PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
Sorry Herky but this far I haven’t included any davits into my upgrade sets. You are stuck with paper I’m afraid, unless you find some other source...
no i understand this.most davits are different from ship to ship and i would rather remain true to card parts only.still i hate davits
Old 11-27-2016, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 123.55 MB
The 3D core sounds a natural extension to laser cut part, brass gun barrels and photo etching, not every ones cup of tea but useful. I personally like the vents and winches, something I have been playing with in my very rare spare time. as Herky said cost to the the rest of the world is high, any chance in selling the stl files to those who have 3D printer access, or find some on to market them down here?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good points Raysven. Stl files are proprietary so selling them I would have to ask a lot more than the part itself. But looking at some options, I guess it might be possible allowing local service bureau to print one or two copies on demand. If you got one near by and their service is less than Shapeways you should contact me privately and we'll try arranging something.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 AM

Just wanted to let you know, today is Cyber Monday and all parts are 25% off plus free shipping. When ordering please enter code; SMALLBIZMONDAY at the checkout. Happy modeling.
Paper Lab Shop is here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/paper-lab

Darius
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Darius, I got here from your link in my Corvette thread. I saw the 3D printed hull a while ago, but didn’t realise it was yours. It’s a great idea, as are the cast detail parts, but for me personally a paper model should be as near 100% paper as possible. Having said that, if the price of getting the hull perfect is to use a bit of plastic, well....hmmm!

Having closely spaced, laser-cut card hull structures might be a good compromise, since it might reduce the inevitable tolerance stack of standard hand-cut, sparse spaced versions, while giving more surface area for glueing. I’ve only built 3 card models, all HMV, so apologies if this is already an established technique.

BTW, just out of interest, is the Corvette hull available as a downloadable .stl file? I have a 3D printer and would be intrigued to see if the spare hull sides I have fit into it.

Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 AM

Big majority of people fiddling with paper models are perfectly OK staying with paper almost exclusively. I like it too. But there is a number of us, as a hard core scratch builder I include myself in this group too, who don't mind punching through old traditions...

I'm hoping to have 3D printed hull plugs for all my future models. They probably look differently than initial attempt at Agassiz but the idea is the same. Nicely executed hull is critical to the success of the entire model. In your case you arrived to very high quality without too much fuss, others might not, this gives them little helping hand and after all it's hidden inside so doesn't spoil paper composition. I also like it because it speeds up whole assembly process, gives the model some heft and makes it feel solid when handling.

Having said all that, I'm considering adding laser cut frames ( .5 mm thick card stock ) too, making hull building easier fro all those who prefer pure paper....

3D hull core is a little commercial product of mine so releasing stl file to public would be rather counterproductive... sorry.

Darius
Old 03-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 190.73 MB
Was any specific glue used to bond the paper to the 3D printed hull ?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM

Hi Twotter,

if you look at my first post you'll see photos showing all glue types I tested with the hull core and they all work. It's probably safe to say that if the glue is good in bonding paper it should also be effective bonding paper to the hull core. Even the water based glues seems to work just fine and that's what I used making my sample...

Darius
Old 03-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.73 MB
Thank you, Darius.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.50 MB
I have always been interested in the Flower class and the Agassiz model really caught my eye. Have some basic skills with paper models but I sure am glad I ordered the Shapeways hull. The decks must be perfect to have a solid structure and anyone who can do that with the egg crate structure is much better than am I. Two things, the Shapeways hull must be sanded to remove the ridges from the surface because they will telegraph through the paper when glued on the hull and I needed a lot of dry fitting of the paper parts. At this scale accuracy and attention to line is vital. I cut the front of the main deck sliver by sliver to get the aft end of the paper perfect with the hull. I used regular Elmer’s glue with no problems so far. I know I will order the laser parts and I might order the Shapeways deck fitting. I think it is going to be one of my best efforts.
Google Adsense