PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Old 10-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz

Arguably it’s not something for every card modeler out there either because of philosophical or financial reasons but for those few willing to give it a try I have something new I’ve recently developed and tested for the HMCS Agassiz model published by HMV a few months ago.

I call it 3D Hull Core, it is 3D printed hull form and is intended as replacement for the internal hull frames allowing easier assembly and higher quality surfaces to be obtained by elimination of wavy and saggy hull sides and decks. I tested it myself and it works like a dream. You can see it on attached images.

There is a leaflet showing the assembly process on Paper Lab Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/PaperLabPublishing/
Unfortunately Paper Lab regular website is still under reconstruction and all this info is not available there. It will as soon as I can complete it’s redesign, which should happen within a week or two.

3D Hull Core is already available form Paper Lab Shapeways store here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/paper-lab

BTW if you have an opinion on this matter I would be very interested to hear it or even better if you tried my Core I hope you’d share your impressions.

Darius
Attached Thumbnails
3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-agassiz_3dhullcore_x1.jpg   3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-agassiz_3dhullcore_x4.jpg   3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-agassiz_3dhullcore_x6.jpg   3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-agassiz_3dhullcore_x11.jpg   3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-agassiz_3dhullcore_x12.jpg  

Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is a beautiful hull. I can see that some would prefer to build the entire model out of paper, but I can also see how many modelers would welcome this innovation.

Don
Old 10-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
It is a beautiful hull. I can see that some would prefer to build the entire model out of paper, but I can also see how many modelers would welcome this innovation.

Don
Sure, Don,
sounds like a simple way to create a perfect hull - reminds me when I glued prefabricated plastic models on a high level together.
It's my philosophy to use my brain and my fingers - to be trained with my fine motor skills. If we go further on the 3dway we will put the cardmodeling into the grave like any other nice things ..
I hope the next cardmodel will be released as a 3D one ...

kind regards
Wilfried
Old 10-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
looks great but would add heaps to postage of models from overseas which in case of nz is everywhere.great if you have the gear at home to do it
Old 10-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Herky, you probably right about shipping cost to NZ as the Shapeways facilities are located in New York and Netherlands only so basically model builders in Europe and North America can benefit the most.

Darius
Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
Herky, you probably right about shipping cost to NZ as the Shapeways facilities are located in New York and Netherlands only so basically model builders in Europe and North America can benefit the most.

Darius
yup i dont buy laser parts for the same reason.makes papermodelling expensive over here
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 330.32 MB
two questions
how many models is option available for?
how much money are we talking about?
Old 10-04-2016, 03:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Following the link provided in the first post here Paper Lab by PaperLab - Shapeways Shops yields two answers:
Available only for the Agassiz right now.
$35.00
Old 10-04-2016, 05:46 AM

In my opinion the price is it’s weakest point but that’s how much Shapeways charges for their services, I have only tiny slice out of it and minimal influence over the cost calculation. Hopefully sometime in the future those prices can come down, but I doubt anything happening anytime soon.

As for other models, this was planned for another thread but since you asked...

I am currently busy working on another waterline model for the HMV; USS England DE-635. It’s going to be your typical paper model where, with the exception of few wires, 99% of it can be made out of of paper. It will also allow, as a side option, to build all the internal formers from laser cut 1 mm thick card and of course special edition of another 3D Hull Core.

In fact I’m hoping to offer 3D Cores for all my future projects.

Darius
Attached Thumbnails
3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-england_x1.jpg   3D Hull Core For HMV Agassiz-england_x2.jpg  
Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLab View Post
In my opinion the price is it’s weakest point but that’s how much Shapeways charges for their services, I have only tiny slice out of it and minimal influence over the cost calculation. Hopefully sometime in the future those prices can come down, but I doubt anything happening anytime soon.

As for other models, this was planned for another thread but since you asked...

I am currently busy working on another waterline model for the HMV; USS England DE-635. It’s going to be your typical paper model where, with the exception of few wires, 99% of it can be made out of of paper. It will also allow, as a side option, to build all the internal formers from laser cut 1 mm thick card and of course special edition of another 3D Hull Core.

In fact I’m hoping to offer 3D Cores for all my future projects.

Darius
as i said the price plus postage to nz makes it an expensive model.i will be very interested in your new card model you are working on if its going to availible to purchase either as a printed model or a download.1 quick question what scale will it be?
Google Adsense