PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
We might do it a little different down here, Mike, but I don't see why not so long as the actual ownership is quite clear...I took a bunch of models to Scale Model Expo 07 for a guy who couldn't make it himself but who wanted to contribute...he wasn't interested in entering any of the competitions although he would have done OK if he had but just wanted to display some of his builds...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
How do you find out if there is a chapter in your area?

Lots of hobbists here in Alaska. There might be a chapter, just don't know how to go about finding it.

On second thought a quick google search brought up the Anchorage chapter. Website hasn't been updated since 2004, there was an email link-so I did.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
We might do it a little different down here, Mike, but I don't see why not so long as the actual ownership is quite clear...I took a bunch of models to Scale Model Expo 07 for a guy who couldn't make it himself but who wanted to contribute...he wasn't interested in entering any of the competitions although he would have done OK if he had but just wanted to display some of his builds...
There would be no chance of my being in a position to enter any competition! I have about half a dozen part-built aircraft from over the years, and I once finished an OO-gauge tram for my father, many years ago. But I have negotiated a part-time deal with my work for 2011, and one of the things I want to achieve in my free time is to at least complete a model. My son will soon be old enough to start taking an interest in modelling, so I want to get my hand in soon. I could also offer a few spare models from my stash, to be given out as tempters or prizes (if that sort of thing is allowed.)
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Why don't we push for the P in IPMS to stand for Prototype

because in a sense that is what we build

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up Bring it to a vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Why don't we push for the P in IPMS to stand for Prototype

because in a sense that is what we build

Rick

Yes, that was my suggestion. either drop the P altogether, or have it stand for something else. Sort of like the CAF which stood for the Confederate Air Force ( the air museum in Texas if you recall ). They kept the C in CAF, but changed it to Commemorative, so it is still the CAF.

Bottom line is that it needs to come up officially to the IPMS board if they are going to be the "big tent" modeling society.

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I dont think we are in a position to push anything until we have consistent participation across the board. I am happy with acceptance for the time being.
Chris
Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
maybe in the long,long,long run it will be realised that it is divisive to have the p in there, but plastic modelling is the major element of the society so let's stick with it for now, and build up a presence within the society.

In roads are being made slowly but surely but it's models on the tables that counts to start with.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Evolution not revolution...

is how things will change in this arena. As noted, the 'P' is no longer a restriction but more a nod to the past (aka 'tradition'.) Lets face it, many modelers are always looking for better ways to build and have more fun - regardless of media. I myself like the idea of the 'P' morphing into 'Precision' - I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a fashion model if only "IMS" was used... Not that would *ever* happen!

RE: the Q about proxy attendance at convention competitions - any IPMS member can enter their models via a proxy if they wish. There are many 'foreign' members of IPMS-USA (for example) who cannot afford to attend but they compete through friends by shipping their work to the convention. It is about authoring the work, not who delivers it (which is why pre-painted die-cast models are reasonably not allowed to compete...)

A lot of talk about the competition aspect of the Society, but really the IPMS, like any other (including this forum), is, or *should be*, about the sharing and camaraderie
of a group with a shared interest. Craftsmanship and ingenuity are appreciated whether the modeler uses paper or (as we love to rib our pal Ben Guenther) "chewing gum & twine". Within IPMS, there is a learning curve with any new 'format' as the group wrestles with the competition question, same as "vacuform" & "scratchbuilt" models became judged as being inherently different from building an injection molded plastic kit and therefore belong in a separate 'class'. So it must be with the paper-based model. I would hope it is obvious that the greater the 'presence', the greater the rate of awareness & action to accommodate. Hence, the need for greater numbers of 'pulpers' to 'storm the gates'. Having a consensus about standards and a consolidated culture helps get over that initial resistance that comes with any change. (Good thing we have this forum!)

So, if change is coming, and enough folks think it would be worthwhile to expend the effort, expect the motivation to come from within the paper modeling community - not IPMS. I suspect everyone might be just fine going down separate tracks just as it is now. It does work, right? However, being in both camps (so to speak), I personally think both have a lot to learn and enjoy from each other - I know I have! This is my prayer & hope, that both groups will see modeling as modeling and have bigger, broader horizons for that perspective. We can stay in our comfort zones or we can strive to reach beyond, either is fine in my estimation. Some folks like their hobby *niche* exactly because it makes them happy and see change as a bother. Others, being forever dissatisfied with the current state of affairs, are always agitating for something else. In truth, both viewpoints are valid since it is a personal choice where we take our hobby. If enough of us align to the same "path", then things will happen.

At some point, discussion will be done and action will be required. There are no real obstacles other than self-made ones - so if you want it, do it! Win a trophy, educate a 'plastic' modeler.

As always,
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by piginapoke View Post
maybe in the long,long,long run it will be realised that it is divisive to have the p in there, but plastic modelling is the major element of the society so let's stick with it for now, and build up a presence within the society.

In roads are being made slowly but surely but it's models on the tables that counts to start with.
BTW, some say the "P" stands for "plane" modeling since aircraft subjects seem to (well, *do*) dominate the hobby. Something that paper modelers have over kit building is a far greater choice of subjects.
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale