PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Fine Scale Paper Modelers > FSPM Lounge

Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Messing with IPMS

Many of you know that I'm in a modeling club (plastic) here in San Antonio. And many of you know that I just got appointed Vice-President of the club ... ironies of life. A paper guy in a world of plastic.

But not in vain. By having an official position, did not wait to apply my influence at the club.

I've given talks on role modeling locally. Now I have the opportunity to do it nation-wide.

How to get started? How about re-designing the newsletter?

IPMS clubs in the U.S. (International Society for Plastic Modellers, with global headquarters in England), have the habit of shared bulletins with each USA clubs. In this way they know each other, and there is even annual appointment for the "Club of the Year" and "The Newsletter of the Year". And it's there where I'll be getting more and more "paper", such as articles on paper modeling, paper kits, photos, etc...

Enough of words; I leave the link to download the new edition of the Squadron Alamo San Antonio, Texas club newsletter in PDF. Hope you like it.

http://alamosquadron.com/Newsletters...onJune2013.pdf

To see the previous newsletter format, you can see months before June 2013, and see the difference.

Club Newsletters

And not to brag, but to promote the paper modeling and give ideas to other paper modelers brethren.
Attached Thumbnails
Messing with IPMS-alamo_june2013.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
I know what you mean Gerardo. I am the IPMS club contact for my club, and I too
enjoy messing with the plasties. Especially entering paper models in the plastic categories and taking first and second place awards, or even an occasional "Best of"!

Ain't it fun!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Great initiative and an enjoyable and informative newsletter...must get my A into G and do the same down here...
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Wow...I like very much.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Just got a minute to check the newsletter, very well done Gerardo!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Well done Gerardo! Your IPMS club's old newsletter format reminds me of the club newsletter from the IMPS culb I used to belong to in Albuquerque. Your new format is so much better.

Curt
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Way to go Gerardo!

You are doing the right thing, and hopefully some day we might see the "P" taken out of IPMS to reflect all scale model mediums. Also it just sounds better without the "PMS", IMS or ISMS would work. Although I am new to this group, I have been around for a good while and am a founding member of our IPMS affiliated club since 1985. VSM (Victoria Scale Modellers). Originally it was IPMS Victoria and after some time the Car guys split off and formed their own group called SPAM (Scale Plastic Automotive Modellers). We then changed to VMMS (Victoria Military Modellers Society). Then we got some car guys back, so we dropped the military and became VSM (Victoria Scale Modellers). Sorry for the long spiel, the point is, as I was president for some years and news letter editor, I managed to convince the club we would accept all types of scale modelling in all mediums. Not just at our club, but also at our contests. We live in a very diverse world now and I am pleased that 0% plastic is acceptable with us. years ago I came to a meeting with a Wilhelmshavener 1/50 Piaseki H-21 helicopter, the guys were a bit freaked out when I asked them to handle it and they found out it was paper. I have slacked off in my paper modeling of late and am fixin' to show up with a 1/33 A. Halinsky D3A1 Val. I'll be sure to post it when I'm done, I'm spoiling myself with laser cut frames as well. So cudos go to you and your efforts to get the paper to the masses. Sort of like Paul Revere.......the paper is coming the paper is coming!

p.s. we Canadians and British use 2 l's in modeller, I'm not a bad speller

Good luck and all the best.
Regards,
Jeff

What do you think Linda?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Subverting the enemy from the inside, classic!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

I looked just now. This is a first class newsletter and shows your chapter is well into the digital age! Very well done!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB17 View Post
You are doing the right thing, and hopefully some day we might see the "P" taken out of IPMS to reflect all scale model mediums. Also it just sounds better without the "PMS", IMS or ISMS would work. Although I am new to this group, I have been around for a good while and am a founding member of our IPMS affiliated club since 1985. VSM (Victoria Scale Modellers). Originally it was IPMS Victoria and after some time the Car guys split off and formed their own group called SPAM (Scale Plastic Automotive Modellers). We then changed to VMMS (Victoria Military Modellers Society). Then we got some car guys back, so we dropped the military and became VSM (Victoria Scale Modellers). Sorry for the long spiel, the point is, as I was president for some years and news letter editor, I managed to convince the club we would accept all types of scale modelling in all mediums. Not just at our club, but also at our contests. We live in a very diverse world now and I am pleased that 0% plastic is acceptable with us. years ago I came to a meeting with a Wilhelmshavener 1/50 Piaseki H-21 helicopter, the guys were a bit freaked out when I asked them to handle it and they found out it was paper. I have slacked off in my paper modeling of late and am fixin' to show up with a 1/33 A. Halinsky D3A1 Val. I'll be sure to post it when I'm done, I'm spoiling myself with laser cut frames as well. So cudos go to you and your efforts to get the paper to the masses. Sort of like Paul Revere.......the paper is coming the paper is coming!

p.s. we Canadians and British use 2 l's in modeller, I'm not a bad speller

Good luck and all the best.
Regards,
Jeff

What do you think Linda?
Hi Jeff,

Yesterday I also was imagining the "P" for plastic going away in the future. IMS makes a lot of sense, given that IPMS welcomes models in plastic, metal, resin and increasingly paper. Those who show up with a wooden ship model are also welcomed. Like car modelers, paper modelers face a challenge of promoting their hobby over here. The paper/card hobby is much stronger in Europe including the countries of the former Soviet Union. I think Gerardo's waving of the flag is a good sign and something to look forward to.

Paul
Google Adsense