PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
Open Source Models

Hello All,
I have 2 ambitions I'd like to combine and maybe people here could help.

I'd like to have a model of the USS Texas ("old hoodo") that includes interior detail
that is, the hull would be built of frames, as on the original
its a relatively small ship and should be doable.

I've corresponded with one of the authors of the recent book on the ship and found a side that offers great sets of plans.

"

This would be a pretty big project, which leads to my second idea.
That would be to publish plans for paper model "open source", which would not necessarily mean they were free, it would mean that the source drawings would be available

so my models are drawn in corel draw... as well as the model itself, then i would make the corel draw drawings available

you could use the same licensing scheme's that open source software uses
some free for private use, but charge for public use
some cannot be incorporated into larger projects that are not also open source, etc

this would let different designers contribute to larger project and still protect their work in the way they wanted

it would work best if there was a site that had the means to contribute plans as open source and attach the different licenses, etc... which i have also been thinking about doing the programming for

any feedback welcome

ken tyler
Google Adsense
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
The design of the USS Texas was brought up a while back...maybe Darwin or Ryan can chime in.

USS Texas
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
I made a trip to the Texas (BB 35) a couple of years ago and sent a huge amount of detailed photos to D. If we are talking about the same ship, it is quite a complex ship, just from the touring of the exterior.... I don't quite get your notion that it is a "relatively small ship". Relative to what? the moon? . I did get the opportunity to tour a good deal of the interior that day as well (and can well remember the occaisional "barked shin"). While anything is "do-able" (relatively speaking), and your idea of a common design format shared among a team of designers is a good one, i'd respectfully suggest that you organize a smaller project at first.

Last edited by nebeltex; 05-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post
I made a trip to the Texas (BB 35) a couple of years ago and sent a huge amount of detailed photos to D. If we are talking about the same ship, it is quite a complex ship, just from the touring of the exterior.... I don't quite get your notion that it is a "relatively small ship". Relative to what? the moon? . I did get the opportunity to tour a good deal of the interior that day as well (and can well remember the occaisional "barked shin"). While anything is "do-able" (relatively speaking), and your idea of a common design format shared among a team of designers is a good one, i'd respectfully suggest that you organize a smaller project at first.
If you look at it compared to the Lexington - it is pretty small.

I've got a set of the ship's drawings, and somewhere I think I even have the CD that the ship had made with CAD drawings of the ship for maintenance and repair purposes, although it may be rather hard for me to find that CD now after having moved last year. I don't think it would be too hard to get them to give another copy.
As far as design of the model goes, it would seem to me that the best way to do an open source type of deal, would be to do a group project on Sketchup, or some other program. Someone could be working on the turrets and guns, while someone else worked on the hull, etc...

Ryan
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
You are correct R.... the Lex in CC is a fine ship (and Blue again?). I'm quite sure if anyone wants to help their "historical society", their efforts would be welcomed. Perhaps even by the engineering officer that is so kind to those whom he gives a tour.... past his lifetime. JG types aim to please. for a long time, Naval Aviators were/are the best BECAUSE of the presence of the Lex in the GoM, and even "Beeville".

Lofting the hull could be problematic... maybe doing the frames and "laser cutting" them could be the best approach. I am certainly willing to look at every opportunity that helps ANY effort for Naval preservation. Actually, this may best be described as "Honor".... honoring those whom have done their best by Naval service. If you are not "Naval", that is O.K. Maybe I am just trying to rationilize by own attempt to join my Navy... (aced the test 96 of 98 ASVAB), failed the physical (flat feet).

Last edited by nebeltex; 05-04-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Google Adsense