PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 08-06-2016, 08:43 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistory View Post
Hello All:

I thought everyone might be interested to learn about a paper model club I will host at my school this coming year. I will be teaching students to use Inkscape and other design software to create paper models and downloadable kits. Below is a poster I am using to advertise. It shows a 1:12 room I made this summer in preparation for the program.

Brad
Possibility of a Field Trip to the IPMC in Sterling this October?

Great job, I hope you get a lot of interested students

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great idea! Here's wishing you every success and an incredible year.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 202.82 MB
Without doubt this should be a great club. Fifteen years ago I ran a plastic model making club in my school using 25 Russian helicopter kits that the local hobby shop sold me for $2 each along with 15 tubes of glue. I rustled up paints and brushes from my own hobby making supplies. I expected about 10 kids to show up--over 30 came, and there was a waiting list. This was one of the most satisfying clubs I ever ran, with the students wanting the club to run at least two days a week.
If I had to do it again I would make it a paper modellers club, to be sure.
Good luck with this project! Keep us all informed of your progress.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Oversubscribed Yet!

Milhistory,

I'm interested in how your program progresses. What is difficult to forecast is the interest level of the latest school age population. I think interest will be high because it combines computers with a concrete result - a kind of "maker" for paper. Can't really think of a lower cost and creative way of combining the various learning methodologies (eye, hand, mind) into a "can't wait for the class to begin" experience for your students.

I'd like to request that you keep us appraised of your "Pilgrim's Progress" in this endeavor...,

Best regards and the best of luck,

-Gil
Old 08-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Man... If anything ever tempted me to wish to be a teenager again, this would be it!

I'll join the others in wishing you absolutely THE BEST in this, PLEASE keep us informed of how things go!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
How can I sign up/?? Oh, a different state, I'M probably too old. Sorry about that.

Bob Neill
Old 08-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
I wish I could join...at least Ohio isn't too far away. I hope the kids enjoy the club, I certainly would! It would help me a lot with Inkscape.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Hi Brad, I wish you luck with your club. It should be a lot of fun. Please keep us posted on the clubs progress. I too will be interested in seeing what the interest level will be. I hope it is a big success.

A friend of mine at work asked me to do a career day presentation on illustration and graphic design at his son’s school. I designed this school bus model as a hand out. I wonder how many of the kids put it together. I’d be happy to modify the kit with your school’s information if you would like to use it.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement. Club sign-ups came and went and I ended up having six students choose mine. The entire school is only about 100 students, so I am happy with this first year result.

The club is a diverse group, with two students from China, two from Vietnam, and two from the United States.

The first day went well, although "digital natives" are not as computer savvy as they believe. I had to help several install Inkscape. The worst was getting it to run on a Macintosh.

While the students seemed eager to get started making projects, Inkscape and Vector graphics were new concepts to them. The idea of a 2-dimensional space to create 3-dimensional models was foreign. Most thought one could design straight from Photoshop (the only thing they knew). I think I will have to win over a couple of students who have only used 3D software.

I will spend the next club time going over the basic tools of Inkscape. I will also have them design a simply house structure and allow them to decorate it as they please.

Hopefully I can post photos soon of their progress.

Brad