PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
The reason why so many young people aren't interested in (paper) modelling is I think quite easy to explain. Just look around you. Here in the Netherlands all of the younger people cannot take their ayes away from that stupid little screen of their smartphones. They can't leave them alone for one minute. They even do it while cycling for Pete's sake.
When you are young, I guess those screen-bound virtual connections with peers apparently is enough. Their hobbies (at least where I live) are mainly gaming, going out, 'netflix-and-chill' and the occasional sports.
Model making takes patience. Something lots of youngsters don't yet have, alt least not for model making. I guess that only when you get some spare time you can develop interests like this.
There are always exceptions to the rule, look at some of the teenagers and twentysomethings that are over here at the forum. But those are few and far between.

As for Gerard, being a fellow Dutchie I guess what he says is what he means. The Dutch are quite straightforward (to almost rude) in their honestness and I think Gerard is really sad seeing his models just downloaded, stored and not made. He wanted to call it quits a year or so back but then in the end it still was too much funto leave alone.
I guess he likes to share his creations but he has become reluctant because of the piracy issues. Something he can't do anything about except waking over his models and keep track somehow of who downloads them. I don't blame him for it but I cannot really see whether that actually helps.

@Dave: I know exactly what you mean about model railways. The trains are only a side issue. My dad had a model railway. N-gauge. He just laid out a grassy underlayer, laid out the rails and put some ugly looking little cardboard boxes as houses here and there. I was 6 or 7 and I was furious at my dad because that was not how it was supposed to look. There should have been a road, a couple of nice bungalows, shrubs, trees and a pond! I guess my dad was a real model train fan and I there and then came out as the model maker.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Friends

I find this discussion extremely interesting.
Gerard I particularly think that your motivation is fair, but not correct.
I particularly think that complaining about the lack of attention to feedbacks or built models excuses my friend in saying this is almost childish.
The world of modeling has changed over the last few decades. Modelism whatever it has always been an adult hobby. Young people are interested in the world around them, which has nothing to do with airplanes, tanks or ships. Just see the amount of models extracted from video game games. Even when I became a papermodeler I had an "outbreak" of video game ship models.
As a teacher and observing my children and the friends of my children, my nephews and their friends, I can say that at least in Brazil, modeling is experiencing an unprecedented crisis, especially plastic modelling, with stores closing and a decrease of fans. Here papermodelling has a significant space, but observing well who does it, are young people in the 20 years in general salaried employees coming from the areas of technology, is very strong the construction of figures of super heroes, video game characters and formula 1 cars. There, is clear the people of piracy and this one moves, more and more I arrive at conclusion because the model is there of free, and I think that both Rubem and David hit Gerard, in his diagnoses. In Brazil the plastic modellers who join boxes are called "caixeiros" in a freer translation if it is possible "boxers" or box modellers, they are people who accumulate models over the years without assembling, in some cases they would need to live 10000 years to construct the whole collection. Why that? The power of choice! Now of course there is a disease in extreme cases. The difference of the collection of boxes for the HD virtual collection of paper models is based on the fact that the second one is invisible, but it is there giving the power of choice to the modeler.
I think Gerard, you should also realize that often a feedback is not issued, not to embarrass a person like you who has many successes regarding the availability of their models. I even tried to mount the Vampire and the T-33 without success. Will I one day try again? Certainly and that's how it works. There are those who ride, there are those who try and there are those who give up. You need to be prepared not to listen, because those who actually build models generally seek not to give negative feedbacks, even more on models that are not paid.
In my list are still to assemble the Dutch aircraft of the Second War and the Do-24, but realize, being on the list does not mean schedule. Their models are difficult to build, printing is hampered by textures in high resolution (but often poorly graphical), in modest equipment like mine, I take almost half an hour to print, they have no clear instructions and its restriction on downloads does not make them popular.
You saw how much feedback I mentioned from your Gerard manifestation. And the worst without building anything.
Finally, I think the decision to restrict, remove, or keep downloads of your models, absolutely sovereign, do what is best for you my friend. The real sense of the hobby of any hobby is fun, unless you live it or make money, which we know is not what happens.
I think collecting and disseminating data from your downloaders is harmless, because it is not a serious statistical study. It seems like an intimidating mechanism to prevent your models from being pirated by third parties. I think it would be more honest to tell you that this is the real reason, there are other ways to encourage kids with modeling, and certainly not with models full of formers that sometimes do not fit. His models are for advanced modelers, as much as you sometimes do not admit it.
I hardly get ready to enter into this type of discussion, my free time is not on the keyboard of the computer, but I think even for you feel better I would give this feedback as a habitual modeler who builds an average of 40 models a year and that conversation a lot with designers like Aaron and Bruno, but why? Basically why the access these people give modelers to help with design is broad. Think about it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Young people are interested in paper models.
But they are less interested in WW2 aircraft, than Star Wars figures.

So, it is as pointless as me asking why more WW2 Ship fans aren't building my Lost in Space models?

The advances in technology are mind boggling.
I love realistic virtual world gaming.
I even enjoy playing Gin Rummy on my phone.

Its true, the phone and tablet have become and mind altering distraction to many
and have killed many hobbies and other interests like scale modeling.
Gone are the days of solitary model building and all those other things we did quietly alone in our bedrooms. wink wink
Now we sit alone in our rooms playing on our phones. wink wink

LOL In some ways, its not that different.

But, technology has also spawned an odd occurence.
Sports and physical activities have been given a renewed life.

I would argue that in the last 10-15 years, there has been a resurgence in physical activity and healthy lifestyle as a result of the addiction to our phones and tablets.

My Daughter can't go anywhere without her smart phone (her primary internet connection and lifeline)
But she also has one of those Fit Bit wrist watch thingies.
She is obsessed with amassing a ridiculous number of steps each day and burning calories.

And now, after 10 years of serious facebook, instagram and messaging she has joined a gym.

So you see, modern technology has gotten her into shape.

Me...sitting in front of a computer all day long as almost killed me. LOL

err. what were we talking about?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenandres77 View Post
I already expressed my personal opinion on the subject above.

Now this message I write as moderator:

Please stop name callings and please refrain from the use of strong language.
It leads us nowhere, and this is a general public forum.

Thanks to both.
Yes Ruben, you're right - sorry.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Eternal Member

Sorry

Okay Rubén, you're right. Sorry.
Google Adsense
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I find designing much more enjoyable now.

I put things out there that are subjects I find interesting, and am thrilled when I see one built, but I don't expect them to be built.

I was especially getting frustrated when folks would request a certain topic, I design a model for them, and then they never built it. Now I really only do requests made by folks that have a history of building them. I also got fed up and threw in the towel on this hobby when I did a request for someone, and in three days it was on a pirate site.

I'm back, but designing things that interest me, and probably few others. Things that should have a paper model, but no one has done one. I also design models of a historical nature that are probably going to disappear, like the bank that Harry Truman worked for before he got into politics, the old Marshall's house and jail locally, and I hope to do some more local interest stuff.

As has been said, people collect models with varying degrees of desire to build the models. Even Volker from racepaper has model sheets 'suitable for framing'.

You just have to do things for you, and if someone wants to build it, be thrilled that they did
Old 04-18-2018, 02:07 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
You just have to do things for you, and if someone wants to build it, be thrilled that they did
Yes, that fondles the ego, how childish as someone over here called it, it may be.
Although, as long as you're not like children you won't ever reach (modeler's) heaven ;-)

How do you draw your models ?
Manually, by raster graphics or using a vector (CAD) programme ?
Once someone asked me whether he could re-scale one of my pdf's and alter texture and registration but I haven't got an answer on how he thought to do it without the original dwg and yet maintainig correct proportions.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I use Gimp for everything.

Historical subjects, I take photos or find an image and using perspective I square up panels (then tweak the image because perspective causes distortions). If I have dimensions that helps.

I seem to do lots of carts and coaches (horse-drawn). Those have odd curves and frames, so I make a guess at dimensions. Using the measuring tool, I can usually get close on the first go, but usually have to build and adjust.

I try to convert everything to vector, but sometimes it won't save that way.

So, how do I draw my models? Raster graphics, manual and vector. I really need to learn a 3D modeling program
Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
3D modeling makes some designs easier.
Especially if you have limited artistic abilities.
And 3D software makes it easy to work from elevation views or to use existing 3D designs.
Too many so called "designers" out there now.

I don't use 3D software...only because I don't have the time and patience to learn a new software.
I'd like to be able to design the complex shape of something like a fuselage and wing attachment.
But I have friends like Nobi!

Personally I get by with my artistic ability and CorelDraw.
Design in the mind...envision the structure, envision the unfolding of the structure, envision the unfolded parts.
Then draw them, in vector, in 2D.

I use vector and raster software to colour, texture and fill.

AS far as modifying an existing design...like rescaling and recolouring...
you don't need the original artwork.
Once again, there are programs that can open, invade and tear apart existing files.
PDFs for example, can often be opened into layers and original vector elements.
Depends on how far the original designer went to optimize the pages.
But even a rastered page can be toyed with in a graphics/paint editor and then modified.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1938 View Post
Yes, that fondles the ego, how childish as someone over here called it, it may be.
Although, as long as you're not like children you won't ever reach (modeler's) heaven ;-)

How do you draw your models ?
Manually, by raster graphics or using a vector (CAD) programme ?
Once someone asked me whether he could re-scale one of my pdf's and alter texture and registration but I haven't got an answer on how he thought to do it without the original dwg and yet maintainig correct proportions.
Gerard,

I think that was me. I don't actually have graphics software and did most of my recolors using Adobe Reader to capture screenshots and MS Powerpoint to edit the contents from the clipboard. As you can imagine, this is fairly limited and doesn't work for gradient or multicolor schemes so I gave up on my recolor of your Beaver. Sorry!
Google Adsense
Closed Thread