PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 07-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Thanks for the info about the FT 17. That led to this...
Renault FT - Tank Encyclopedia
...which then led to this...
Charron model 1905
Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Armoured cars don't count when you're talking about tanks.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yeah, well I did not write that an armored car was a tank.

There are armored cars on the LandshipsII site. Some of those very early vehicles with the turrets would make for some interesting models. It is nice to see the development of the characteristics that make up modern AFVs.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Yes, I know 9602 was a male MkV*. I needed to test build the female sponson as well as the male, so I made one of each. Also, the left male sponson is a bit different from the right one, but close enough for a beta.

The track links are similar to those in my Gun Carrier, but wider (26.5").
I included the small splice plates at joints and the usual disks and such as detail parts in the model, but did not put all of them on this beta.

I made the unditching beam rails as true "angles", L-shaped in cross-section. Each is made of two pieces, the top flange and the vertical web, which have to be glued together. The rail, when assembled, looks totally weird, but it fits well on the supports and hangers. When finished, it is surprisingly sturdy.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Confirm the Mark V* model goes together well. I should be finished mine in a couple of days (as in, it's all right until you get to the tracks).

Armoured car practice was used in the construction of the early tanks. For example, the processes for making thin armoured plate was worked out for armoured cars before the tanks were even designed. (WW1 armour used naval armour practice of carburising nickel steel rather than the later homogenous Cr/Ni/Mn alloy steels).

By the way - it's Renault FT - the additional 17 was added by English writers after WW1. French military historians have been conducting a long campaign to get rid of this inaccuracy. Even wikipedia has given up trying to push the FT-17 line.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 07-26-2018, 04:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.07 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
Again an excellent design Wayne.
Pretty sure there weren't any hermaphrodite MkV*, but this has saved the need for 2 prototype models...
There are images of at least 2 hermaphrodites. 9806 'Ajax' and one other, probably 9813, and a Mk V hermaphrodite are in a small film sequence which allows both sponsons to be seen. I've attached a couple of screen shots from the film. The last image is a well known photo showing these same three tanks taken just after the preceding film clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot029.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot030.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot031.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot032.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot033.png  

Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot034.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot035.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot036.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot038.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot040.png  

Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot044.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot045.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-screenshot049.png   Wayne McCullough's projects-mkvstar_hermaphrodite_happy-days_-_mkv_hermaphrodite_-_mkvstar_hermaphrodite_wd9806_ajax.jpg  
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 PM

My build of Wayne's Mark V* beta is pretty much finished. The tracks are a bit painful because they are longer than the Mark I - V tanks. Th exhaust pipe is a cheat - it's a piece of plastic electrical insulation with the braided wire pulled out and a piece of steel wire inserted and shaped. The insulation is painted - although not well in this case.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Wayne McCullough's projects-mark_v-_1.jpg   Wayne McCullough's projects-mark_v-_2.jpg   Wayne McCullough's projects-mark_v-_3.jpg   Wayne McCullough's projects-mark_v-_4.jpg   Wayne McCullough's projects-mark_v-_5.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 07-28-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
nice build I like the look of this tank
Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 PM

The Mark V* Male model is now on Landships II (Landships II). This models one of the tanks given to the US Army in France and was operated by the 301st Bn.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 07-31-2018, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
thank you charlieC most welcome
Google Adsense