PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I use Gimp for everything.

Historical subjects, I take photos or find an image and using perspective I square up panels (then tweak the image because perspective causes distortions). If I have dimensions that helps.

I seem to do lots of carts and coaches (horse-drawn). Those have odd curves and frames, so I make a guess at dimensions. Using the measuring tool, I can usually get close on the first go, but usually have to build and adjust.

I try to convert everything to vector, but sometimes it won't save that way.

So, how do I draw my models? Raster graphics, manual and vector. I really need to learn a 3D modeling program
Indeed, chasing the measurements is I think the simpliest on planes. Certainly not on your subjects. But I understand that the challenge to get it as true as possible is attractive. Then the skewing I think is (now we're all digitally equipped ;-)) a satisfying business.
Yes, 3D for sure may be a well-supporting tool. In particular for creating developments. I've tried it a few times with Gimp, Blender, Metasequoia, Sketchup and may be another, I don't know anymore. As with the failed switch from QuickBasic64 to Visual I have concluded that (as an old dutch cabaret artist said) "I am too old for that rubbish"...
Have you ever tried the free 2D Autocad-compatible DraftSight ?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfuente View Post
Gerard,

I think that was me. I don't actually have graphics software and did most of my recolors using Adobe Reader to capture screenshots and MS Powerpoint to edit the contents from the clipboard. As you can imagine, this is fairly limited and doesn't work for gradient or multicolor schemes so I gave up on my recolor of your Beaver. Sorry!
No it was a dutch guy.
I have no idea how to manipulate graphics with Reader or PPT.
Decennia ago I saw a guy doing things with the professional version of Reader, but I have the idea that e.g. Paintshop and even the free PaintNet can do coloring and other pixel stuff as well and may be even better.
What actually did you have in mind for the Beaver ?
If you send a few clear pictures I think I may be able to substitute it in the model and send you the pdf.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Thanks Gerard,

I'm in the USA for now, away from my home PC so I can't do new recolors or show you my reference pictures. But if it's OK with you, I would appreciate getting the uncolored version of the Beaver (and maybe the Beech 18 too?) to recolor when I get home. I don't mind if you reduce it to a smaller scale so I don't compete with your offerings, since I usually scale them down to 1:72 for small aircraft or 1:144 for large aircraft.

My interest has been Philippine aircraft, so almost all recolors I've uploaded to Papermodelers have been recolored into Philippine markings. The Beaver on floats was flown by the Philippine Navy, and the Beech 18 was the first aircraft of Philippine Airlines.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 AM
Eternal Member

Let me start to tell you I am remembering the one whole year working on a geometric triangulation in behalf of an airbase in the centre of a desert area with only one Dutch (concrete) colleague and about twenty Philippine guys. Fine hard-working people. All of them. They kept going in spite of over 40°C.
Concerning the two models I will start re-scaling them to 72. I don't dare to go twice as small and do not consider the consequences of too small joints.
You just have to send me your mail address in a pm.
I'll start the 'job' ;-) as soon as my Fokker FII will have taken off.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Gerard,
I had to search for the Fokker F11 to see what it looked like. What scale will yours be? I really liked what I saw in the pictures.
Google Adsense
Old 04-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
Gerard,
I had to search for the Fokker F11 to see what it looked like. What scale will yours be? I really liked what I saw in the pictures.
I chose for 1:75 in view of the cabinet but whilst building it I saw that probably 1:50 had been more suitable. Anyhow my partner's first reaction was "lovely little thing". Yellow wings were helpful I think.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:25 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Gerard......... how do we get our password back? I think I lost it when my computer crashed at the end of last year.

Also does the password work for all of your models or just the one we requested?

john
The password you asked for in August '17 has been altered a few times John, so I'll send you the Connie pdf without pw.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Gerard could I have a download for the F11 when or if it is released? You've designed a real eye catcher there.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by at6 View Post
Gerard could I have a download for the F11 when or if it is released? You've designed a real eye catcher there.
FYI: It actually is FII (as in the Roman numeral 2). Fokker always numbered its planes with Roman numbers. Only after WWII (2, not eleven ) Fokker statred using arabic numerals. The F-25 Promotor was I think the first to enjoy that pleasure.

And yes, it indeed is a very curious looking crate, the FII.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:02 AM
Eternal Member

Thx. kosmopolitan ;-) and to mr. At6 I'd like to re-stipulate that, due to commercially infected so-called 'modelers', I have published my models one year long:
a) password protected;
b) only to people mentioning their full name, address, mail-address, forum-membership and telling which models they built in the past.

After the 100th password (there's no Freso CA. among them) I stopped this 'job' just because it started to feel like working.
Google Adsense
Closed Thread