PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Just my 2 cents on the whole shapeways thing, and 3D printing in paper modeling...

I am a modeler, I prefer paper as my main medium, I only buy paper kits, however I'm perfectly OK with using whatever medium I require to achieve a nice looking model.

On my current build of the Millennium Falcon, I looked into buying a couple of detail parts from shapeways, parts that didn't appear too easy to build from scratch in paper. The thing that put me off was the price. Although I finally convinced myself to buy them anyway, seeing as I was already using a free kit as the base for my model, it was the postage that stopped me in my tracks... $25AUD just for postage, for some tiny little parts that would fit in a standard envelope.

Speaking for myself, I fell in love with this hobby for many reasons but one of the big ones was the availability of free models and the cost of commercial kits compared to the prices of plastic kits. I think this is the case for a lot of modelers who enjoy this hobby.

While I would love to buy some 3D printed parts to enhance my models, I think the whole 3D printing scene still has a long way to go until it's going to reach a price point that's more accessible to the average modeler.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Rporter,

thank you for purchasing 3d hull from my Shapeways store. I think you bought upgrade sets too. Thanks.
If this is your first time with this type of material I would suggest to:
1. Expose it to UV light for few hours under uv lamp or sun
2. Wash with dishwashing detergent diluted in water using soft toothbrush and than rinse under running cold water
3. Let it dry, no hair dryers of any kind, and finally proceed with some sanding and polishing where required.

You are absolutely right about the deck surfaces. Personally I'd prefer using modeling putty and than sanding it flat rather than dry sanding printed surfaces. It might be slightly easier this way.
Anyways, good luck with your project. It's a hobby as long as you get a kick out of it...

Darius
Old 07-23-2019, 05:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 48.50 MB
For me the Shapeways was a better deal. I looked at the laser parts and detail parts from Germany and postage was high for stuff that could fit in an envelope. I think Shapeways prints in the US which helps a lot on the postage.

I sanded my hull flat, would have used putty but could not find any and did not want to drive to the store. Still got slight telegraph on upper deck but you really have to look for it. Decks fit perfectly. Now working on the sides using the extra parts. The upper deck on the real ship is all one welded unit so there is a paper lip overhanging the hull and the sides butt up from underneath. Not easy and only get one time with glue. Still fun interesting model. I am not a paper only person and will use what works. The first vent might be fun to make in paper but not 10 so glad parts available.

I have used Shapeways before. I also model nn3 railroad and that’s tiny.
Did notice that the hull had a slight bow in it but that flattened out in a couple of days.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:26 AM

Little tip to be aware of. The first side looks good but the open deck was a little low and I trimmed the inner deck sides to match. That was an error and the other side was installed lining deck and paper looking against a light to see both the core edge and the paper lines. Much better.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi rporter

just found out your post. Have any photos to help understand the issue described...? Thanks

Quote:
Little tip to be aware of. The first side looks good but the open deck was a little low and I trimmed the inner deck sides to match. That was an error and the other side was installed lining deck and paper looking against a light to see both the core edge and the paper lines. Much better.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:19 PM

The error was mine, I was careless about placement of the paper. The hull was correct.