PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
IPMS participation

We have a couple different efforts underway right now. I have been chatting with Dick over at IPMS USA and he thinks we are going about being accepted into IPMS very well.

We agree we are only lacking on one key point. Clear and consistent participation in events and shows.

Bill Perry tried hard as heck to get some participation in one of the shows he went too and I think had pretty much no other participation besides his entries. This is something we need to overcome if we want to be accepted as an official category with real judging standards etc etc.

I am hoping that people on here that have shows in their area will try to promote them here if they plan on going. I know many people here generally arent really into IPMS as us being part of it is a newish concept. If someone KNOWS they will go, I will sponsor a trophy best card model in show.

For now we will need to enter in the MISC category OR the Genre category for the model if preferred/required.

I offered up one thing that they really liked which was having a paper modeler either ON the judging panel if qualified OR as a judging consultant for paper models to help educate the judges and or other participants on the inherent strengths and weakness's of our craft that should be examined for scoring.

If interested - give a shout!
Chris
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
From an all the way down under perspective, I will have some paper models at the Scale Models Expo in Wellington, New Zealand in August 2011 and I challenge other Kiwi or West New Zealand (Australia) modellers who can make it to do the same...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I never had any issues in entering and competing and placing my paper models at local IPMS contests.

For sure you can not compete in the regular categories agains plastic. We need our own categories to participate in. The issue is that other than one or two contestents, no one else submits paper models.

However, for the IPMS national convention, you will get more folks participating. I think that venue must be explored further. This should not be looked as a competitor to the paper national convention, but as a suplement

Isaac

Last edited by Isaac; 12-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Design Admin

Good challenge there SJP

Isaac - you hit on the problem exactly... when we KNOW someone will be participating at a show we really need to get more people to aprticipate to get a real showing.

We will NEVER have our own paper categories until we have good participation levels on a consistent basis. We will be relegated to the misc category until that happens. We COULD get paper categories at specific shows if we have a proven track record with them.
Chris

p.s. I wonder if clubs would allow proxy entries.... hmmmmmm
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
Sign me up for training to be a judge!

I agree totally with presence at shows. We need to increase visibility and member participation.

Out of interest I'll be exhibiting at Birmingham IPMS in the UK under the FSPM banner.

Robin

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Design Admin

Great! Really to do teh training you need to be involved with the local ipms chapters and get to know them hopefully someday I will have the time.... :(
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
One thing that I do always always is to have as many as 10 of my models on display just for show ( not competing ). Talk to the IPMS contest coordinator ahead of time, or just show up with the models and see if they have extra space. This way you are advertizing the paper models. Since I do both, it was easy to weave in the paper models into a plastic contest. Another way I do is enter a load full of models in the Collection category. There is no limit on how many are in your collection as long as it makes sense. For example I had 6 Polish air force aircraft on display and got 2nd place out of 5 entries.

Here are some pics of the October Cincinnati contest. I entered in both the Collections and the Conversions, other, mods categories.

2010 Cincy IPMS Show Pictures - Aircraft Part 2

Also, join your local IPMS club and every meeting bring a handful of paper models to the monthly meetings.

Isaac
Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
I think the lack of participation reflects the geography rather then interest level. We are scattered far and wide...North American builders are probably not even in the majority on this forum. I am near Philly, and try to attend local shows as I am able. I have gone to MosquitoCon three out of the past four years. If others would like to go along this year, we could maybe even arrange a road trip of sorts. I'm to the southwest of where the show is held, and I know there are a lot of modelers in the vicinity of York. Heck, my girlfriend lives in York, maybe I could persuade her to come along and maybe pick up some others on the way. :D I also know that in past years there has been a show somewhere around York, I forget where, might be north. I don't know if it's still running.

Anyways, back to my original point, I think that the modelers at least on this forum are too scattered (York residents aside) to really make a consistent showing at more then one or two shows.

Although my last experience, at JerseyCon, was quite unpleasant. It was coordinated by the same people who do the MosquitoCon and Martin and the gang do a great job. But there was a particular judge at JerseyCon (I wish I had his name to make a formal complaint) who treated me and my father with utter contempt. In short, he was a real dickhead. I was quite put off the whole thing, but if other paper modelers were interested in going, I'd make the trip.

[email protected]
Old 12-17-2010, 05:15 AM
Design Admin

Sorry to hear that Avery - unfortunately there are always some people that have unwavering beliefs in the medium they prefer :(

I dont think we will get more than 3-4 people at any given show. My goal here is to try and get a turnout of enough people/models to actually have judging for places not just one person with a model or three. This is what the judges and other participants should see to help open their eyes to our medium.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
From an all the way down under perspective, I will have some paper models at the Scale Models Expo in Wellington, New Zealand in August 2011 and I challenge other Kiwi or West New Zealand (Australia) modellers who can make it to do the same...
SJPONeill,

I doubt I will be able to make it up to Wellington in August (term starts in late July), but I would like to help out somehow if I can. I am neither a good nor a prolific modeller, but I have a big stash down in the cellar, and will have more time nex year than for the last couple.

Cheers,

Mike
Google Adsense