we will ever be fully accepted in my lifetime which is just fine.